Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

15 hours ago, LeFreak said:

Got tickets for the first time yesterday. Looking through clashfinders of the past few years, the dance music lineups are genuinely incredible every year and a big appeal for me. Some questions for you as a first timer.

Do certain stages have a specific type of dance music? As in one stage will be techno, another house, others disco, drum n bass etc. or are most of the bigger dance stages a mish mash of everything?

How busy can you expect it to get at stages such as Levels, Arcadia, The Glade, San Remo? Those seemed to have some amazing DJ sets last year that would be right up my street but if it was overly packed I'd probably rather find somewhere else. Palms Trax b2b Job Jobse on the Wednesday at Levels must have been an amazing gig.

How prominent is drum and bass? It seems to feature very heavily in a lot of videos/vlogs I've seen. Personally have less than zero interest but it seems very popular in the UK.

The Arcadia spider is being replaced by a helicopter thing of a similar style (in the round etc)

There are definitely areas with certain types of dance music

Block9 is probably the most defined, its fully techno (more varied / disco in the downlow tho)

Unfairground is all DNB (i think?)

Shangri La / Common are a mix of dnb / techno / house

Levels is house / techno

Most of them are fairly fluid, if they can get a big act who doesn't fit they will just do it anyway really - other than Block9 to be honest which really sticks to techno

there's also heaps of smaller venues / standalone ones like Glade, Arcadia, San Remo - but also Stonebridge (always rammed), Greenpeace tree + other smaller ones like that one skream did this year - babylon uprising maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, gfa said:

The Arcadia spider is being replaced by a helicopter thing of a similar style (in the round etc)

There are definitely areas with certain types of dance music

Block9 is probably the most defined, its fully techno (more varied / disco in the downlow tho)

Unfairground is all DNB (i think?)

Shangri La / Common are a mix of dnb / techno / house

Levels is house / techno

Most of them are fairly fluid, if they can get a big act who doesn't fit they will just do it anyway really - other than Block9 to be honest which really sticks to techno

there's also heaps of smaller venues / standalone ones like Glade, Arcadia, San Remo - but also Stonebridge (always rammed), Greenpeace tree + other smaller ones like that one skream did this year - babylon uprising maybe?

Is the Arcadia helicopter definitely happening, then?

Unfairground is a mix of genres. Anything from DnB to Gabba to Old School Hardcore...

Unfortunately, the festival nixed the Skream set on Babylon Uprising for fear of overcrowding. Great little tent though. Can never walk past it without poking my head in hanging around for a while. Highly recommend it, if you enjoy dubs, left right and centre

14 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

It's fluctuated over the years. From 2011 to maybe 2017, Shangri-la was the place for late night kicks. Super creative, weird alleyways, interactive performance art and twisted micro venues have given way to larger stages and crowd bottlenecks. It's definitely due a revamp but it's still an eye opener and really enjoyable for first timers. Boomtown regulars might find it a little tame nowadays though. 

NYC Downlow is always a vibe. It's an investment in time to get in, but well worth spending at least one night amongst the disco debauchery. 

IICON first came along in 2019 and visually blew everyone away. It's definitely a venue for the "heads" but did throw a few more universally recognisable names in last year. 

Arcadia is a bit like Shangri-la in that it's become a little "seen it, done it" but again, for first timers, raving in the belly of the beast is a thrill. 

Silver Hayes has been the biggest turnaround over the past two years. It's gone from run-of-the-mill field full of sound bleed and frustrating venues to a mini festival in its own right, thanks to an injection in investment and development from the Love Saves The Day gang. 

Then there's the best "venue" in the festival in my opinion in The Temple. An outdoor arena, complete with bleachers, like some kind of techno bullring. No Glastonbury adventure is complete without witnessing the sunrise there.

Then you've got the likes of San Remo, The Glade, Unfairground, Rum Shack, Babylon Uprising, Stonebridge, Greenpeace, etc...I could go on.

Essentially, it's all amazing and you're going to have the most incredible time discovering everything on offer. I'm envious of your fresh eyes seeing it all for the first time. Prepare to have your mind blown.

FFS this was a bad read for the no ticket comedown. Agreed on The Temple - sunset or sunrise is pretty special from the bleachers!

I'm in. Electronic offering this year was unreal. Thursday of Glasto this year might have been my favourite festival day ever. My only criticism was that the SEC was just far too busy. Stuck to Arcadia and the new and improved Silver Hayes towards the end because of a pretty nasty crush on the Friday night near Shangri-La.

i'm in! first timer last year so glad i get to go again with a bit of knowledge. I still dont get why Stonebridge Bar was so popular?? Seemed to be absolutely rammed for entirety of last year's festival but wasn't offering anything that different from Silver Hayes / SEC 

26 minutes ago, cgall said:

i'm in! first timer last year so glad i get to go again with a bit of knowledge. I still dont get why Stonebridge Bar was so popular?? Seemed to be absolutely rammed for entirety of last year's festival but wasn't offering anything that different from Silver Hayes / SEC 

big line-ups, small capacity. Amazingly it was actually bigger this year....although made absolutely no difference.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Unfairground is a mix of genres. Anything from DnB to Gabba to Old School Hardcore...

Unfortunately, the festival nixed the Skream set on Babylon Uprising for fear of overcrowding. Great little tent though. Can never walk past it without poking my head in hanging around for a while. Highly recommend it, if you enjoy dubs, left right and centre

Yeah I’m not 100% sure on the helicopter either at this stage … they’ve since been paid a good wedge I would imagine for the spider at the World Cup 

4th time going next year, but got to admit, I love all of the ED tents and areas except the arcadia. Had the spider twice and the crane once. The sound system for me has always been terrible when its the spider unless you're right under it (which if you don't like to be fully in the mixer its not ideal). Unless i'm standing in the wrong area maybe? - at the back in the diagonal if you were heading to other stage. Gotta say I've never fully enjoyed a night there.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

meant to put 'might' in somewhere

cheers for that on unfairground - always dnb when i walked past

it does have the bus tho which defo isn't mind you

56 minutes ago, cgall said:

big acts small venue

very well booked - lots of the acts in it are massively blowing up when they play which helps (well doesn't help!)

Edited by gfa

5 minutes ago, AndyL16 said:

4th time going next year, but got to admit, I love all of the ED tents and areas except the arcadia. Had the spider twice and the crane once. The sound system for me has always been terrible when its the spider unless you're right under it (which if you don't like to be fully in the mixer its not ideal). Unless i'm standing in the wrong area maybe? - at the back in the diagonal if you were heading to other stage. Gotta say I've never fully enjoyed a night there.

2022 Spider was unbearable. This year I thought it was fantastic.

6 minutes ago, AndyL16 said:

its never too busy underneath - just hard to get to it. was right under it for chems and was loads of space - just lots of crowd crust

15 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Quite possibly a match made in heaven. Can't think of a better venue for RDJ to play in, apart from maybe the old Glade on that Funktion One

I’d love to see it but it looks like he’s finished his little tour and has once again disappeared off to wherever he goes. Who knows when he’ll reemerge. 

12 minutes ago, ConMan said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but Justice have announced their 'First European show next year' - Primavera Sound Barcelona

Do we reckon they're big enough to headline the Other Stage? Been off the radar for a while...

That's what I'd like to see. For me, it depends on 1) the timing of the new album, and 2) how well it's received. I think I heard somewhere that there might be the odd collaboration, which would be a departure from their usual output. Maybe they're looking for a little more mainstream success? That tends to be the requirement for electronic acts headlining the Other. 

Good luck in them topping that 2017 set on West Holts though...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That was next level good… Jon Hopkins was also excellent the following year, and Bicep the year after.

West Holts needs another decent electronic headliner 2024. 2023 wasn’t great for us.

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Very jealous! I've watched it back and it looked incredible. Can't even remember who I saw instead that evening...

Managed to catch their DJ set at Printworks in Feb, but it's not a patch on their live gigs.

Back on the AFX rumour mill are we? Anyone remember the details of last year's rumours? IIRC he was booked but backed out? Really thought he'd do it last time, especially since he was active doing shows. Find it a bit harder to see him play the farm this year, unless he's does another summer of festival shows or does his own tour. 

Arcadia & Genosys I beg, update your stages. We've been waiting since Covid. I know & understand you've had your issues, but now's the time. I know some of you like that bus, but Levels beats it now imo. If they make another post "The Bus is Back" I might lose it. 

Not sure what the landscape will look like come Summer 24, but feels like Chase & Status have had quite the uptick this year. Dunno why but they're on my mind for the West Holts E&D night.

On 11/20/2023 at 9:10 PM, Acid Loafers said:

Nº1 has to be SE Corner, Silver Hayes is good, but it's kind of far & not open as late, so if you go there, it's gonna be quite a trek at 3am if you wanna keep going. If 3am is your curtain close, then SH could be a shout. Or you don't mind another 30 min walk after your entire day. (plus your walk back)

As a middle-aged raver who camps in Lime Kiln, Silver Hayes has become an absolute joy since it’s revamp!

18 hours ago, ConMan said:

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but Justice have announced their 'First European show next year' - Primavera Sound Barcelona

Do we reckon they're big enough to headline the Other Stage? Been off the radar for a while...

I can’t see them getting to Other headline levels between now and June, no matter how mainstream the new album is… which is a massive shame, given how f**king great they are. WH again please…