Resale Next Week

Guest seamonkey

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried hitting refresh as much as I could but for a lot of the devices we used, we just waited. We had 2 laptops, 2 tablets, 2 phones all infront of us connecting to 1 wifi thing and all with 1 tab open and I think we only ended up constantly refreshing the laptops... got through on an iPad in the end.

My housemate in the other room got through about 15 minutes later with just 1 laptop with 1 tab.

Spent that day bopping about to Fleetwood Mac haha

Question for fellow techies here - if you enter your details and get a timeout/503 error do you think it's better to refresh or hit back and click the submit button again? During the original sale, I successfully opted for the reload option, after a quick check in Google dev tools confirmed that there hadn't been some sort of redirect that would prevent my data from being rePOSTed. The sale went through and I was very happy. I must admit I'm not 100% on the possible behaviours of the back button, but as it's not always instant, I've assumed that some server contact was involved, even if the page is ultimately served from the cache.

So my real question is this - is it safe to advise people to hit refresh rather than back + resubmit, or could this be potentially ticket losing is some circumstances?

Got the £35 refund from not paying off one of the balances today, so that ticket is now back in the pot but I am trying for 4 more in the resale. I tried auto refreshing software but found manual to be more successful in the past, I think they do something clever to try and stop them and people hammering F5 so I find that by the time I've gone round my 5 browsers and got back to the beginning its not too often to be seen as an automated program,.

Everything you can get your hands on.

On my Mac I had open Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, hit refresh constantly

Wife's work laptop with IE, Firefox and Chrome

Also iPad.

All above using 60meg broadband.

Was also using iphone, initially wifi so same broadband. Turned wifi off and used the 3G and hit straight away! Bloody fiddle to get all the details written in but worth it.

As I say, use all you can and maybe different methods, eg 3G as well as broadband.

Everything you can get your hands on.

On my Mac I had open Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera, hit refresh constantly

Wife's work laptop with IE, Firefox and Chrome

Also iPad.

All above using 60meg broadband.

Was also using iphone, initially wifi so same broadband. Turned wifi off and used the 3G and hit straight away! Bloody fiddle to get all the details written in but worth it.

As I say, use all you can and maybe different methods, eg 3G as well as broadband.

And the reason you made that harder for yourself, rather than easier, is because you were splitting the available amount of data to your IP address at least 8 times - one for each of your browsers, and one for your Ipad. Seetickets doesn't give a shit if you've got 60meg broadband or a 14.4k modem - it'll be giving you mere kilobytes per second and you're further subdividing that down until each tab doesn't have enough data to work with.

As soon as you switched over to 3G on your Ipad, rather than having 8 connections on one IP you got one connection to one IP and got through.

Having 'a few' things open to hit the site at different refresh rates may be useful but you're much, much better off if you just have one device, one browser, one tab on one connection that refreshes a lot rather than a lot of things refreshing and splitting the signal.

Edited by jamesrfisher

And the reason you made that harder for yourself, rather than easier, is because you were splitting the available amount of data to your IP address at least 8 times - one for each of your browsers, and one for your Ipad. Seetickets doesn't give a shit if you've got 60meg broadband or a 14.4k modem - it'll be giving you mere kilobytes per second and you're further subdividing that down until each tab doesn't have enough data to work with.

As soon as you switched over to 3G on your Ipad, rather than having 8 connections on one IP you got one connection to one IP and got through.

Having 'a few' things open to hit the site at different refresh rates may be useful but you're much, much better off if you just have one device, one browser, one tab on one connection that refreshes a lot rather than a lot of things refreshing and splitting the signal.