Acid_Haze

1995 was my first Glastonbury. We had bought tickets specifically because the Roses had announced their return (at last) and were to headline. To say i was gutted when Squire broke his collarbone, and what followed was weeks of "will they, won't they?" and finally the cancellation confirmed; would be an understatement.

However it turned out to be the best weekend ever still and i have only missed one since. Not all about headliners!

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

That night was a case of majority rule in the group and most people being too poleaxed to move.

I didn't stay for all of it.

Like the year before I wandered off on my own, this time to see Spiritualized I think.

In 2003 I was the only one out of 12 of us who went to see Radiohead headlining instead of Razorlight (think it was them) on some smaller stage.

You can see the issue here...

Christ....

Hope of a last great hurrah I spose.

Left after 5 songs and went to the Chems. As did thousands of others.

Fair dos. But looking at the line up I wonder why I wasnt at the levellers on the avalon stage. Lamb into levellers would have been great. I also didnt know Love were playing again that year at the time.

It wouldnt happy these days, considering how we obsess on here all year!

That night was a case of majority rule in the group and most people being too poleaxed to move.

I didn't stay for all of it.

Like the year before I wandered off on my own, this time to see Spiritualized I think.

In 2003 I was the only one out of 12 of us who went to see Radiohead headlining instead of Razorlight (think it was them) on some smaller stage.

You can see the issue here...

that is a truly shocking tale of woe!

Ive just lookd at the line up for 2004 and there were good acts on almost every other stage that night. Why were you all watching oasis???

I was watching the Chemical Brothers, which is a decision I very much stick by. Only three of us did - about 10 saw Oasis; all of them said they were sh1t. The Chems smashed it.

It's not even like i was defending oasis, i wasnt there in 2004, ive heard it wasnt great. But was also Zak Starkeys first gig and the videos ive watched, the drumming is out of time and liam doesnt sound great.

But ive seen oasis, and they were brilliant. Another chance for them to make up for 2004 and they will pull it off i believe. For the record i think the reports of them reforming are bullshit. and they wont play this year.

Edited by Bonehead> Clapton

It's not even like i was defending oasis, i wasnt there in 2004, ive heard it wasnt great. But was also Zak Starkeys first gig and the videos ive watched, the drumming is out of time and liam doesnt sound great.

But ive seen oasis, and they were brilliant. Another chance for them to make up for 2004 and they will pull it i believe. For the record i think the reports of them reforming are bullshit. and they wont play this year.

I don't really understand what it is that you're trying to convey either to be honest.

Come on kids lets all calm down, lets get back to speculating on tenuous details... for example:

'Well, we're not. we're just not headlining Glastonbury'.... Secret set?!

(I don't believe it, but I prefer this thread when people aren't bickering over Manchester bands)

Edited by FrancisH

I am and not because I'm wrong. I have other things to be doing right now as I'm sure you've probably got some work to be getting on with.

you certainly are wrong if you think i came on here and claimed to have insider info lol. Why would i have any info? I get all my info off here...

That suggest to me you do think im roses for baggie.

but ill leave it to, as i do have work to get on with. i apologise if my yawn caused offence, but you know what its like when several people are slagging off a band you like.

But ive seen oasis, and they were brilliant. Another chance for them to make up for 2004 and they will pull it i believe. For the record i think the reports of them reforming are bullshit. and they wont play this year.

I saw them at the last show they played and it was bloody awful. Obviously just there to get a pay cheque. Don't think a reunion would improve things on that front.

I was there and thought they were crap compered to other times ive seen them.

I dont think it was Zak's first gig as my girlfriend went to see the warm up gig for glastonbury at poole lighthouse and said they were fantastic. Just an 'off day' I think.

Blur quote was a little less emphatic, far easier to say "things have changed" than Fleetwood's. Xfm made a little graphic for it: CAxO3b4WEAADyzG.png

seems like a pretty firm 'no' to me - i'm sure they would've had some word on being a possible second-runner for the slot from the festival itself if they were chasing Prince / another pain in the arse, and he wouldn't have written it off so bluntly. i thought they were definitely gonna be the last headliner, but after seeing this quote (first time i've seen the actual quote itself) it seems unlikely

I was there and thought they were crap compered to other times ive seen them.

I dont think it was Zak's first gig as my girlfriend went to see the warm up gig for glastonbury at poole lighthouse and said they were fantastic. Just an 'off day' I think.

you maybe right, may have been his second gig. Was definitely one of the first.

My wife was at her only Glastonbury in 2004, and a big Oasis fan. She was very much in the moment and so, not surprisingly, thought they were great.

I was at home with three small kids in bed and watched it on the telly, having seen and enjoyed Oasis quite a few times, including Knebworth.

From the vantage point of my sofa and with the benefit of accurate sound reproduction from the desk, they were indescribably shit! I lamented there and then the passing of what had been at their peak, a pretty magnificent set of rock pipes. Liam was godawful.

I tried not to burst my beloved's bubble by labouring this point on her return from Worthy Farm!

Oh, and does anyone on here really, truly, genuinely think that there is anything higher than a solid 0% chance of Oasis playing Glastonbury 2015?

I'm no stranger to devoted hopefulness, but that's just plain silly!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

I'm doing that this year Russ. Would you massively advise against it? Is it not a good idea...

queuing through the night? I dunno, I've never done it. Getting a central camping spot just isnt that important to me anymore.

I did absolutely love camping in row mead though. If I was younger I'd probably do it...waking up in the heart of the festival is ace.

Fair dos. But looking at the line up I wonder why I wasnt at the levellers on the avalon stage. Lamb into levellers would have been great. I also didnt know Love were playing again that year at the time.

Was my first Glasto and the Friday was a good day. Wilco, Walkmen, Badly Drawn Boy, Arthur Lee, Oasis, Chems. With a few bits of others thrown in there. I think.

So the possibility of a big Oasis sing-a -long to finish the day seemed like a good idea. But it was the least fluid headliner Ive ever seen I think. Apart from Gorillaz.

My wife was at her only Glastonbury in 2004, and a big Oasis fan. She was very much in the moment and so, not surprisingly, thought they were great.

I was at home with three small kids in bed and watched it on the telly, having seen and enjoyed Oasis quite a few times, including Knebworth.

From the vantage point of my sofa and with the benefit of accurate sound reproduction from the desk, they were indescribably shit! I lamented there and then the passing of what had been at their peak, a pretty magnificent set of rock pipes. Liam was godawful.

I tried not to burst my beloved's bubble by labouring this point on her return from Worthy Farm!

Oh, and does anyone on here really, truly, genuinely think that there is anyhitng higher than a solid 0% chance of Oasis playing Glastonbury 2015?

I'm no stranger to devoted hopefulness, but that's just plain silly!

Ben

See! a civilised and fair point. They wont play this year. More chance of The Roses

I'm doing that this year Russ. Would you massively advise against it? Is it not a good idea...

I've arrived at various times, from 2am to 6.30am to do the early doors thing. If you arrive REAL early it is a long cold night of slowly shuffling forwards as a queue compresses while you make a start on your booze and party essentials, people can be chatty, you can have a laugh, you can accidentally encounter people from this forum. Matter of taste.

I'll be queuing again this year.

Liam would sound worse now.

Having seen Noel last month I say he'd be stupid to reform. Money talks though.

I suspect after a few recorded gigs, the only people interested in listening to Liam butcher the songs would be people who can't admit they are past it and people mainly kids who didnt see them previously.

I'll keep my memories as they are. Oasis were the first band I got into which were mine. Not just what my dad liked, so I'll always have a soft spot for them.

Noel, I'd see again. Oasis though is for the past. I hope they don't reform.

seems like a pretty firm 'no' to me - i'm sure they would've had some word on being a possible second-runner for the slot from the festival itself if they were chasing Prince / another pain in the arse, and he wouldn't have written it off so bluntly. i thought they were definitely gonna be the last headliner, but after seeing this quote (first time i've seen the actual quote itself) it seems unlikely

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. I feel like it's just too much of a 180 if it's either Blur or FM, so I don't think it could feasibly be either..