WWE

lharris92

56 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks are the wrestlers people like my Mum talk about because it’s all they know, just like how my boss at work calls anything that is remotely heavy ‘thrash metal’ because that’s the only term he knows :lol:   

Because they were proper household names when British Wrestling was shown on prime time TV in the UK. Just because they are before your time doesn't mean they aren't important.

12 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Because they were proper household names when British Wrestling was shown on prime time TV in the UK. Just because they are before your time doesn't mean they aren't important.

Please find the part in my post when I said they weren’t important. 

21 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Your post very much seemed to be dismissive of them, apologies if I misread.

In terms of more modern names Finlay worth a mention?

He's Irish ain't he?

The most overlooked people I can think of who aren't from pre-80s is Nick Aldis the current NWA champ and Marty Scurll part of The Elite and current Ring Of Honour booker but I wouldn't include them over others though.

26 minutes ago, jump said:

He's Irish ain't he?

The most overlooked people I can think of who aren't from pre-80s is Nick Aldis the current NWA champ and Marty Scurll part of The Elite and current Ring Of Honour booker but I wouldn't include them over others though.

Northern Irish so British.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:12 PM, pink_triangle said:

I gave up a year ago and haven't been tempted back.  To me wrestling works best when you have a mix of different types of wrestlers, different personalities, mix between serious  and not serious.  I think whenever you try to make it more uniform the product suffers.

Honestly you should give AEW a go. It's a great, diverse product. I hadn't watched wrestling properly for years, but they have me hooked. Lots of fresh ideas and a lot of quality talent who are given proper creative freedom. Has a great mix of different styles of both matches and storytelling. Jake Roberts has been laying down some awesome old school promos as a manager, yet they also have Matt Hardy doing his completely bonkers 'Broken' gimmick. They're providing the new, hybrid sort of product that TNA started to aim for before completely imploding. AEW seem to have learnt from those mistakes and are providing a consistently good product as a result. It's not all perfect but given they've only run TV shows since October, they've learnt on the job very fast as to what works for them and what doesn't. 

Also Chris Jericho has had yet another peak, he's as good now as he was in the 90s. Has been in awesome form and has given a lot of lesser known, young talent some major rub and you can see how he has helped improve them. I genuinely think he's the greatest of all time, well, of the modern era anyway. To keep himself so relevant whilst reinventing and developing his character for such a long time is amazing, I don't think anyone else has done it so well and for so long.

• Upvote 2

The Stampede was brilliant fun. I loved Sammy's reaction to Omega and Hardy in the golf cart and Page losing interest in the match and going to the bar.

I always look forward to Cody's matches but they always end so overbooked tho, I'm looking forward to what Archer does next. I really enjoyed the ladder match too but I'm not sure on the format as a regularly thing, with Elimination Chamber or The Royal Rumble it requires all the wrestlers to be there before you can win but with this it doesn't matter.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:14 PM, jump said:

Apparently the WWE Network is free now, it has"selective PPVs" but apart from that it's seems it's the same as the paid version.

From what I saw it has the talk shows, Monday Night Wars doc and the Raw, SDL and NXT replays that are like 3 weeks after the fact.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed to hear about AJ Styles being an alllivesmatter, flat earther type but at least he's been smart enough not to be openly talking about it.

The Undertaker Last Ride is a decent watch, it's basically him feeling guilty for carrying on and not living up to the legend. His reaction to the Saudi shit shows is the same as the fans, the weirdest thing is him talking normally without the gimmick..

Backlash was alright, Drew vs Lashley was great and the Viking Profits thing was so bad it's good but the "greatest wrestling match ever" was just okay and too fucking long. 

• 1 month later...

I haven’t watched weekly WWE for ages now because AEW is my preference but I still keep abreast of what is happening in the E but after watching a bit of ‘The Horror Show’, I think I’m properly done. Current WWE is worse than any point in all my years of watching. Proper, proper naff all round. 

The fact that AEW has smashed it the last three weeks, watching those shows especially really highlights how shite WWE is now. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone persevered with WWE and still watching? I'm trying to keep going but it's not getting much better. However Randy Orton is absolutely incredible. When he can be arsed he is one of the top heels the company has ever had. This whole fued with McIntyre has been fantastic, from their promos to their match at SummerSlam. 

Edited by DareToDibble

^I was gonna watch Summerslam but then I didn’t. It’s not really to do with having no crowds but the continued problems of it being an average product.

The only real feud I found interesting was Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville but with the nutter fan trying to kidnap Sonya they have understandably had to change it.

Edited by jump

Not watched any WWE other than the odd PPV for years, still check in semi-recently to see what's happening. 

AEW still proves to be more hit than miss, weekly programming is generally great though when they have a lacklustre Dynamite it tends to be a real stinker. All Out looks like its gonna be a great show though. The slow burn Hangman/Omega collision course angle with added Young Bucks/FTR has been excellent story telling over the course of months and months. Really hope Hangman gets a massive push out of it, his character and in ring work has been awesome the last year and he's clearly main event material for a long time.

AEW’s All Out was a mixed bag and the weakest PPV they’ve put on imo. There were some really awesome parts to the show but a lot of times I found my attention wandering off. Matt Hardy took a truly sickening bump which made me so uncomfortable, as did the decision not to end the match there and then. They really fucked up on that one and the decision to allow Hardy to continue genuinely left me angry. Check it out for yourselves if you want to see what I’m talking about but it is distressing viewing. 

• 2 months later...

Seen Zelina Vega has been fired for standing up to the ridiculous 'independent worker' conditions placed under workers. Wonder if before long someone will openly challenge the contracts etc in Court, would imagine they'll crumble under any serious forensic examination. I really want to give at least NXT a shot for a few weeks but these horror stories really do put me off.

Another good PPV show from AEW, given the circumstances. Intrigued where they go from here, especially with Revolution being over 3 months away. Imagine we may well get a big Saturday night 'Bash At The Beach' episode of Dynamite on top of the Thursday show to effectively fill in the bit event gap.

Also feel that AEW/NWA have come to some sort of arrangement to merge the women's division. Would give NWA exposure and frankly AEW have been shit at giving it airtime. Can see a dedicated YouTube show coming from AEW/NWA to give more exposure to the division, as well as the nominal exposure on Dynamite. Frankly the roster is so bloated with talent they're dying out for this second TV slot that was due to come pre-pandemic.

18 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Seen Zelina Vega has been fired for standing up to the ridiculous 'independent worker' conditions placed under workers. Wonder if before long someone will openly challenge the contracts etc in Court, would imagine they'll crumble under any serious forensic examination. I really want to give at least NXT a shot for a few weeks but these horror stories really do put me off.

Another good PPV show from AEW, given the circumstances. Intrigued where they go from here, especially with Revolution being over 3 months away. Imagine we may well get a big Saturday night 'Bash At The Beach' episode of Dynamite on top of the Thursday show to effectively fill in the bit event gap.

One of the guys on Biden's team, Andrew Yang has been talking alot about this, he even went onto Jericho's podcast to talk about it.

It's gone to the courts and has had public attention before but it comes down to the same thing, WWE is the biggest place going (even with AEW) and the compromise to work there out ways the name building and money, unless the main eventers and top mid-carders are willing to stick their neck outs nothing will change.