Muse

eldest300

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends how much you like them though doesnt it. I've always been a big fan, so it's going to have to be something absolutely dire for me to dislike it.

I disagree. Just because you're a big fan, it doesn't mean that you can't think critically about their work. For example smashing pumpkins are my favourite band, but they've been shite for over a decade.

I disagree. Just because you're a big fan, it doesn't mean that you can't think critically about their work. For example smashing pumpkins are my favourite band, but they've been shite for over a decade.

Yeah, Muse are my favourite band along with Radiohead (who'd have thought it!) and I think they've been churning out turd after turd since BH&R.

Even so, it's still subjective. One's idea of a great album is another persons hell.

Yeah, Muse are my favourite band along with Radiohead (who'd have thought it!) and I think they've been churning out turd after turd since BH&R.

That's because bar a couple they have, and those aren't close the those 3 noticeable one's.

Linkin Park are/kinda were as I'm a bit bored of them, seen them on virtually every tour since 2003 but nothing since MTM is worth any listen at length.

Yes that's my point. They're my favourite band but I'm still able to look at them from an unbiased point of view and realise when they release shite.

Shite is subjective old chum. Just because you're a big fan doesn't make you right either.

Edited by Icewulf

Yes that's my point. They're my favourite band but I'm still able to look at them from an unbiased point of view and realise when they release shite.

i was agreeing with you. Radiohead on the other hand, no time for at all. They are the one headline act I don't want to see there next year but I think it's inevitable. I'd be surprised given a new album will most likely be ready if Glasto isn't a stop off for them. My dislike doesn't change the fact I'm aware they can do Glasto while still sell what they want.

Shite is subjective old chum. Just because you're a big fan doesn't make you right either.

That's not what my point was.

Big Vern said that because he's a big fan, it'd have to be something really shite for him to dislike it. I was just backing up the person who replied saying that just because you're a big fan it's possible to see that an average song is average (not talking about any songs in particular, my point is basically that I don't agree it'd have to be something abysmal for you not to like it - I probably put it across badly).

Yeah but the meaning of it is important to them - doubt the record company would let them get away with such blatant anti establishment meanings if they werent a little accessible to the masses

The meaning or sentiment of the songs isn't really the issue though - it's the really cheesy lyrics used to convey it. It would be very possible imo to convey the same message, it be accessible and not sound like it was written by a 12 year old. I don't want to sound like a hater... it's just a dissapointment when a band you like's output decreases in quality.

As someone said - Stockholm Syndrome - I would love them to bring out something that good again, so good musically i never really paid attention to the lyrics.

aye but Muse have released some unarguable shite in recent years

Nope. I mean I personally would agree that T2L was rubbish compared to BH&R, but if you look at Metacritic youd not think there'd been any significant drop off in quality recently. In fact The Resistance is given the exact same average score as Absolution.. Edited by Zac Quinn

Nope. I mean I personally would agree that T2L was rubbish compared to BH&R, but if you look at Metacritic youd not think there'd been any significant drop off in quality recently. In fact The Resistance is given the exact same average score as Absolution..

Yeah but that's the problem with Metacritic as it naturally gives well respected reviewers like DiS the same footing as something like Heat.

i love Pitchfork (for the most part) but always think it must kill them handing out scores less than 8.0 to acts like Kanye and Radiohead. their King Of Limbs review must've had some tears shed over it

Pitchfork are pathetic, they delete and change ratings based on the publics view on that artist.

They removed their B&S Boy with the Arab Strap 0.8 review because they didn't want to appear 'uncool'

The meaning or sentiment of the songs isn't really the issue though - it's the really cheesy lyrics used to convey it. It would be very possible imo to convey the same message, it be accessible and not sound like it was written by a 12 year old. I don't want to sound like a hater... it's just a dissapointment when a band you like's output decreases in quality.

As someone said - Stockholm Syndrome - I would love them to bring out something that good again, so good musically i never really paid attention to the lyrics.

Personally I can't really foment on how 'good musically' songs are. In general the way it usually works is songs I like are generally not seen as good musically by people who judge them in that sort of way. In all fairness I like oasis and courteeners so anything muse come out with is going to be a step up!

I only properly dislike 3 muse songs: supermassive black hole, panic station and undisclosed desires. Yes I even like the devil song guiding light.