geeky techie chat about the ticket sale

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked one of my works remote desktop connections to the web, it's lightening quick....

It pings at 1ms compared to my home of around 30-60, will that provide any advantages? 

Nope. Sorry!

Would be advantageous if you were playing games though!

The good old days of 1998 and playing counter strike with a ping of 300. No wonder half the rooms hated me.

The following is definitely geeky, but not techie.

I was wondering what the odds/possibility of getting a ticket on Sunday really are.

There is an article knocking about from 2013 I think, where see tickets discussed the 2014 sale and how the problems they encountered were because a million people were trying to access the site at once. Obviously that could have gone up since then but I'm assuming if they say a million people tried to book tickets that's actually a million attempts so if the average person has, say, 3 devices that's only 333k people? Not a million people also trying on 2/3/4 different devices? If it's a million individual people then you've got a 1 in 7.5 chance of getting one, but then because you can buy 6 tickets, if everybody buys 6 tickets that's only 22500 chances to get through so that's a 1 in 44 chance.

Somebody please correct me as I hope those really aren't the odds.

The following is definitely geeky, but not techie.

I was wondering what the odds/possibility of getting a ticket on Sunday really are.

There is an article knocking about from 2013 I think, where see tickets discussed the 2014 sale and how the problems they encountered were because a million people were trying to access the site at once. Obviously that could have gone up since then but I'm assuming if they say a million people tried to book tickets that's actually a million attempts so if the average person has, say, 3 devices that's only 333k people? Not a million people also trying on 2/3/4 different devices? If it's a million individual people then you've got a 1 in 7.5 chance of getting one, but then because you can buy 6 tickets, if everybody buys 6 tickets that's only 22500 chances to get through so that's a 1 in 44 chance.

I don't for a moment believe the "a million people want tickets" thing. It's a nice line to spin people.

Maybe a million hits, but that of course would be nowhere near a million actual people?

Hits, pages, sessions (number of different browsers being used by all buyers, basically), and unique IP addresses are the normal things that are counted by web stat software.

The hits and pages are likely to be well over a million. I'd be surprised if there's a million sessions onto See, which means that there defo wouldn't be a million unique IPs.

I don't think the 'million' is related to anything that actually happens, it just sounds good.

If it's a million individual people then you've got a 1 in 7.5 chance of getting one, but then because you can buy 6 tickets, if everybody buys 6 tickets that's only 22500 chances to get through so that's a 1 in 44 chance.

You could be right on the first bit (but as Neil said, I don't buy the "million people" thing anyway. But definitely not 1 in 44 as:

1) not everyone is buying six tickets and;

2) in most groups a few people are trying, and when one person gets tickets, the others can stop.

Just checked one of my works remote desktop connections to the web, it's lightening quick....

It pings at 1ms compared to my home of around 30-60, will that provide any advantages? 

It might be if it were a straight race to the finish, but it isn't. It's a race where you have to arrive at a certain time and you don't know what that time is. If your request were to arrive within 1ms and a slot opened 30ms later you might wish you'd used the slower connection.

Has anyone used the check 4 change extension on firefox for this? Does it make sense or are there reasons that it would be a very bad idea?

My plan is to hammer F5 on a tab I can see, and let that hammer away on another tab (I'm guessing it should stop if it actually gets in?)

Has anyone used the check 4 change extension on firefox for this? Does it make sense or are there reasons that it would be a very bad idea?

My plan is to hammer F5 on a tab I can see, and let that hammer away on another tab (I'm guessing it should stop if it actually gets in?)

I use it for all ticket buying I do, its failed me only once and that was this sale last year.

I used that in the coach sale and it kept going off with changes, but during the holding page - perhaps there was an ad or perhaps the auto refresh counter. I gave up on it, refreshed manually, and got through to the booking forms.

You definitely don't want this to happen - by all accounts you go back into the queue

Happened to me in 2013 a few times.

I got onto ticket registration page but I was hitting F5 so much/ so quickly that I'd hit refresh before I'd realised. 

You just rejoin the masses in the queuing stage. Very maddening when you realise what you've just done. 

Ive got check4change and I did get on booking page on Thursday. If you highlight certain words or text on the holding page that realistaclly wont be on the booking page then it should not refresh anymore (shouldnt it???)

Good point - I highlighted the whole page so no wonder it kept going off. Just highlight a sentence or two of the holding page and get it going every second.. ?

Good point - I highlighted the whole page so no wonder it kept going off. Just highlight a sentence or two of the holding page and get it going every second.. ?

I had a number of pages refreshing every second on check4change, on a second pc, so I could concentrate on my main one.Highlighted the text up to the count down number (page will refresh in 9, 8, 7 etc.).

However when it was all over the pages found the sold out page and didn't alert me, so won't be using it again. not sure why it didn't work, but it didn't!

that was brutal. didn't get past the holding page, and even then was on the holding page for about 10% of the time the tickets were on sale. the rest were timeouts. this is on various public IPs, 2 VPNs out of country, 2 mobiles, automatic page refreshes. even if you do everything possible to intelligently maximise your chances, you still may not get a a sniff. at the end of the day, it's luck!

i hope everyone was successful! very happy i got a coach ticket on thursday, just depressed for my friends who missed out.