The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

7 hours ago, paulshane said:

just use empty tonic water etc bottles - they are built to resist pressurised contents, so will easily cope with some rum.

this, any of the tesco (other brands are available) own brand flavored water, tonic or soda water bottles are prefect in over here they are about €0.40 so worth buying just to empty out the content

30 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

HI All, this year I'm thinking of moving to a camp-bed would you have any recommendations that won't break my back carting in and won't break the bank to buy?

TIA

They’ve gone up a bit in price since I purchased mine & you’ve got to carry a pump but these are so good we use as guest beds. You do need a SIM on-top too - so might not be what you had in mind for your budget. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-bed-base-camp-bed-air-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-309887

Comes with a 5-year warranty 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

HI All, this year I'm thinking of moving to a camp-bed would you have any recommendations that won't break my back carting in and won't break the bank to buy?

TIA

Predictably, that's not a natural combination though it depends a bit on your thresholds.

The ~25 quid basic "assemble the parts" models sold in most stores including Argos are generally pretty decent for a cheap and cheerful option. They're not disastrously heavy, coming in at approx 3kg, but they're a shade too narrow for my taste - though that's obviously somewhat personal preference based on how you sleep.

Using that as an entry level, anything else is going to have to compromise on at least one of weight, extra width, or cost - personally wanting some extra width the two options I'd look at are either the wider versions of the above which don't cost that much more but always seem to come in significantly heavier at ~4.25kg, or the Robens Outpost Low which comes in a shade wider and is only ~2kg, but is properly expensive (80 quid and that's if you shop around).

I've also looked at some of the cheaper "ultralite" ones that have appeared over the past few years, but they always seem pretty flimsy and the one I tried was very unstable if it was being used on not perfectly flat and level ground.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Another eforum account said:

They’ve gone up a bit in price since I purchased mine & you’ve got to carry a pump but these are so good we use as guest beds. You do need a SIM on-top too - so might not be what you had in mind for your budget. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-camping-bed-base-camp-bed-air-70-cm-1-person/_/R-p-309887

Comes with a 5-year warranty 

This is the business paired with a 10 cm SIM. We also use as a spare guest bed at home 

54 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

TIA

I’ve got one of these - FE Active Folding Camping Cot - Lightweight, Compact, Portable Outdoor Bed Comfortable Sleeping Cots for Adults & Kids. Fits Single Air Mattress Pad. Camping, Travel, RV | Designed in California, USA https://amzn.eu/d/4JVXoAA

and while not super cheap it is very light (2kg) folds up really small, super sturdy (I’m 95kgs) and is really comfy. Top with a SIM and you’re good to go

32 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Weird … just couldn’t get on with it at the fest … maybe my SIM wasn’t thick enough . 

From memory my old outwell dreamboat 12cm was perfect, the decathlon one a bit thin IMO. Also I’ve only ever used on the flat so not sure how they do on sloping ground. 

1 minute ago, Another eforum account said:

From memory my old outwell dreamboat 12cm was perfect, the decathlon one a bit thin IMO. Also I’ve only ever used on the flat so not sure how they do on sloping ground. 

Felt like some kind of torture device … will give it another go as the reviews are great and I brought it on reccomendation from here so it’s likely just me 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare2 said:

That’s a shame, I sleep like a baby on it! Perhaps a thin SIM is too flimsy and dip through the slats.

I've got 1 and it's so much more comfy than a SIM on its own. But my husband tried it and was not a fan. Dunno how lying down can go so wrong, I thought he was going to get stuck between the slats and I'd need to get a new bed (and husband) 🤣

38 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I've got 1 and it's so much more comfy than a SIM on its own. But my husband tried it and was not a fan. Dunno how lying down can go so wrong, I thought he was going to get stuck between the slats and I'd need to get a new bed (and husband) 🤣

O dear! Thicker SIM needed then definitely 

Does anyone have any recommendations on decent trolleys or sack trucks/trolley please? 

Or what people prefer of the two? First time in 11 Glastonbury's I'm going to be using one... don't want to be one of those who end up having to ditch it because they break x

32 minutes ago, Drfoxxx said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on decent trolleys or sack trucks/trolley please? 

Or what people prefer of the two? First time in 11 Glastonbury's I'm going to be using one... don't want to be one of those who end up having to ditch it because they break x

I’ve bought one of these, feels strong. Getting a small tyre pump and some extra pins in case I need to make emergency repairs. 

IMG_0859.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Drfoxxx said:

Loads to be found on various threads but these are ones that won't let you down...

https://www.diy.com/departments/garden-trolley-150kg/5063022022387_BQ.prd?storeId=1173&

22 hours ago, donthaveacoolname said:

TIA

Eurohike Utah 4 Leg Campbed | GO Outdoors

I've one of these.  Piece of piss to assemble, cheap, light and comfy.  If I'm ever solo camping I always use it.

34 minutes ago, savethatjek said:

I’ve bought one of these, feels strong. Getting a small tyre pump and some extra pins in case I need to make emergency repairs. 

IMG_0859.png

There's no point taking a pump.  Most likely mode of failure will be a puncture or the tyre de-hubbing due to uneven / muddy ground and overloading.

Recommend taking a spare wheel and a spanner.  Get a solid rubber wheel instead of pneumatic.

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HH46810 said:

Any recommendations for a good blow up double mattress? Happy to pay whatever (within reason) for anything that could give me a couple extra hours of sleep each night!

Me & Mrs 4am have this:  Berghaus Air Double Self-Inflating Mat | GO Outdoors

Pricey, bulky - but as comfy as an actual bed.  We got it in an online flash sale for about £125.

4 minutes ago, mike86 said:

Does anyone have any tips for a good backpack?

IMO all backpacks are fairly equal - I got similar to or exactly this

https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/16538032/eurohike-nepal-65-rucksack-16538032/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&istCompanyId=415fd961-0fbe-471a-8d25-aa4bf950e4dc&istFeedId=3287f15f-80da-4a73-a88d-add9cd484610&istItemId=rimqwlmla&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF80d3T-8EucWOE-Te6SRx42euS3gYaubJptwwXYaxL4A-6XsAdOziAaAiC3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's always a student discount or cashback with these outdoors sites, happy to send a code over if you want one 🙂