Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

On 03/11/2015, 21:50:33, stuartbert two hats said:

Just for you, here's the finished track.

http://mightyquinny.bandcamp.com/track/stone-soup

EDIT:  I'm not so needy to keep spamming this forum with all my tunes, don't worry.  It's only because I've just got back into it and wanted to tell my e-friends.  Plus Time Being did say he liked it. Anyway, everybody please listen if you have chance and give me honest feedback if you can be arsed, even (especially) if it's little things like "that bit at 5:42 is a bit busy". Or even you just think it's shit, especially if you can say why.  After all, I AM going to be playing the festival one day.  No, really ;)

Finally got around to listening to this. I liked it, I think it is pretty interesting, packed full of ideas, from trance, psytrance, electronica... If anything there is a little too much going on, but I wouldn't discourage you on that score.

It isn't somthing I'd expect to hear in a club, but I think there were a lot of individual parts of the tune which could be expanded upon for a "club mix'. At around 4 mins, there is a Prydz-esque moment which I would have liked to hear more of.

It could do with a bassline running through it, but you have picked sounds and synths which I really like. You need to keep on with this!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Finally got around to listening to this. I liked it, I think it is pretty interesting, packed full of ideas, from trance, psytrance, electronica... If anything there is a little too much going on, but I wouldn't discourage you on that score.

It isn't somthing I'd expect to hear in a club, but I think there were a lot of individual parts of the tune which could be expanded upon for a "club mix'. At around 4 mins, there is a Prydz-esque moment which I would have liked to hear more of.

It could do with a bassline running through it, but you have picked sounds and synths which I really like. You need to keep on with this!

Thanks for the precise feedback.  If you don't mind, could you be more specific about the Pyrdz part, I.e. exactly when does it start and end?

Too much going on, that's generally what everyone is saying when I push them.  In fact there's not that much complexity in the track, I just need to get the arrangement right so that it doesn't sound complicated and busy even if it is complex.  Brian Wilson has spoken about how in the mid-60s he would make his complex arrangements sound simple.  You don't listen to California Girls or Wouldn't It Be Nice and find all the parts overwhelming, but they're probably an order of magnitude more complex than my stuff.  So, I want Brian Wilson level arrangements, how hard can that be eh? ;)

One last question, what would prevent this track from being included in a Hamer Time mix?  I'm guessing from what you said you wouldn't feature it now, but can you point to anything that would make you consider it if it was changed?  Don't worry, I'm not going to expect you to drop one of my songs into your mixes :)

Thanks again for the feedback, it's much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2015, 16:21:34, stuartbert two hats said:

Thanks for the precise feedback.  If you don't mind, could you be more specific about the Pyrdz part, I.e. exactly when does it start and end?

Too much going on, that's generally what everyone is saying when I push them.  In fact there's not that much complexity in the track, I just need to get the arrangement right so that it doesn't sound complicated and busy even if it is complex.  Brian Wilson has spoken about how in the mid-60s he would make his complex arrangements sound simple.  You don't listen to California Girls or Wouldn't It Be Nice and find all the parts overwhelming, but they're probably an order of magnitude more complex than my stuff.  So, I want Brian Wilson level arrangements, how hard can that be eh? ;)

One last question, what would prevent this track from being included in a Hamer Time mix?  I'm guessing from what you said you wouldn't feature it now, but can you point to anything that would make you consider it if it was changed?  Don't worry, I'm not going to expect you to drop one of my songs into your mixes :)

Thanks again for the feedback, it's much appreciated. 

Apologies for the length of time taken to respond. I have hardly been on here in a while and didn't want to give you a half arsed answer. 

Firstly, when I say "too much going on", I mean that there are too many phases to the track, If that makes sense. It is as if the full tune is laid out like a set, with different elements and stages to it.  Psytrance does this. I like psytrance, but I do find it a little "busy".  I think there is often a worry that it has been too monotonous, but by changing the tone, the same riff will work.

I listened to it again a few times and I think it lacks a rolling bassline. The drum beat drives the track, but it could do with something else to push it along.

For dj'ing I am more into deeper basslines and darker sounds than what you have made, but I would like to hear more of your stuff.

There are individual stages that I would have liked to have heard you expand upon.

For example....

The "Prydz bit" was from 4:18, the way the deeper synth was dropped in was early prydz-esque. I would have like to hear that kind of thing run throughout a tune as a whole. That has potential for me.

I don't want you thinking I have pulled it apart as I genuinely think that if you are starting from this point, there is a lot of potential in what you are doing.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Apologies for the length of time taken to respond. I have hardly been on here in a while and didn't want to give you a half arsed answer. 

Firstly, when I say "too much going on", I mean that there are too many phases to the track, If that makes sense. It is as if the full tune is laid out like a set, with different elements and stages to it.  Psytrance does this. I like psytrance, but I do find it a little "busy".  I think there is often a worry that it has been too monotonous, but by changing the tone, the same riff will work.

I listened to it again a few times and I think it lacks a rolling bassline. The drum beat drives the track, but it could do with something else to push it along.

For dj'ing I am more into deeper basslines and darker sounds than what you have made, but I would like to hear more of your stuff.

There are individual stages that I would have liked to have heard you expand upon.

For example....

The "Prydz bit" was from 4:18, the way the deeper synth was dropped in was early prydz-esque. I would have like to hear that kind of thing run throughout a tune as a whole. That has potential for me.

I don't want you thinking I have pulled it apart as I genuinely think that if you are starting from this point, there is a lot of potential in what you are doing.

You liked that synth?  It was a real throwaway part for me, I wasn't really keen, interesting that you like it.

Yes, you're right about there being no real bassline throughout.  There is a deep, slow bassline that appears now and again (e.g. 1:21), but it not something with the energy to really drive the track.  If you listen to my other tracks on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/stuartq22) you'll see that those kind of basslines are a definite weakness of mine.  Something I'm hoping to remedy now that I've started using technology that will allow me to sing parts and translate them into MIDI. 

I see what you're saying about all the phases.  I'll freely admit it's a side-effect of not having enough confidence in a particular groove to just let it go and breathe for longer.  I'm more influenced by the poppier kind of electronic music like the Chemicals or early Fatboy song structure wise, even though the music I'm currently making lends itself more to the drawn out style.  Strange to reference The Beach Boys again, but I was always fascinated by the 'pocket symphony' concept in Good Vibrations where a symphonies worth of ideas were squeezed into 3:38!

Don't worry about over-criticising.  The fact that you've taken so much time to give this feedback is a far bigger compliment to the music than someone just saying it's 'really good' and nothing more.  You've really put effort in and I really appreciate it.  The way I'm looking at it is that the music must have some intrinsic worth for you to spend the time.  Besides, I'm a programmer by day, so I've learn many years ago that any criticism just makes me better.  After all, I genuinely want to make the best possible music, not just have a handful of friends nod and say it's ok!

BTW, what genre would you put it in?  I can listen to a track and talk for hours about how it's put together, but I've no idea what genre a given track is in.  

Edited by stuartbert two hats

On 06/11/2015, 20:30:05, stuartbert two hats said:

How come you're trying GarageBand after using FL Studio? Are there any advantages? It just seems less powerful than FL Studio to me. Well, with less control, even if there are lots of nice things like virtual drummers.

I've only used the iPad version admittedly.

I have just taken the plunge and started to have a pop at producing and playing piano. After djing and collecting vinyl for the best part of 20 years I have decided to give it ago.

I have bought Logic, a Maschine Mk2, Novation Impulse 61 and I am now saving for some monitors. It is fair to say I have not got a clue what I am doing so if anyone has any tips or advice then they would be greatly appreciated.

Just now, eastynh said:

I have just taken the plunge and started to have a pop at producing and playing piano. After djing and collecting vinyl for the best part of 20 years I have decided to give it ago.

I have bought Logic, a Maschine Mk2, Novation Impulse 61 and I am now saving for some monitors. It is fair to say I have not got a clue what I am doing so if anyone has any tips or advice then they would be greatly appreciated.

There's a music production group starting up in Manchester if that's any good to you:

http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-Synth-and-Electronic-Music-Production-Group

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

There's a music production group starting up in Manchester if that's any good to you:

http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-Synth-and-Electronic-Music-Production-Group

Anything is good for me mate.

Have just finished reading the convo between you and Fuzzy. Have you got a link to your sound cloud?

My only tip is stop saving and start playing ;) 

No seriously, you have enough kit with a keyboard, headphones and laptop. More kit will only give you limited extra possibilities and at this stage will probably reduce your focus. Having said that, good monitors probably are ultimately vital, but a good set of headphones + normal stereo speakers will get you a long long way.

Try not to learn how to use all the kit and software and concentrate on making a song with as limited a scope as possible.  Don't try to learn every modular synths going, the subtleties of compressionn and advanced FX routing all at once.  I'd be tempted to ignore either your Maschine or Novation  for a few months whilst you get to a point where you have a core set of capabilities that feel natural.  Make tunes, make as many as you can and don't worry too much about how good they are yet.  Just make something, it's the best way to learn.

I'm in Stockport, would be interested in hearing anything you're working on.  Here's my Soundcloud.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My only tip is stop saving and start playing ;) 

No seriously, you have enough kit with a keyboard, headphones and laptop. More kit will only give you limited extra possibilities and at this stage will probably reduce your focus. Having said that, good monitors probably are ultimately vital, but a good set of headphones + normal stereo speakers will get you a long long way.

Try not to learn how to use all the kit and software and concentrate on making a song with as limited a scope as possible.  Don't try to learn every modular synths going, the subtleties of compressionn and advanced FX routing all at once.  I'd be tempted to ignore either your Maschine or Novation  for a few months whilst you get to a point where you have a core set of capabilities that feel natural.  Make tunes, make as many as you can and don't worry too much about how good they are yet.  Just make something, it's the best way to learn.

I'm in Stockport, would be interested in hearing anything you're working on.  Here's my Soundcloud.

Cheers mate. I really am just at the start. At present I am just trying to put beats together and get my head around programming drums. I am in no rush though and will take my time.

I am hoping that the theoretical side is a little easier for me as I will be coming at it from an electrical engineering background. It is finding out which button does what at present.

I am going to get the monitors as I have been told they are the most important piece of kit you can get. I have been looking at the Genelec M040. You are right though in regards to getting stuck in. I have been doing that much overtime trying to pay for everything that I have not had time to use everything.

The plan is to make pure plinky plonk electro pop which is not really a shock considering my New Order and Depeche Mode obsessions :-)

Once xmas is out the way I should have a lot more time to get stuck in. If you only live round the corner then you are more than welcome to come and have a ganders at how I am getting on. Plus any advice you can give would be appreciated.

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You liked that synth?  It was a real throwaway part for me, I wasn't really keen, interesting that you like it.

Yes, you're right about there being no real bassline throughout.  There is a deep, slow bassline that appears now and again (e.g. 1:21), but it not something with the energy to really drive the track.  If you listen to my other tracks on Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/stuartq22) you'll see that those kind of basslines are a definite weakness of mine.  Something I'm hoping to remedy now that I've started using technology that will allow me to sing parts and translate them into MIDI. 

I see what you're saying about all the phases.  I'll freely admit it's a side-effect of not having enough confidence in a particular groove to just let it go and breathe for longer.  I'm more influenced by the poppier kind of electronic music like the Chemicals or early Fatboy song structure wise, even though the music I'm currently making lends itself more to the drawn out style.  Strange to reference The Beach Boys again, but I was always fascinated by the 'pocket symphony' concept in Good Vibrations where a symphonies worth of ideas were squeezed into 3:38!

Don't worry about over-criticising.  The fact that you've taken so much time to give this feedback is a far bigger compliment to the music than someone just saying it's 'really good' and nothing more.  You've really put effort in and I really appreciate it.  The way I'm looking at it is that the music must have some intrinsic worth for you to spend the time.  Besides, I'm a programmer by day, so I've learn many years ago that any criticism just makes me better.  After all, I genuinely want to make the best possible music, not just have a handful of friends nod and say it's ok!

BTW, what genre would you put it in?  I can listen to a track and talk for hours about how it's put together, but I've no idea what genre a given track is in.  

Agreed with the bassline comments. I imagine when you are producing tracks at home it's quite hard to imagine what they might sound like on a loud club or festival system. Some of the most effective and memorable club tracks are little more than drums, a solid bass line and a few other bits and pieces. Plus the ladies are always keen on the bass. For example the track below sound ok if you listen to it  at home but on a big club system it comes in to its own

9 hours ago, eastynh said:

Whats Maschine like? I love what you can do with it, just looks soooo complicated to use. Is it prefered over the APC40?

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I am surprised that you quote the Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim, as those are not influences I picked up on in the track. Psy-trance, sasha, digweed, John OO Fleming would have been what I'd have picked. 

If I pigeon-holed it into a genre I'd say progressive psytance. Just in the way it is structured. On the face of it the tune below is very different, but I don't think it is. In tone it is, but it has differing elements in the way yours does and I do hear similarities in what you are looking to do.

I think you may enjoy It. It is a progressive psy tune that has made it into an old mix of mine...

On 20/11/2015, 22:36:14, Slugworth said:

Whats Maschine like? I love what you can do with it, just looks soooo complicated to use. Is it prefered over the APC40?

I  really just pressing buttons at the minute mate and trying to work stuff out. It makes some pretty funky noises anyway even if I don't know how it is doing it. I really am a novice.

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Underworld have announced 2 nights at the Roundhouse in late March, they have 7 new tracks as well into the bargain 

The Roundhouse website says "Fri and Saturday 25th + 26th"

Underworld's says "Thursday and Friday 24th and 25th"

It is Easter weekend that weekend. 

Can I afford the trip down to London that weekend when Glastonbury is paid for a week or so afterwards?

Certainly at the more obscure end of the 'Electronica' spectrum, but any one else enjoying Anoxia by L A N D?

Takes a while to get used to the almost entirely percussive structure, but I like it a lot (and enough to have pulled the trigger on the very limited clear vinyl - I'm a marketing man's dream...)

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Couple of my mates are going, if I was heading to London for NYE I reckon I would be going to Shapes for Floating Points and Levon Vincent, London on NYE can be a properly grim experience though

That Shapes lineup is amazing but it's nowhere near worth £45 on top of the collected awfulness of NYE. I'm thinking of saving the money and going out on the 2nd instead.