Films

Rufus Gwertigan

John Goodman was the best thing in The Big Lebowski, and Tom Cruise/Julianne Moore in Magnolia. Other than that, I'd agree.

Damn right he was! Hoffman's creepy PA was the 3rd best in the movie (after JG and the lead) but it enriched the film for sure :)

I think the Nal puts his finger on it exactly, he has an air of the strange, often camp and frequently creepy, none in a bad way.

I haven't watched Magnolia, still. Might have to change that.

Doubt is an underrated performance from him. His air of justified righteousness when accusations come his way is majestic and he just towers over everyone. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead shows a seriously nasty side to him as well that you don't see enough. There's a sinister edge in The Master, but nowhere near what he showed in that.

Best epitaph he could have had. It is a genuine shame that we won't have more from him. I'm not one for mindless worship of dead slebs, this is a genuine loss, he could have had 30 or more years of more great roles in him. So many films where his understated, yet standout roles have benefited. I've watched 3 films in the last 2 weeks (Big Lebowski, The talented mr ripley and the most recent hunger games) which have all benefitted from his presence. How the hunger games trilogy will stand now that one of the leading parts is going to have to be changed (and he was only setting up the character in the 2nd film)

His parts have already been filmed, I hear.

But yeah, a sad loss of a remarkable actor. I bumped Capote up my watchlist for obvious reasons and watched it last night and, while the film wasn't particularly great, he was absolutely sublime.

McAvoy just throws everything at it. Great stuff.

The All Together

Comedy with Danny Dyer and Martin Freeman. It's pretty damn funny. All sorts of really stupid stuff going on. There's some belting cringe comedy while Martin Freeman is trying to conduct an interview for TV, while the real belly laughs come when his housemate lets two guys into the house thinking they're estate agents and Danny Dyer just kinda loses it and pulls a gun on the folk in the house, and what follows from there is well worth seeing. Unfortunately this will be gone from Netflix tomorrow, so I'd suggest other means, but it's worth a look.

7/10

Watched Rush. Meh. 6/10 at best. Barely scratched the surface. Told the story. Thats about it. Nothing added. Quite a pointless movie actually.

The documentary is much more enjoyable.

Thought exactly the same. Rush really wasn't helped by the fact I'd seen that documentary only about 2 or 3 days before going to the cinema

I'm not really interested in F1 or motor sport in general. Don't think I've watched a full race since the late 90s when I had a flatmate who was obsessed with it and I'd need Google to tell me who the current world champion is. But that documentary, like all the best documentaries, did a brilliant job of making someone who wasn't interested in the subject to begin with, really care about the story and want to know more. Like Senna, and (to me, the best recent motor sport doc) TT Closer to The Edge.

Rush was OK, it was just a bit 'Ron Howard' (and I'd struggle to explain what I mean by that, but I know it when I see it. Even in films of his I like)

It would of been a three hour film and of only interest to me and other hardcore F1 fans if they had done it more in-depth. The documentary is good but nothing original in its approach. Unlike the Senna "film" which is the probably the best example of how they could of done it differently but its not really a film is it, then again its not a documentary either. I still think Senna is the best F1 related production done to date.

The film did its job and was beautifully shot. The actors where almost inseparable from their real world characters. Was also awesome to see the original cars being brought back to life.

I think to compare a film to a documentary is like comparing apples to oranges.

It was well shot yeah. Music was ok in parts. Acting was ok. Nothing gritty in the movie. Nothing about Hunt doing coke. The movie just skimmed on the surface. Nothing to grasp on to like there was in Cinderella Man.

First 10 minutes - "Heres James Hunt. Hes a womaniser and a good time boy. Heres Niki Lauda. Hes your stereotypical Austro-German. They're so different. Get it? OK heres the story."

Reminded me of one of those football auto bios where only 5% of it is interesting and the rest is "then we went and lost at Stoke and should've won" etc.

Rush was OK, it was just a bit 'Ron Howard' (and I'd struggle to explain what I mean by that, but I know it when I see it. Even in films of his I like)

I know exactly what you mean. You could've went to the shops and came back and missed half the film and wouldn't have missed much. Apart from the crash obviously.

I didn't like the way they had to fictionalise the rivalry. Wasn't the case at all. And if they had've delved deeper into the characters the wouldn't have had to make it up. And it would have been more interesting as a result.

Edited by The Nal

Yeah fair play... I don't disagree with you.

I just allowed my brain to just enjoy it for it what it was though. It was a fun movie for any F1 fan I felt. I just love the cars and any opportunity to see them. I would of loved a proper serious in deep portrayal but it would of bombed in box office takings.

I think the shooting of the crash was well done.

It was yeah. The racing was well done too. I listened to it loud. The missus was asking me to turn it down!