How big really is Glastonbury?

Divein

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know it's not gonna be as quick but it makes me feel a bit better as I've got a bit of a dodgy leg and the distance was bothering me... the leg is getting better but it's been bad for years so it prob wont be totally better by then. I'm quite happy to take things slowly anywayz.. want to check out as much as possible. It's very unlikely I'm gonna be rushing from one side of the site to another in any kind of rush.

You're going to have to plan your festival more carefully than usual. Depending on the nature of your injury you might find that it's not distance that is your main enemy, but the rigours of the site itself. A few hours of stomping through sticky ground, or climbing hills, or jumping up and down to your favourite band, will give your recovery a real testing.

I can sympathise, being on the tail-end of a 3-year recovery from a chronic groin strain (upper thigh). My advice would be to take it easy the first couple fo days and see how it is reacting. Also consider camping centrally? But if you're anything like me you'll probably do whatever you want and cane it and take the consequences!

You're going to have to plan your festival more carefully than usual. Depending on the nature of your injury you might find that it's not distance that is your main enemy, but the rigours of the site itself. A few hours of stomping through sticky ground, or climbing hills, or jumping up and down to your favourite band, will give your recovery a real testing.

I can sympathise, being on the tail-end of a 3-year recovery from a chronic groin strain (upper thigh). My advice would be to take it easy the first couple fo days and see how it is reacting. Also consider camping centrally? But if you're anything like me you'll probably do whatever you want and cane it and take the consequences!

I've done Download, Reading and Soni a few times each since I injured it so I've been able to do festivals but yeah when it is particularly muddy/hilly/wet etc. it can cause even more of a strain. I generally take it easy when watching bands (stand further back, sit if I need to etc unless it is one of my fave bands then I just do whatever I want really lol) but on the other two days I'm going to aim to try see stuff in some sort of order. My physio is aiming for me to be better by June so it may be a non issue but I have Download early in June so I'm going to see how I do there and then adjust my plans for Glasto based on that. At the moment I'm considering camping in the Pylon Ground since it is near one of the major routes through the site and near the festival bus station.

Edited by SOAD

I find it interesting comparing it to other festival sites such as Reading and Leeds, Download, TitP.

Compared to Download, which I think is the 2nd biggest festival site in the UK, Glastonbury is about twice the size of the arena and camping put together, also fitting the racetrack inside it.

And people complain about the walk at download.

I realised just how big it was after U2 in 2011. Granted it was pissing down and muddy but it took us 2 hours to get back to west camper van far field!!!

I found the same journey on the Saturday night much harder tbh. Semi dried mud is 10 x worse than the wet stuff!

I did have a baby in a trailer to make it more difficult but that walk to CV West is one of the most physically demanding things I've ever done. I was literally exhausted when we finally reached the camper and just collapsed on the ground!

• 1 year later...

It can be really big if you are unfit have blisters are wearing wellies its hot and are carrying a pack, or if its muddy. A really muddy year you see people discard things like the retreat from moscow .

Get used to walking miles now have good worn in boots and its much smaller

I remember looking at that postcode thing and thinking it was smaller than I thought, but the postcode finder puts you right in the middle of it, so any distance you are looking at it only half the size of Glastonbury, if that makes sense. When you look at it, you have to think about walking from one side of it to the other, not from your house to the edge.

Also - if I walk to Tescos from my house, there's mostly just houses to walk past on the way, not stages & stalls & sound systems, food, loads and loads of people, and random events. That's what makes it bigger

I remember looking at that postcode thing and thinking it was smaller than I thought, but the postcode finder puts you right in the middle of it, so any distance you are looking at it only half the size of Glastonbury, if that makes sense. When you look at it, you have to think about walking from one side of it to the other, not from your house to the edge.

Also - if I walk to Tescos from my house, there's mostly just houses to walk past on the way, not stages & stalls & sound systems, food, loads and loads of people, and random events. That's what makes it bigger

Yeah, it's all the stuff + people that makes it feel so massive. Just try walking across the Pyramid field on the Thursday. It's a piece of piss. And those videos of the site when the festival site is a farm - it just seems so much smaller.

"Glastonbury is big. Really big. You just wont believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think its a long way down the road to the chemists, but thats just peanuts to Glastonbury"

As soon as i started reading this, my mind's internal voice morphed into Peter Jones's! I love hitchhiker's guide! Genius.