Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

22 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

DETTMANN

Oh my days.

Ben

I got absolutely roasted on here (efests) this time last year when i called for some Drumcode style stuff on IICON.

”straight white male business techno is the last thing Block9 needs”

maybe they were right (even though all those guys play at Berghain etc) but i feel at least in part vindicated 😂 

Edited by Twiggy553

Haven't heard Marcel Dettmann for ages . He should be very banging techno and should be great on IICON.

Marcel Dettmann is playing a Hungarian (DADD Gathering) festival on Sat 24th so he must be Friday or Sunday on IICON. My wish is Four Tet into Dettmann Friday please. Leaves Sat/Sun for Frod, Skrillex and FT to do their b3b cheese fest.

Also just checked and Helena Hauff is playing same festival (DADD Gathering) on both Thursday and Friday of Glasto. So both those days ruled out so only other potential day is Sunday. Still hope though for another set. 

Still no where near enough Electro at Glastonbury this year. Unless I'm missing it?

Edited by rgalbraith

10 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Underground Resistance - they have to get a good slot. Truly pioneering Detroit Techno collective.

That should be quite something.

Ben

Very much so! A fabulous booking

nothing else than four tet will get a huge crowd on iicon i dont think. Pretty heads-y again. For the better!

looking for some alternate options /  recommendations along my electronic tastes.

im a Prospa / Daniel Avery / barry cant swim / overmono / caribou daphni / moderat / justice kind of guy.  not like into hardcore stuff as it stresses me out tbh 🤣 apologies for my noobiness. i know a fair few of those are playing but just looking for alternates incase they clash etc.

also wheres that EDM spreadsheet at? i cant find it for the life of me

4 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Very much so! A fabulous booking

nothing else than four tet will get a huge crowd on iicon i dont think. Pretty heads-y again. For the better!

I may be in the minority here, but Four Tet on IICON interests not. one. jot.

I realise that (a) he's very popular and (b) the world and it's uncle will be there in the sure and certain knowledge that both Fred and Skrillex will pitch up, but for me any combo of that is pretty much a massive yawny-meh fest. 😬

And, dare I say it. Four Tet playing IICON is not very 'Block9-ey'?

Saying that, if he gets a good crowd in, which he will, then that's all good for one of our favourite areas.

Ben

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rgalbraith said:

Haven't heard Marcel Dettmann for ages . He should be very banging techno and should be great on IICON.

Marcel Dettmann is playing a Hungarian (DADD Gathering) festival on Sat 24th so he must be Friday or Sunday on IICON

Also just checked and Helena Hauff is playing same festival (DADD Gathering) on both Thursday and Friday of Glasto. So both those days ruled out so only other potential day is Sunday. Still hope though for another set. 

Still no where near enough Electro at Glastonbury this year. Unless I'm missing it?

Sedef Adasï plays lots of electro. She's on the Bus and in Wow this year.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I may be in the minority here, but Four Tet on IICON interests not. one. jot.

I realise that (a) he's very popular and (b) the world and it's uncle will be there in the sure and certain knowledge that both Fred and Skrillex will pitch up, but for me any combo of that is pretty much a massive yawny-meh fest. 😬

And, dare I say it. Four Tet playing IICON is not very 'Block9-ey'?

Saying that, if he gets a good crowd in, which he will, then that's all good for one of our favourite areas.

Ben

Surely he'll be on at headliner-o'clock? Otherwise it'll be rammo-ed and totally not what they do.

On 5/24/2023 at 5:49 PM, stanh said:

Alongside previously announced Ben Hemsley and Sonny Fodera, the first 'full' nights of this year's AW season at The Warehouse Project have been announced.

Repercussion Festival:

250252601_Screenshot2023-05-24at16_50_50.thumb.png.aaf44b592d6abe6194a73bb9737797c4.png

I am getting tickets for this anyone with any experience of the VIP what you get for it and whether it is worth it?

2 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Underground Resistance - they have to get a good slot. Truly pioneering Detroit Techno collective.

That should be quite something.

Ben

Sadly only Mark Flash live, which is not quite so exciting 

2 hours ago, TiZuff said:

looking for some alternate options /  recommendations along my electronic tastes.

im a Prospa / Daniel Avery / barry cant swim / overmono / caribou daphni / moderat / justice kind of guy.  not like into hardcore stuff as it stresses me out tbh 🤣 apologies for my noobiness. i know a fair few of those are playing but just looking for alternates incase they clash etc.

also wheres that EDM spreadsheet at? i cant find it for the life of me

Not miles away from my taste and apologies if these are already on your radar but a couple I will be at that you didnt menton, Silver Hayes: Jayda G (Disco House always a party), LALA (slightly heavier house, check her recent youtube mixmag set), (and actually the whole line up on Friday at The Levels will be good for less heavy stuff), then Ben Bohmer plays saturday. (Deep melodic house). On Glade: Denis Sulta, Evan Mcvicar (maybe a bit heavy), then Fourtet on IICON will be great, his set at Park last year was a real highlight, although he may go a bit heavier on IICON. 

Hope some of those are useful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, worthyraver said:

I am getting tickets for this anyone with any experience of the VIP what you get for it and whether it is worth it?

Bar, toilets, a raised viewing platform (only for the Depot) and then queue jump too. Wouldn't really say it is worth it at all from my experience, I'd consider it for events that are likely to be oversold though (NYE, Halloween, Kaluki, Solid Grooves etc) as imo it is worth it for the queue jump alone, as during those events you can be waiting anywhere up to 2 hours to get in. For other events though, don't really think you would get your moneys worth from it, unless you want a slightly shorter wait for the bar/toilets. The viewing platform is to the very left of the Depot, view is better from the GA area - always a chance it could move this year, but the past few seasons it has been there. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

And...

Deena Abdelhawed is very Block9, and could be an amazing set on IICON. Her leftfield, wobbly, percussive stuff might suit that field to a T. Hopefully she'll get a good slot and crowd, tho I fear she might be stuck somewhere in the daytime.

Her kind of stuff is definitely in-the-dark material.

Ben

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

What are you thinking @bennyhana22? Happy with that Block 9 announcement (bus aside)?

Yeah, it's a very Block9 announcement and I love that they retain their philosophy. 

On my list of jigsaw pieces so far I have:

Dettmann
UR
Batu (didn't enjoy in the Temple, but he should be much more 'me' on IICON)
Deena Abdelwahed
Partok
Sedef Adasï
Yonti
ISAbella

...and no doubt I'll find a few more to stick in the mix! Would kind of like to head into the Downlow again this year, as I haven't been in since...2017? 

I'll leave better the informed to comment on the NYCD line up, but I know that it's not really about that, as such. 

Without meaning to sound like a dreadfully entitled AH, I can't help but be a bit sad at what had happened to Genosys. Last year, post pandemic, you can understand how some things had to be different. But to find ourselves in the same place again does sting. I'm guessing that they weren't anticipating the loss of the green structure, and then found themselves needing a swift replacement solution. Easy to see how putting the bus back 'makes sense'. I just hope they've beefed up and improved the sound quality and volume. But compare, say, the line up this year with the likes of HAAi (did I ever mention her Genosys set...?), Josh Wink, Randomer etc. and it's a different venue in so many ways. Not that change is a bad thing, and I think a lot on the bus will be very agreeable to many of the more casual racers. And that's a good thing. 

And, I have lots elsewhere too, with SH coming out swinging, some good stuff on Glade and Shangri-La and a nibble in Arcadia and Unfairground. I cannot see myself struggling to fill my dance card at all, Thurs-Mon. 

Just need those frickin' set times now. Do these people not realise just how long it takes to collate my schedule??

Ben
x

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3