Weather thread 2015

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack's involvement is when this thread peaks my interest. I forgot what an emotional rollercoaster the weather speculation is. I've only known one Glastonbury and I could cope with last year ok - it was so sunny on the Wednesday I got sunburn. Thursday was dry, and it was only really Friday that was a bit shocking, but most of that happened before I left my tent.

I'm freezing - I'm sat looking at the downpour in Sheffield thinking about the weather at Glastonbury. I have no hope, I have accepted rain and wellies!

2011 was terrible though, got drenched in the queue to come in, rain stopped for us to put up the tent and then it rained again. I took a nap early in the morning because I was having a bit of a sulk about the weather - was a good nap though!

If I'm not mistaken those blokes look like they're setting up a gazebo. Naughty naughty

my other half's dad is adamant he is bringing his Gazebo this year.

I am fighting with him daily saying they aren't welcome and he seems to think one won't make a difference.

I fucking hate gazebo's at festivals.

I am a bit of a weather nerd. RE Forecasts don't even start looking until a week before for reliability.

I have been going since 2010 and have noticed it doesn't take that much rain to turn it muddy though on the positive side it also doesn't take that much sun to make it dry out again.

Fingers crossed and all eyes up from about a week out.

Sunny spells and dry. Temps around 22c will do for me.

Given the option, would you take a repeat of last years weather?

I think I would

dry when arriving and leaving.

Warm enough without being too hot

Only a few showers.

Not too windy

Yeah, 'd be happy enough with that again

No. Not a chance. Last year was terrible weather.

After 2007 and 2011, it's probably the 3rd worst I've been to weather wise - hell, even 2005 was better. At least the rain that year was all during the night and the site had largely dried up within about a day and a half. "Only a few showers?" No. Last year had rain on several days (definitely thurs+fri, I think sat as well) and fell during the day while people were walking the site, meaning the ground got churned up - which meant wearing wellies for most of the weekend as most of the mud never really dried.

No. Not a chance. Last year was terrible weather.

"Only a few showers?" No. Last year had rain on several days (definitely thurs+fri, I think sat as well) and fell during the day while people were walking the site, meaning the ground got churned up - which meant wearing wellies for most of the weekend as most of the mud never really dried.

OK, the downpours were concentrated in shorter bursts then. I'd rather that than consistent drizzle, at least you only had to get under over for shorter periods.

Over the last 15 years I've been going last year would be pretty much middle of the road weather wise, certainly wouldn't be classed as terrible

Ok, well, of the ones I can speak for, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013 all had better weather than last year. 2007 and 2011 had worse, so it's pretty lopsided for me.

I chose poorly when pitching halfway up Pennards in 2005, I woke up one morning at 6am ish in a river. The water draining off the field was running through my tent. I grabbed my stuff threw it 4ft to the side of my tent (where there was no river). 2 minutes later the water carried off my tent where it disappeared in the large flood at the bottom of Pennards.

I don't remember much about the weather for the rest of that year!

Ouch.

I can appreciate the plight of those poor souls at the bottom of Pennards or whose tents didn't withstand the deluge.

But in all honesty, that 4 hour overnight spell aside, the weather was cracking that year. I don't think a drop of rain fell either before or after that one downpour, and the site itself held up pretty well because the rain came down at a time when few people were around to churn up the ground (and given the chaos people woke up to on Friday morning, many people weren't out and about for a few hours). Even the places were affected by mud had dried out by early Saturday afternoon.

Even if 2005 was worse than last year (and I can certainly appreciate why you'd see it like that), I still make it that still a majority of the last 11 years were better - most of them significantly so.

A repeat of 2008, 2009, 2013 (which were all pretty similar weather wise)? I'd still grumble about the rain but take the deal if offered. Last year? Nah.

A repeat of 2008, 2009, 2013 (which were all pretty similar weather wise)? I'd still grumble about the rain but take the deal if offered. Last year? Nah.

2008, 2009 + 2013 I agree were better than last yr. I'd like better than last yr, but if it was offered as an option again (knowing it could go 2007 / 2001 wards) I'd take the offer