Manics

yehbutnobut

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on...there must be an album from your teenage years that you adored that you'd love to hear played live?? think of the emotions connected to that..

a full album gig can never be the best ever. The element of surprise at a gig when they play one of your favourites is a wonderful thing.

I saw the flaming lips soft bulletin full album gig, and on paper it should have been magic, but in reality it was lacking that special something.

It's up there. Partly because of the reasons Neil999 states above, but not just that. It was a bit like a smaller scale of Roses at Heaton Park. Something that everyone there had waited for for such a long time. The doubts beforehand that they may just go through the motions. The shared joy when everyone realised this wasn't the case. The whole crowd singing not just the words, but bass lines and guitar parts as well.

The venue choices (Up North anyway - I've no idea bout that London) meaning it was busy and sweaty instead of vast and lost. Everything worked. Maybe not enough miserable whiny introspection or shitty clock dancing for yourself, but plenty of bass crunches, stupid attire and one legged circular hopping for the likes of us.

Imagine that gig, but with everyone stood perfectly still, with sour faces and ironic haircuts. That's the gig ZMG will be attending!

a full album gig can never be the best ever. The element of surprise at a gig when they play one of your favourites is a wonderful thing.

I saw the flaming lips soft bulletin full album gig, and on paper it should have been magic, but in reality it was lacking that special something.

Imagine that gig, but with everyone stood perfectly still, with sour faces and ironic haircuts. That's the gig ZMG will be attending!

surely the manics arent hipster now are they?! always seen like the least 'fashionable' band there could be!

i think lack of surprise is gone for alot of gigs now...so easy to find out setlists bands are going to playing, (although i suppose i could not look up the setlist history before a gig..and there always be bands who change their setlist up quite a bit)

in fact i remember going to gigs with friends recently and telling them what song was coming next, going from their setlist history...what a weirdo/shitty thing to do! haha!

surely the manics arent hipster now are they?! always seen like the least 'fashionable' band there could be!

i think lack of surprise is gone for alot of gigs now...so easy to find out setlists bands are going to playing, (although i suppose i could not look up the setlist history before a gig..and there always be bands who change their setlist up quite a bit)

in fact i remember going to gigs with friends recently and telling them what song was coming next, going from their setlist history...what a weirdo/shitty thing to do! haha!

I'm not sure, the c**ts seem to be at every gig in london these days.

Yeh I make sure I steer clear of setlist before a gig these days, I've ruined a fair few myself doing that!

I've done that myself, but it's so hard to resist sometimes. Especially with someone with a big back catalogue and you just want to know what rarities are being played. Then you just get disappointed cos last night they played your favourite obscure album track and the gig you're at you get God is in the house or Love Letter again. (These songs included so Russy can understand).

Or they do play your favourite song and it loses it;s impact cos you were half expecting it. It's a lose lose situation and yet I still do it sometimes.

i cant not do it now, i'd rather not be dissapointed at the actual gig...but it does ruin the surprise, its a weird one

come on...there must be an album from your teenage years that you adored that you'd love to hear played live?? think of the emotions connected to that..

Are you implying that Russy wasn't always a grumpy old man? :O

On the topic of setlists, I tend to always check them especially if it's a band I'm looking forward to and want to enjoy the entire way through as I find it hard to get into songs when I'm not sure what they are. If I'm seeing a band with like 7 albums out and I've only just recently got into them I don't have the time to learn their entire discography just incase one of the early rarities come out so I just learn the setlists their playing and other big songs

I think a lot of the excitement around the Holy Bible gigs come from the fact that it was such an important album for some people yet the songs quickly vanished from the setlist at Manics gigs - mainly because after Richey they went in a different direction. A couple of tracks used to crop up now and again - mainly Faster - but not often.

Plus, they aren't just going through the motions with it. The stage set up, the outfits and the playing has all been on the money from what people have said - and it definitely was last Thursday.

Yeah, I've seen them a fair few times, and up until this year I've only seen them play Faster, She is Suffering, and This is Yesterday.

Oh, and an acoustic version of Yes.

Yeah can't think of many others I've seen either. Remember them playing Of Walking Abortion at the Millennium gig in Cardiff and some of the people around us did not know what the hell was going on!

Okay so that might not have been the best gig *ever* but it was fucking incredible. Scratched an itch I've had for a long time. Amazing stuff. Absolutely flew by and sounded awesome. James' voice held up well and the crowd helped!

Even really enjoyed the second set, not just for the obvious but felt all loved up and fond of them. Which is weird considering the kind of album THB is. Design for Life was gorgeous.

Fantastic. Enjoy tonight guys x

Hang on!!!!!!

The holy bible is hardly new, vibrant and up and coming.

That sort of show surely goes against everything you hold dear on these boards.

hehehe, yeah deep down I know it's wrong. Like shagging an old girlfriend when you've had a few. It's a bad idea, but at the time it seems so right, just later you feel dirty and cheap and used (well, if it's been any good, you do)

Hey, I'm as sometimes weak as everyone else on the nostalgia thing, but the difference is that the rest of the time I know it's a bad thing ;)

May? June? fuck, if the rouble keeps on like this, I'll be lucky to have marge to put on my bread.

I know what you mean. I don't agree with full album shows but yet....

Sorry to hear about your marge situation.

Butter's better anyway.

Butter? I dream of such western decadent luxuries. You can go see the Manics, I'm living in one of their songs ;)

(Actually, i saw them here several years ago, no c**t there, pretty much an empty hall, but they were clearly thrilled to be playing in Russia)