Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Not *exactly* Glastonbury related, other than as an unlikely ambition, but I've been doing electronic music again for the first time in years, and have thrown a couple of WIP tracks onto SoundCloud
http://soundcloud.com/stuartq22/stone-soup

Anyone else produce music?

My friend produces psytrance. It isnt really my thing, but may interest some people. Mad as Hell and TearDrop have some well known samples:

All free downloads...

http://revoltdigital.co.uk/releases/trance-generation-album/

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I had a dream about this video last night. It wasn't pleasant. 

It should come with some sort of warning I think. Hard to stop watching as his nose is quite hypnotic! 

Imagine the scenes when Anklepants takes to the Hell Stage at 4am...

Edited by rubenz

It should come with some sort of warning I think. Hard to stop watching as his nose is quite hypnotic! 

Imagine the scenes when Anklepants takes to the Hell Stage at 4am...

2 hour slot, 4am Monday morning. What a way to end the festival that would be.

And perfect nightmare fuel for when you get back home, sweating in bed and struggling to sleep.

He did play the Hell stage, in 2013:

Edited by Winslow Leach

I dug that, sounds really cool

Just for you, here's the finished track.

http://mightyquinny.bandcamp.com/track/stone-soup

EDIT:  I'm not so needy to keep spamming this forum with all my tunes, don't worry.  It's only because I've just got back into it and wanted to tell my e-friends.  Plus Time Being did say he liked it. Anyway, everybody please listen if you have chance and give me honest feedback if you can be arsed, even (especially) if it's little things like "that bit at 5:42 is a bit busy". Or even you just think it's shit, especially if you can say why.  After all, I AM going to be playing the festival one day.  No, really ;)

Edited by stuartbert two hats

What DAW do you use?

FL Studio. Formerly Orion, but it stopped being under active development.

I was last into production about 7 years ago. The biggest difference is the quality of the synths, mainly because of the vast increase in processing power. Virtual studios are one of those software problems that lend themselves very well to multiple processors. The good sounding synths (and reverbs) just used up too much power to use in real time, but now it can handle everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat.

What do you use? I'm guessing you do tunes too from the question.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

FL Studio. Formerly Orion, but it stopped being under active development.

I was last into production about 7 years ago. The biggest difference is the quality of the synths, mainly because of the vast increase in processing power. Virtual studios are one of those software problems that lend themselves very well to multiple processors. The good sounding synths (and reverbs) just used up too much power to use in real time, but now it can handle everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat.

Yeah I've always used FL Studio as well and it's been solid for me. Agree that the days of struggling with single-core processors are a thing of the past. I recently purchased a mac mini with an I5 and anxious to put it to work. Currently struggling with garageband though.

Just for you, here's the finished track.

http://mightyquinny.bandcamp.com/track/stone-soup

EDIT:  I'm not so needy to keep spamming this forum with all my tunes, don't worry.  It's only because I've just got back into it and wanted to tell my e-friends.  Plus Time Being did say he liked it. Anyway, everybody please listen if you have chance and give me honest feedback if you can be arsed, even (especially) if it's little things like "that bit at 5:42 is a bit busy". Or even you just think it's shit, especially if you can say why.  After all, I AM going to be playing the festival one day.  No, really ;)

I thought that was decent. Liked the keyboards a lot and some of the bass noises, If you wanted me to be critical I would say the kick drum sound is a bit dated compared to some of the current stuff. The drums remind me of the prog house style of old Sasha tracks eg Xpander . Maybe you could try knocking up a remix with some more percussive rolling drum sounds. Also it sort of fades out a bit at the end.

Having said that it's a lot better than anything I could knock up and I do like that style of music so keep posting them

I thought that was decent. Liked the keyboards a lot and some of the bass noises, If you wanted me to be critical I would say the kick drum sound is a bit dated compared to some of the current stuff. The drums remind me of the prog house style of old Sasha tracks eg Xpander . Maybe you could try knocking up a remix with some more percussive rolling drum sounds. Also it sort of fades out a bit at the end.

Having said that it's a lot better than anything I could knock up and I do like that style of music so keep posting them

Thank you very much. 

I agree that the bass drum is a bit weak and generic sounding. I was thinking something fatter rather than more percussive, I'm not sure how that would sound. Do you have any songs with that kind of drum track on for reference?

I can rarely end songs :) The idea with this one was to transition to an ambient section, which is why it ends on that chord. Provided I write it, this will be the middle of the song, not the end. I do have to write it though.

Yeah I've always used FL Studio as well and it's been solid for me. Agree that the days of struggling with single-core processors are a thing of the past. I recently purchased a mac mini with an I5 and anxious to put it to work. Currently struggling with garageband though.

How come you're trying GarageBand after using FL Studio? Are there any advantages? It just seems less powerful than FL Studio to me. Well, with less control, even if there are lots of nice things like virtual drummers.

I've only used the iPad version admittedly.

Thank you very much. 

I agree that the bass drum is a bit weak and generic sounding. I was thinking something fatter rather than more percussive, I'm not sure how that would sound. Do you have any songs with that kind of drum track on for reference?

I can rarely end songs :) The idea with this one was to transition to an ambient section, which is why it ends on that chord. Provided I write it, this will be the middle of the song, not the end. I do have to write it though.

Yeah fatter would be a good description something a bit more crunchy!

Edited by rubenz
  • Upvote 1