Super Furry Animals!

michael eavis' beard

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, newish to the forums, getting hyped up for first Glasto on my own (5th overall I think) and looking for a different experience this year.

Usually Foos would have me pyramiding on Friday night but now playing with the idea of Hot Chip or SFA and so have started listening to both back catalogues and surprised by how many SFA tracks I know and like.

Just wondering what it is that gets so many on here excited to see them? Is it the personality on stage, the live performance or the crowd? Or is it just knowing the songs so well?

I guess what I want to know is if I turn up not being so familiar with them will I get drawn in or do I need to be big fan first?

Great fucking songs.

While Oasis spent the best part of two decades mouthing off about The Beatles, SFA were actually listening to them, taking notes and applying the lessons to their art. If they didn't quite pull it off, they got a damn sight closer than most.

Stage banter/ personality will probably be lacking, though.

While Oasis spent the best part of two decades mouthing off about The Beatles, SFA were actually listening to them, taking notes and applying the lessons to their art. If they didn't quite pull it off, they got a damn sight closer than most.

Stage banter/ personality will probably be lacking, though.

Having heard Gruff on the radio I haven't got high expectations of banter, he seems very considered in everything he says and happy to say little if it's not needed. I can quite imagine on stage he lets the music do the talking

damn anyone see this? I love this video

One of my favourite SFA tunes. I have never seen it live. Would love it, but seriously doubt they will drop it at Glasto. Im sure they will keep it up tempo for most of the gig. Sure its not on any of their recent sets, is it?

Drop that on the Friday night and there may be a tear or two shed.............

I have pretty much decided now based on the times that I will be at SFA. I will do the first hour of Foos, then mission up stopping at Bread and Roses on the way for a pint most likely before venturing in.

Thanks to all those in the Foos thread and in here for the reccomendations. I can't believe I never liked them before. Hopefully we get Slow Life that is my favourite song of theirs that I have heard!

SFA getting announced for Glasto this year and this thread has kicked my arse in to gear for delving deeper in to their back catalouge beyond the 5 or so songs i knew and now im loving them! All my mates are seeing Foo's who i would usually go to see despite only liking the first 3 albums, but i get the feeling seeing these lads up at the park will be special!

Ive listened to Lovekraft a ridiculous amount of times over the past couple of months!

Edited by Familiar2billions

Gruff's solo stage persona as some sort of bumbling stoner, constantly pausing and scratching his head, must surely be an act. I refuse to believe he's that confused a man.

I've always thought he struggles slightly with the English language, in that the pauses are due to him thinking what he wants to say in Welsh before translating.

They should start on Slow Life I reckon. They've been opening on [A] Touch Sensative and, while it was enjoyable, I'd much rather they left it with such a small set.

they opened with that in 2007 so I reckon they might start with something else. I have a feeling this year's set is going to be pretty similar to that year, which was rather "hit" heavy, though with the hey venus songs ditched in favour of mwng

Oh, I swear I remember them playing it. Still, Slow Life would be such a good kick off.

Starts with them off stage - then they come on and finish it live - then into "Rings". Or at least that was how it worked it Cardiff.

Russy's spot on there - a repeat of 2007 with less Venus - more Mwng. Which'll do for me