Hip Hop & The Glastonbury Festival

kalifire

@Col!n I don't think a separate stage is necessary. I don't think there should ever be a main stage siloed by one genre - well except the general theme of the Park and West Holts Stages being 'no Wellends' and all that.

About there being days on Silver Hayes, that's been running a couple of years. And there's just going to be more and more.

This Saturday:

sh19_wow_nt.jpg

This Sunday:

sh19_sonic_nt.jpg

Also this Sunday:

sh19_gully_nt.jpg

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Reckon it’ll be The Weeknd up next year, Dave 2024 and Drake when he settles into legacy mode a little further down the line.

One thing’s a given: there’ll surely be a hip-hop or rap-adjacent headliner, sub and/or Other headliner every year now for the foreseeable. And that’s a great thing.

Yes I’ve said it to death but it’s true now. Glasto is competing with Coachella and rolling loud. They can get these acts now.

Drake would be a divisive style booking for the festival but they have to get him now. They’ve had all of the big hip hop names bar him.

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. 

(Personally I think he will be crap if he plays but he has to do it. It’s a box tick now just like Ed Sheeran was).

Edited by Matt42

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yes I’ve said it to death but it’s true now. Glasto is competing with Coachella and rolling loud. They can get these acts now.

Drake would be a divisive style booking for the festival but they have to get him now. They’ve had all of the big hip hop names bar him.

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. 

(Personally I think he will be crap if he plays but he has to do it. It’s a box tick now just like Ed Sheeran was).

Has Drake headlined any of the other big European festivals?

36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@Col!n I don't think a separate stage is necessary. I don't think there should ever be a main stage siloed by one genre - well except the general theme of the Park and West Holts Stages being 'no Wellends' and all that.

About there being days on Silver Hayes, that's been running a couple of years. And there's just going to be more and more.

This Saturday:

sh19_wow_nt.jpg

This Sunday:

sh19_sonic_nt.jpg

Also this Sunday:

sh19_gully_nt.jpg

Is there a place where all those 2019 stage posters are stored? (Yes I’m being lazy)

53 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Has Drake headlined any of the other big European festivals?

Yeah think so but when has that stopped them booking others like Jay and Ye?

We’re in a different generation man. Saying he’s unlikely because he’s never done a European festival is a bit of an archaic point. 

(even tho has has done multiple)

Edited by Matt42

48 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Would Drake be that divisive?

Rappers at the top of the bill are becoming more and more commonplace.

Divisive in that he’s not the most critically adored but one of the most popular.

He’s the Ed Sheeran of rap and hip hop. Pulls the big numbers but his albums are very hit and miss. 

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

So the opposite of Kendrick?

Sort of, both are popular but Drake goes for big radio AirPlay big streaming sort of popularity.

A lot of his hits are just pure lazy. The sort of songs that sound like they’ve made with getting a #1 single in mind.

I’d probably check him out because I’m unlikely to see him elsewhere and I don’t think it would impress some Glasto loyalists but it should happen imo. In the same way as Sheeran they just need to get it over and done with.

Drake’s been hanging around a lot with Adele lately actually, she said she sent most of her new record to him first for approval. Perhaps she’s put a good word in at some point. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Sort of, both are popular but Drake goes for big radio AirPlay big streaming sort of popularity.

A lot of his hits are just pure lazy. The sort of songs that sound like they’ve made with getting a #1 single in mind.

I’d probably check him out because I’m unlikely to see him elsewhere and I don’t think it would impress some Glasto loyalists but it should happen imo. In the same way as Sheeran they just need to get it over and done with.

Drake’s been hanging around a lot with Adele lately actually, she said she sent most of her new record to him first for approval. Perhaps she’s put a good word in at some point. 

I still don’t think he’d be particularly divisive though. I’m no fan of his but if he was announced I would just shrug, concede he’s big enough to do it and make plans to be somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Drake also uses ghost writers which Kendrick Lamar called out on king kunta 

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I still don’t think he’d be particularly divisive though. I’m no fan of his but if he was announced I would just shrug, concede he’s big enough to do it and make plans to be somewhere else.

I think it would evoke a bit of a reaction from the hip hop purists, and from those who think he’s rubbish. It won’t have an impact on anything, just like it never does. All I’m saying is that it’s another one of those that will generate divisive press but be fine on the day.

If his set is half arsed though I can see that looming over efestivals / festival goers minds for while. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think it would evoke a bit of a reaction from the hip hop purists, and from those who think he’s rubbish. It won’t have an impact on anything, just like it never does. All I’m saying is that it’s another one of those that will generate divisive press but be fine on the day.

If his set is half arsed though I can see that looming over efestivals / festival goers minds for while. 

I always feel you construe a few grumbles as some sort of widespread disapproval. I think the festival is now beyond headliners who are massively divisive.

There will never been a single possible trio of acts that will not elicite some level of complaint from somewhere, it’s just not possible. But you never see the level of complaints and controversy that the likes of Kanye prompted anymore. Kendrick’s announcement prompted barely an eyebrow raised as far as I’ve seen. I think there’s an wider acceptance now that the pool is wider than just white lads with guitars.

As I’ve said, there I’ll be moans and you’ll always get the Neil Lonsdale “where’s the rock?” complaints, but they get quieter every year to the point they’re barely noticeable.

Drake being announced would barely cause a stir outside this forum.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

What year did they host Eminem or Dre? André 3000? Lil Wayne? J Cole? Joyner? Royce? Black Thought (recently)?

Glastonbury has barely touched the surface of hip hop superstars, which in many ways is understandable. The Glasto crowd is a sea of white, with musical preferences that haven’t traditionally embraced hip hop. That’s definitely changing. Jay was a genuine breakthrough moment, which said more about the festival than anything else - hip hop had been massive in the mainstream for well over a decade by that point. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

What year did they host Eminem or Dre? André 3000? Lil Wayne? J Cole? Joyner? Royce? Black Thought (recently)?

Glastonbury has barely touched the surface of hip hop superstars, which in many ways is understandable. The Glasto crowd is a sea of white, with musical preferences that haven’t traditionally embraced hip hop. That’s definitely changing. Jay was a genuine breakthrough moment, which said more about the festival than anything else - hip hop had been massive in the mainstream for well over a decade by that point. 

Maybe the pyramid deck chair crowd but in the past few years I’ve been going there’s been more diversity than ever across silver hayes, south east corner, west holts.

Edited by Matt42

23 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a 'main' stage, the main stages are a melting pot of genres which already feature bigger hip hop artists - and you're right that it should stay this way. It's the fringe areas which give smaller acts a platform and make the festival come to life though, so what I was suggesting was a hip hop-leaning stage or area, similar to how NYC Downlow, IICON and Genosys in Block9 celebrate dance / queer culture for example, or how William Green hosts up-and-coming indie acts in an intimate setting, but with a focus on alternative hip hop artists. I suppose it could work within the SE corner or an additional part of Silver Hayes, but with its own identity rather than piggybacking onto one of the existing stage brands. I think this would go down really well and do a lot of good for the festival, allowing them to book acts which might not fit on the bigger stages (yet) as well as surprise appearances from artists playing the main stages. 

27 minutes ago, Col!n said:

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a 'main' stage, the main stages are a melting pot of genres which already feature bigger hip hop artists - and you're right that it should stay this way. It's the fringe areas which give smaller acts a platform and make the festival come to life though, so what I was suggesting was a hip hop-leaning stage or area, similar to how NYC Downlow, IICON and Genosys in Block9 celebrate dance / queer culture for example, or how William Green hosts up-and-coming indie acts in an intimate setting, but with a focus on alternative hip hop artists. I suppose it could work within the SE corner or an additional part of Silver Hayes, but with its own identity rather than piggybacking onto one of the existing stage brands. I think this would go down really well and do a lot of good for the festival, allowing them to book acts which might not fit on the bigger stages (yet) as well as surprise appearances from artists playing the main stages. 

Fair. I think that will happen. Possibly by accident on an existing Silver Hayes stage or possibly as a relaunch of one of the stages under a new banner.

I don't know what you mean by 'alternative hip hop artists' though in this context. They're probably gonna do it for ones gaining some mainstream traction (like the current setup with those days on Silver Hayes) rather than filling up a bill with the likes of Bruiser Wolf, Your Old Droog, etc.

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don't know what you mean by 'alternative hip hop artists' though in this context. They're probably gonna do it for ones gaining some mainstream traction (like the current setup with those days on Silver Hayes) rather than filling up a bill with the likes of Bruiser Wolf, Your Old Droog, etc.

Bad wording from me, I just meant hip hop artists which might not fit on the main stages. 

Those Silver Hayes days are decent enough and some good UK names, but I was talking mainly about the kind of names you've mentioned like Your Old Droog and other US artists - Conway The Machine, Curren$y, JID, Benny The Butcher, Mach Hommy, Boldy James, Armand Hammer, etc. The line up is usually lacking in these type of names, which is why it'd benefit from a platform for them at the festival outside of the main stages. 

Would love to see a US name appear on West Holts' poster when it comes out anyway, lots of acts about who would fit on there like Pusha T, Freddie Gibbs, Noname, JPEGMAFIA, Denzel Curry, Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Saba.

Edited by Col!n