Rock Werchter 2015

foolee

"I would hope that in a year from now, we have a record out and we're on a world tour,"

Flea in an interview for Rolling Stone..

RCHP, Foo Fighters, Muse, Editors?

Would be happy with that set of headliners because I really can't think of many viable good sets of headliners to be honest. That being said I wouldn't want RHCP as they're probably the worst band I've ever seen live with a back catolgue of their calibre.

Editors won't play, that is over kill even for werchter.

Just remember, Kings of Leon 6 times in 8 years, anything can happen especially with a 4 day music festival with an already saturated market with not many viable headliners.

Blink 182 for sub/one spot below sub? They said that a new album is expected to be out by next Summer, and I doubt they'd do the August festivals 2 years in a row so that rules out Pukkelpop.

I'd be happy for them to play as they wouldn't take up a massive slot and have some cracking tracks. Only thing makes me think they won't is Angels and Airwaves have a new album out 31st Oct so likely they'll go tour I'd say as Tom seems more commited to them that Blink, but more money is there for Blink so who knows.

Just thinking of heavier acts playing, what is the likelyhood of Slash and Rise Against or are they more likely for Graspop?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, Kings of Leon 6 times in 8 years, anything can happen especially with a 4 day music festival with an already saturated market with not many viable headliners.

I think the overkill would be worse for Editors though, if we include the whole context. Let's watch at all Belgian performances ever since the band became (sub)headliner worthy:

KoL: 4x Rock Werchter headliner + 1x arena gig in 5 years

Editors: 3x Rock Werchter (1 sub and 2 headliner) + 1x Pukkelpop headliner + 2x arena gig + several intimate gigs + free short set on Antwerp main square for charity stuff, all in 4 years

So Belgium has had a bigger Editors overkill in the end (which isn't illogical, since we're the only country in the world giving them that much attention). It also fits with what Sparticus said just now: their Pukkelpop day only sold out merely days before the fest, despite Deadmau5, Disclosure and Outkast playing the same day.

I believe Editors are still huge around here, but except for a coheadliner construction with an internationally very popular band, I can't see them selling a lot of 85 euro tickets.

I think the overkill would be worse for Editors though, if we include the whole context. Let's watch at all Belgian performances ever since the band became (sub)headliner worthy:

KoL: 4x Rock Werchter headliner + 1x arena gig in 5 years

Editors: 3x Rock Werchter (1 sub and 2 headliner) + 1x Pukkelpop headliner + 2x arena gig + several intimate gigs + free short set on Antwerp main square for charity stuff, all in 4 years

So Belgium has had a bigger Editors overkill in the end (which isn't illogical, since we're the only country in the world giving them that much attention). It also fits with what Sparticus said just now: their Pukkelpop day only sold out merely days before the fest, despite Deadmau5, Disclosure and Outkast playing the same day.

I believe Editors are still huge around here, but except for a coheadliner construction with an internationally very popular band, I can't see them selling a lot of 85 euro tickets.

Sadly I think that although you are right, the festival scene in Europe is changing. Last year weak KoL/Franz Ferdinand/Bastille (with Stromae) sold out easily months before the fest and same goes with the Friday. Editors will have a new album so they will show up rightfully, but RW dont have to bring big international band to sell those 20k tickets anymore, because average undercard will be enough.

I get peoples point on the Editors matter and could see them not getting them but lets say Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac, Radiohead, Muse, Mumford and Sons, U2, RHCP and ACDC don't do festivals. Is there really a massive choice of bands that could viably headline after that lot? Because there isn't really anything concrete to say any of these bands will headline festivals and if they play festivals whether werchter will be an option.

All I can think of at the moment is Foo Fighters so I think they're a given now knowing when abouts they're touring. I can't think of 3 more big shots that will be around to headline so if they're struggling with headliners they would go for Editors and someone like The Libertines subbing as I think they'll be around. That being said I love Editors and I'd love to see how they do as a headliner as I'll never see that anywhere else and think they're very deserving so I for one wouldn't mind them. Just for people who have seen them recently at werchter and in belgium I hope this isn't the case.

I dont have a problem with Editors, in fact I think their show at RW13 was the best I saw in that edition. I just think that last year should have teach us not to get our hopes high in term of the amount of headliners/big bands.

I'm a big editors fan, that was by far the worst I've ever seen them.

2012 headline spot was on another planet than 2013.

If The Libertines play RW, Barn headliner is their best shot. Apparently the ticket sales for their Forest National gig were disastrous (heard stories about only 4000 out of 9000 tickets sold). Headlining Dour or Lokerse Feesten (which always has a Britpop day) sounds like a better shot for them.

I'm a big editors fan, that was by far the worst I've ever seen them.

2012 headline spot was on another planet than 2013.

I have only heard their 2012 set on youtube,it did sound fantastic. Even though I was way at the back in 2013, the atmosphere around us was incredible and I thought they were amazing. I do remember it started kind of slow though. Probably a combination of new stuff and festival audience.

@Will - I saw somewhere that Editors are in studio a few days ago, but maybe its wrong and its only a solo album of Tom Smith.

The Deus singer is touring with his sideproject, Magnus, at the moment. Giving those a 99% chance at RW though, something like a KluB C headliner.

I wouldn't start worrying about headliners yet. Half of the headliners usually come as a surprise to the people guessing line ups. And just look at who's in studio right now: Muse, RHCP, QOTSA, ... With Mumford & Sons, Lenny Kravitz, The Who, ... there's plenty of material for coheadliner constructions. And then there's Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen rumoured to do European festivals. If necessary we might just get our first hiphop/rap headliner with Kanye West.

Finding it odd though that Foo's haven't confirmed any new dates yet. It's been a month since the RaR announcement...

The Deus singer is touring with his sideproject, Magnus, at the moment. Giving those a 99% chance at RW though, something like a KluB C headliner.

I wouldn't start worrying about headliners yet. Half of the headliners usually come as a surprise to the people guessing line ups. And just look at who's in studio right now: Muse, RHCP, QOTSA, ... With Mumford & Sons, Lenny Kravitz, The Who, ... there's plenty of material for coheadliner constructions. And then there's Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen rumoured to do European festivals. If necessary we might just get our first hiphop/rap headliner with Kanye West.

Finding it odd though that Foo's haven't confirmed any new dates yet. It's been a month since the RaR announcement...

I agree. There are plenty of big names with new albums or albums in the making so its still early to declare that there is a shortage of headliners yet, as it depands on when and if they tour europe.

About the Foo's, I think that RaR announced headliners early because they changed location AND because they wanted to make sure that everybody knows its an anniversary unlike RW last year.

I´m still hoping for a miracle: David Bowie showing up. He was supposed to play RW in 2004 but it was cancelled due to his illness. Perhaps he can persuaded again. Having said that: I was hoping for the same to happen last year and instead Werchter announced Kings of Leon.

Edited by ParanoidTourist

Soooooo...

I'm flying from Doha into Gatwick overnight on 25-26th. I land at Gatwick at 0720 on the 26th, so I'm thinking of getting the Eurostar to Brussels and going to Werchter.

I can't be arsed with trying for Glasto tickets, and I've always wanted to go to Werchter.

So, how the hell do I get there from Brussels on Day 2 of the festival? Will there be space camping, and do they have VIP camping?

if Weezer plays that.. where would thay perform? headlining Barn? under the subheadliner? maybe sub? If Franz Ferdinand subbed last year, why Weezer can't?

Dont know about the size of Weezer in Belgium but last year taught us that its all depends on the ticket sales rate. After all, even Nutini subbed.