Metallica 2014

JamesT977

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The words "grasping at straws" come to mind with this whole painting Metallica as a niche act thing, they're one of the top 30 best selling artists of all time, they're huge. Like a lot of other bands of a similar size they have floated to the top of their "genre" if you like because they transcend beyond the fans of their genre, mainly by being LESS specialized and more broad with their appeal.

Their suitability has nothing to do with the genre they fall in to and everything to do with who they are individually as a band, and what they are is one of the biggest current touring acts in the world. Not small, not specialized and with a broader appeal than people here seem to realise. You don't sell that many tickets and records by being in a tiny box.

The words "grasping at straws" come to mind with this whole painting Metallica as a niche act thing, they're one of the top 30 best selling artists of all time, they're huge. Like a lot of other bands of a similar size they have floated to the top of their "genre" if you like because they transcend beyond the fans of their genre, mainly by being LESS specialized and more broad with their appeal.

Are they really "one of the top 30 best selling artists of all time"? With Phil Collins having outsold them by 50%*, I find that hard to believe.

(* if that's actually true of course. I took that from something I read in the last few days).

But also, unlike other acts with similar sized or larger sales, the vast majority of their sales will be within "rock fans". Whereas, for example, Kasabian, while also being "rock", they'll have sold their stuff to a much wider demographic.

I don't think anything is set in stone with the reception and size of their crowd, it will be interesting for sure. Obviously it's new ground for the festival and it's not the kind of band most people would have been expecting when stumping up for their tickets. That said I think they have a wider appeal than people are stating and I know from past experience they put on a brilliant show.

Their suitability has nothing to do with the genre they fall in to and everything to do with who they are individually as a band, and what they are is one of the biggest current touring acts in the world. Not small, not specialized and with a broader appeal than people here seem to realise. You don't sell that many tickets and records by being in a tiny box.

You're going over covered ground here. Metallica are at the more mainstream end of metal, but its still a niche genre in itself. In the genre, Metallica are anything but niche, they're Katy Perry. In the context of everything, its with a doubt niche, compared to the type of genres that sell the most records. I'd guess the only other act on that list who could be described as being even near heavy rock would be AC/DC.

they put on a brilliant metal show, yes, but that's really only great for metal fans isn't it? it's quite formulaic and if you don't like thrashy riffs, noodly solos and shouty vocals then it's a bit of non-starter!

one thing's for sure is that this booking will absolutely test the crossover appeal you say they have.

Metallica 1981–present 1983 Heavy metal /Thrash metal

Total available certified units: 89.8 million

110 million

Prince 1976–present 1978 Funk / R&B / Pop / Soul / Rock

Total available certified units: 61.6 million

100 million

Stevie Wonder 1961–present 1962 Funk / R&B /Soul

Total available certified units: 33.7 million

100 million

Jay-Z 1996–present 1996 Hip-hop

Total available certified units: 67.4 million

75 million

Very niche! and no cross over fans Metallica! :crazy::ninja:

Edited by craigb

they put on a brilliant metal show, yes, but that's really only great for metal fans isn't it? it's quite formulaic and if you don't like thrashy riffs, noodly solos and shouty vocals then it's a bit of non-starter!

one thing's for sure is that this booking will absolutely test the crossover appeal you say they have.

They go down brilliantly at festivals all over the world which aren't "metal festivals". It's a shame Glastonbury have had such an aversion to metal and hard rock acts because other diverse festivals elsewhere in the world wouldn't think twice about booking a band like Metallica.

Well I say this, it looks like finally Glastonbury is going to do it, but it's about time.

They go down brilliantly at festivals all over the world which aren't "metal festivals". It's a shame Glastonbury have had such an aversion to metal and hard rock acts because other diverse festivals elsewhere in the world wouldn't think twice about booking a band like Metallica.

Well I say this, it looks like finally Glastonbury is going to do it, but it's about time.

You talk lots of sense.

Surely music festivals should embrace all genres of music. Especially a festival the size of Glastonbury.

You talk lots of sense.

Surely music festivals should embrace all genres of music. Especially a festival the size of Glastonbury.

Perhaps Glastonbury is the success it is precisely because it's tended to not feature heavier acts at the top end of the bill?

I'm saying that mainly in jest, yet the record of the heavier fests in this country isn't the best, and while Download has made a good go of it it has to rely on just a few acts on constant repeat as its headliners.

Glastonbury has (since the early 80s, anyway) always featured a lot of pop (meant in the widest way) on the Pyramid and particularly at the top end of the bill, and that has given it a broad appeal which has enabled it to grow to the size that it is.