T In The Park 2014

Guest harryomatic

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a quote from Ellis in the Sunday Mail today that Calvin Harris only signed with his current agent on the basis that he was booked to play T every year. Ellis said he has no objections to this. So, in other words, expect Calvin to play in some capacity every single year until he (or Geoff) gets bored.

Edited by justanothername

I was fairly bored yesterday and struggled a bit to see anything great.

Started with Twilight Sad who were excellent. Bit of Rev's seemed to go down well.

Franz fairly got the tent bouncing.

Paul Weller, one of the most boring sets I've ever seen at a festival

Arctic Monkeys, they were ok but nothing special

Other than that didn't see a lot yesterday apart from the sunshine

Arctics played a bit of sabbath which has put them up in my estimation a thousandfold. They're still shite live though and Turner is the flattest shitest frontman on the circuit just now. Shame because some of their songs are excellent.

Friday.....

Maximo park- does exactly what it says on the tin, solid set, rocking full of their classics

Imagine dragons- bland, a version of 500miles which was ok

Churches- bass was brutal, louder than mogwai.....oppressively loud if that makes sense

Manics- amazing an hour of anthems, exactly as a festival set should be

Pixies- I do not have the adjective to say how good they were, sublime and savage.

Saturday....

The strangler- exactly what I was expecting old school rock from a top band, pity it was so early

James- another excellent performance a few new songs mixed classics, only disappointment was not playing tomorrow after giving crowd the choice between that and sit down

Charlatans- kinda disappointing, ok but no more than that.

Human League- brilliant, great laugh and tunes

Embrace- I enjoyed their set but I am not sure it was universally accepted.

Elbow- bland

Sunday....

Inspiral Carpets- excellent, this is how it feels is a personal favourite and they were very tight

Reverend- rocking, the fact they don't get air play is nothing short of scandalous. Top band

Kaiser Chiefs- again a great festival set, decent wee mosh pit

Passenger- great, a brilliant set by a guy on stage along with an acoustic guitar

King Charles- criminal he had a half hour set on the T break he was excellent

Franz Ferdinand- top drawer from a great band

Arctic Monkeys- fuck up of a set, decent mosh pit, AT has zero charisma, they would be a great band if they had a proper front man.

The weekend was on the whole decent, G4S were a fucking disgrace, the organisation was at best shambolic. Seen a guy being punched back into the crowd when all he wanted was to get out. They limited the entrances and exits to king tuts and none of them knew what was happening. I am still raging about the shambles of getting out of the car park last night.

Did I enjoy it? On the whole it was great, even though the acts weren't who I would've picked we saw who we wanted and had a laugh. I am bowing out though, I won't give GE another penny. I had the realisation last night I spent more for T than I did for Glastonbury, but I did see the pixies again.......

Edited by a_n_other

Just got back from a fantastic weekend. Sad to see Balado go but definitely getting a ticket for next year to see how Strathallan goes down.

Thursday

Arrived and was almost cooked alive in the queue. Found a decent camping spot (purple 4) easily enough and got the drinks in. Then managed to fall and hurt my ankle while at the Palm Stage. Just about recovered now.

Friday

- Started off with Vladimir at the T Break stage. Were good but nothing crazy exciting.

- Then saw half of Lyger, who I really enjoyed. Second time I've had to leave halfway through a set of theirs though.

- Drenge were awesome, was really looking forward to them and they didn't disappoint.

- After them was Royal Blood, who were spectacular. Been so excited to see them and thought they played loud and hard, just as I hoped. One of my highlights.

- After a few drinks back at the campsite, went to see DJ Fresh for some fun. Was a bit let down, didn't see him press play on any of his own songs.

- Wolf Alice were pretty good, liked them a lot

- Manic Street Preachers were also great, fantastic atmosphere

- Biffy Clyro were just amazing. Best thing I saw all weekend. Loved every second. Probably drawing with Foo Fighters as my favourite T set ever.

Saturday

- Started with Brownbear, who were good but didn't really excite me.

- Then saw Circa Waves, who I'd seen supporting Phoenix earlier in the year and wanted to properly check out. Really liked their energy and enthusiasm. Definitely a band to watch out for in the future.

- Fatherson were on next. A band I've liked for a while, and I was really impressed at the size of crowd they pulled, good on them.

- Didn't really know any of George Ezra, and didn't really like him. Was a bit boring, found myself yawning and feeling sleepy.

- We Are Scientists played with punch and were good fun. But the crowd didn't respond much, perhaps still waking up from George Ezra.

- The Lafontaines were pretty great as usual. They know how to work a crowd.

- Then went back for a few more drinks before The Human League. My best friend is a huge Aberdeen FC fan so, we wanted to go and sing Peter Pawlett Baby. Shallow, but fun. It was better than I could have ever imagined. The set as a whole was great, and Don't You Want Me was incredible. The energy and volume felt like they were going to blow the roof off King Tuts.

- Paolo Nutini was dull. Just doesn't do it for me.

- Calvin Harris was great. Crowd was loving it and the light show was fantastic. His remix of a Killers song worked well (must have come up with it at his Vegas residency). And Will Smith was there. Will. Smith.

Sunday

- Tijuana Bibles were a pretty good way to start the day off.

- Happened to walk past BBC Introducing and saw Chvrches were about to start a secret set. Went in and had a good time, even though it's the third time I've seen them. Think they need to keep quiet for a while and come up with some new material though.

- Then caught the last 10 minutes of The Twilight Sad, thought they were very good. Will be checking out their albums soon.

- Kaiser Chiefs weren't as good as usual. I think it was just because it was so hot at that point that crowd couldn't summon the energy to really get in to it. I was quite far back in the crowd though.

- Catfish & The Bottlemen were a good band to perk me back up. Liked their energy and tunes.

- Darlia were slightly disappointing. Think I prefer them on record to live.

- Then saw the last 20 minutes of Tame Impala, who were great. Chilled but still engaging.

- Was so excited to see Franz Ferdinand in Tuts, the atmosphere I knew would be electric. Was very rewarded, it was a fantastic set and Take Me Out was one of the highlights of the weekend.

- Arctic Monkeys were the biggest disappointment of the whole weekend. Dull set, huge lack of passion, unimpressive light show. They looked like they really didn't want to be there. I don't think the new album translates well in to the live setting. It's mellow and that doesn't work when headlining a festival.

Overall, a brilliant weekend, with two fantastic headline sets and one rubbish one.

My brief reflection of the weekend:

Chvrches were incredible. The fact that they seem like such genuinely nice people added to their terrific music. Their third set at Radio 1 was just as good, gutted I missed the Introducing set.

I hate Ed Sheeran's music, but I can't deny his use of loop pedals is pretty interesting to watch, and he definitely seemed to be giving it his all.

Biffy played one of the best gigs I've ever been to. It clearly meant a lot to them, and I found it pretty emotional to watch. 57 made me go wild.

Saturday night I ended going to the headphone disco because my options were so awful. Calvin Harris' crowd and light show seemed decent, and Will Smith introducing was a nice touch, but the music he was playing was so bland and repetitive.

Twin Atlantic were pretty decent. I don't enjoy them on record, but they know how to put on a show.

Circa Waves were a nice way to start the day. But the rain was a bit of a downer.

Tijuana Bibles were very impressive, they did a great job of filling in for Earl Sweatshirt. They were very interesting to watch.

Meeting Franz Ferdinand was pretty cool in the signing tent, so glad I was able to be given that opportunity. Told them they should have been headlining instead of Calvin, and they said that was the best thing they had heard all weekend.

Kaiser Chiefs were fantastic. Ricky Wilson is a brilliant frontman, and they gave it 100%, and played all the golden oldies.

Franz Ferdinand played an incredible set, the whole tent was bouncing. So gutted I decided to leave early to get a good spot for AM...

Arctic Monkeys really let me down. They're one of my favourite bands, but despite their history with the festival, they just treated it like another tour date and played the exact same setlist as they have been doing all Summer. It was almost identical to their Finsbury Park set, which was very good, but for a festival like T they should have brought a lot more crowd pleasers.

But as with every T, you go away with plenty of hilarious memories, and I had an absolute ball

I've seen some of the Arctic Monkeys set and have to say I thought it looked very average. Seen then at T in 2011 and Glastonbury last year where they were brilliant.

Rough as fuck went to see dj fresh human league soul 2 soul disclosure biffy all excellent

Silent disco ,palm stage ,slam and the cocktail bar were pure class

There needing to get a drinks bar closer to slam fucking 100 mile walk.

Bed......;)

Feeling totally broken today, top top weekend, considering I started it of on my own.

Thursday - like everyone got cooked in that sun waiting to get in, the Palm stage was ace that night. One small grumble, after pitching up took a walk around the site, I think they severley underestimated how little space there was for people originally by not having red open earlier, was close to a few scenes with some folk and the unfortunately campsite assistants having to deal with it.

Friday - Got cooked more. Seen the following

Charlie XCX - nice to look at, bit rubbish on the music

The Rifles - Went down well, got a good reception

Foxes - decent for her type of act, got a few singalongs

Haim - totally biased, love them.

Bits of Imagine Dragons, The Magic Numbers - not a fan of the former but they got the crowd going from what I did see

Chvrches - Brilliant brilliant set, you could tell it meant alot to them.

Manics - Awesome.

Biffy - Loved it but was knackered to get fully into it

Saturday

Kiesza - Actually quite enjoyed her, got some vocals on her

Fatherson - not bad

The Stranglers - great as usual

John Cooper Clarke - Great stuff, very dry dark humour at times

James - Didnt enjoy it as much as I would have liked, too many newer songs maybe

Rudimental - Unashambly really enjoyed their set, they really get into it

Pharrell - pretty decent, alot of crowd pleasing songs

Paolo Nutini - great set, justified his placing imo

Calvin Harris - really wasnt going to see him but bumped into some folk I knew and stuck with him, really enjoyed despite my intentions and the end of the world rain shower, seemed to go with the light show

Sunday - Stuck with the group I bumped into on Saturday, spent most of it drinking tbh, didnt feel like I missed much

Rev & The Makers - decent set as usual

Kaiser Chiefs - as above

Paul Weller - seemed really flat from bits I saw

Franz Ferdinand - brilliant set, tent was bouncing

Arctic Monkeys - wasnt the best or worst I've seen em, decent. Seemed a bit flat when comapring to the previous nights headline showings.

Had a brilliant time, gutted to see it leave Balado tbh, alot of good memories. Will see what they pull out for the new place before making any decisions though.

The weekend was on the whole decent, G4S were a fucking disgrace, the organisation was at best shambolic. Seen a guy being punched back into the crowd when all he wanted was to get out. They limited the entrances and exits to king tuts and none of them knew what was happening. I am still raging about the shambles of getting out of the car park last night.

Edited by crazyguy

Well thought I would share my experiences of the weekend. I was a T virgin before this weekend so I don't have any emotional Balado Attachment but here goes.

Friday:

The Rifles: Pretty dam good, didn't know many songs, but they sounded slick and solid throughout.

Maximo Park: Pretty solid set as above. I knew more songs here. Just sat in the sun and listened to some great music. (also nice to see the Beeb cut out there jab at Radio 1 from the full set online...)

The Magic Numbers: Again a solid set. I was stood in the front row between a 50ish year old woman and a 8ish year old girl, talk about diversity!

You Me At 6: Alright, not that big a fan, but is seemed from other fans I overheard that it wasent there best

Manics: Really enjoyed this, great set from a great band.

Biffy Clyro: It was alright, not as good as I had hoped, but good enough.

Saturday:

Fatherson: One of the highlights, great up-and coming band destined for big things, who knows, TITP 2024 could have Fatherson headlining (In a biffy esque story)! Was just infront of a group of underage girls, who were obviously only there waiting for George Ezera, as the hoped every song was the last... shame really, they didnt deserve to be second row of the crowed.

James: Brilliant set, loved hearing the new songs and Tim is great at getting the audience pumped up!

Human League: Missed the first few songs but it was pretty decent, singing along to DYWMB was definitely a weekend highlight.

Paolo Nutini: only saw the first for songs but he seemed alright, could see the new album was getting a lot of attention and the crowds were way to packed for my liking.

Bombay Bicycle Club: Solid live band, really enjoyed this and glad I left Paolo. (Think I might not b allowed to vote in the independence referendum after that remark.) Had left them early at Rockness and regretted it, so this was compensation.

Elbow: Wasent sure what I would make of it, but I obviously enjoyed it enough to stay out in the freezing rain for the whole set. (Although gutted I missed Will Smith... Not Calvin, Just Will Smith)

Sunday:

Reverend and the Makers: They were really late in starting so I missed Kodaline, but im not that bothered. Again another jibe at Radio 1 and they are not on the website... conspiracy anyone? haha

Kaiser Cheifs: Pretty decent set, although I was really tired for some reason, still massively enjoined it though.

Franz Ferdinand: Ah, now that woke me up! What a set, fantastic, I might have swapped some song out, (Where was Evil Eye) and I was almost late, (Bloody Pizza Queue (Worth It)) but it was one of the highlights!

Arctic Monkeys: And now im falling asleep again... Started off in the OK middle back spot, but thought I would move to the very back for a better view. Thought the whole set was really quiet... Props to the guy who was dragging the "Please Do Not Climb On The T" sign through the middle of the crowed! I was underwhelmed and cold at the back. Had been saying all year that it should have been Biff Friday AM Saturday, and [iNSERT BiG NAME ACT HERE] Sunday. and that only proved it.

All in all though, a good first T experience Yes. Will I be back next year, Depends on the line up... and MONEY!

I don't know why they bother putting effort into making the queue seem ordered on the Thursday, people just push it down and burst through anyway. I probably would have been standing there for another two hours being burnt alive in the sun if the group in front of me hadn't knocked it down.

Not sure how I feel about T as a whole this year, yet. Had a great time with my mates and campsite but the music just wasn't up to much - don't get me wrong, some were great and I didn't mind the line up before but something was missing.

Plus I dunno, I really don't think the organisers celebrated/embraced the '#byebyebalado' theme as well they could've or should've. Balado deserved some special surprise or something. The only cool thing about the send off last night was the red sky and full moon.

People wise, crowd wise, camp wise, food wise, drink wise, smoke wise, staff wise, etc - All pretty great. Was sunbathing on my own outside my tent face down and within 5 mins I had 3 staff running up thinking I was passed out - was good to see they were looking out and all!

TITP2015 is a definite for me but just to see what it's like to be honest as I'm not expecting any change to the line up. Feel like I've seen everyone after seeing one.

Literally amazing, I can't believe how much of a mess I was on sunday. Somehow I ended up watching both arctic monkeys and disclosure

twisted my hip during biffy clyro, and passed out far too many times this weekend. Definitely feeling it... alcohol is evil.

nice security too, one guy let me into the arena with all my drinks.

Must add to my previous comments, thought they did well keeping the arena, toilets etc relatively clean this year, wasnt wading through too much rubbish or going into overfilled toilets at all really, fair play to them for that. Every random I bumped into, talked too etc was friendly too, might be the overall weather assisting there.

Re-watched Biffys, Calvin and Chvrches sets, sometimes dont realise how loud or mental crowds are in when your in the middle of them!