The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

On 5/16/2024 at 1:00 PM, Soulphuric said:

To save me scrolling through this or other threads, does anyone have any good, current recommendations for sleeping bags please?  Having to buy 4 of them, so it's a balance between price and warmth.  Cheers!

Any of the synthetic bags from Alpkit

or

Mountain Equipment Starlight I or II

Ok so need a camping chair I think . Decided to appease the weather gods … will be left at camp . I’ve seen them recommended here before but can’t find them . Probably one that packs down small ideally . 

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ok so need a camping chair I think . Decided to appease the weather gods … will be left at camp . I’ve seen them recommended here before but can’t find them . Probably one that packs down small ideally . 

IMG_1326.jpeg.76a0ab1d8da3221635364ca31fd450f0.jpeg

Moxtoyu folding chair on Amazon prime. £25.  You can get a base that prevents it sinking in mud but of course that won’t be needed . Fits in a rucksack 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

IMG_1326.jpeg.76a0ab1d8da3221635364ca31fd450f0.jpeg

Moxtoyu folding chair on Amazon prime. £25.  You can get a base that prevents it sinking in mud but of course that won’t be needed . Fits in a rucksack 

You tried it ? 

Just now, balti-pie said:

They’re a bit of a bugger to get out of, they are low to the ground. YMMV, I’m a big bloke of 6ft 2! 

I’m 6ft 1 … will maybe give it a try at home and see . Flexibility is dire so that might be a factor 

40 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’m 6ft 1 … will maybe give it a try at home and see . Flexibility is dire so that might be a factor 

If it’s just for the tent at the campsite might be better with one of the usual style folding camp chairs. Bulkier to carry but more comfy if you’re a six footer+. At 5 8 I find them ok. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

If it’s just for the tent at the campsite might be better with one of the usual style folding camp chairs. Bulkier to carry but more comfy if you’re a six footer+. At 5 8 I find them ok. 

Ideally looking for one that is a pack up small job as I’m not going to have much space in bike trailers . Will see . Thanks 

On 5/16/2024 at 1:00 PM, Soulphuric said:

To save me scrolling through this or other threads, does anyone have any good, current recommendations for sleeping bags please?  Having to buy 4 of them, so it's a balance between price and warmth.  Cheers!

Kelty Mistral 20F - was £39.95 from Absolute Snow the other week. Not listed at the moment but it keeps coming back as stock turns up.

Massive, massive step up from the Eurohike two-season wonders that are half the price at Go Outdoors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Go outdoors sale has started, always good for last minute buys

Got a pre-owned Coleman Octagon for £45 yesterday (which is the tent I already have). Looks barely used, and basically means I have spares of everything now, and elsewhere a replacement of each pole is £14.50.

I didn’t know they sold pre-owned gear but will be going back A LOT now to see what else I can score.

Edited by dillonstandard

Just now, dillonstandard said:

Got a pre-owned Coleman Octagon for £45 yesterday (which is the tent I already have). Looks barely used, and basically means I have spares of everything now, and elsewhere a replacement of each pole is £14.50,

I didn’t know they sold pre-owned gear but will be going back A LOT now to see what else I can score.

Yes, I got a footprint for our eurohike 4 man tent, not for the festival, ,  £10.  The sales corner in our local store has some real bargains. 

So, having found that my tent is mouldy when I went to put it up at Shindig last week (yes, I know I should have checked it before I went) I am now needing a new one. Any recommendations on best brands or places to buy please?

1 minute ago, rwhitehouse13 said:

So, having found that my tent is mouldy when I went to put it up at Shindig last week (yes, I know I should have checked it before I went) I am now needing a new one. Any recommendations on best brands or places to buy please?

Quechua Fresh and Black from Decalthlon.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, rwhitehouse13 said:

Quechua Fresh and Black. It really is a game changer. 

2 hours ago, rwhitehouse13 said:

Once you go Fresh and Black you dont go back. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the efestivals ones have special identifying light strings now 

LOL - I hope it wasn't me that started that! I mentioned I had bought the wind up strings the other day and everyone jumped on it 😄