Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Catch Me if You Can, Aviator, Blood Diamond, Great Gatsby, Inception, Departed, Django, Wolf Of Wall Street....

OK Leo, we get it, you're the best actor of your generation, you can stop apologising for The Beach, it's cool man.

Really want to check out American Hustle - any good?

I thought he was great in This Boy's Life back in 1993 aswell.

Rush is a close contender for film of the year for me. Sure, the leads were stock characters, but that's the currency of blockbuster cinema, they were really well written and played excellently by Hemsworth and Bruhl. The simplicity of the characters works for the film, it's all part of the almost heightened reality of motor racing, something that was conveyed excellently by the film, a true story that's in many ways as cartoonish and exciting as a lot of fantasy films. It was a sci-fi melodrama from the real world, and I loved that aspect of it.

Rush is a close contender for film of the year for me. Sure, the leads were stock characters, but that's the currency of blockbuster cinema, they were really well written and played excellently by Hemsworth and Bruhl. The simplicity of the characters works for the film, it's all part of the almost heightened reality of motor racing, something that was conveyed excellently by the film, a true story that's in many ways as cartoonish and exciting as a lot of fantasy films. It was a sci-fi melodrama from the real world, and I loved that aspect of it.

I've seen better films in 2013 but I did enjoy Rush a lot. Very good for a sports film too. I'm sad that Bruhl isn't getting a lot more recognition for it this award season though; pulled off an outstanding performance. Leto's Rayon was probably a little better but for awards that wasn't eligible for - eg. last night's BAFTAs - Bruhl should have walked it.

Can't believe The Wolf of Wall Street wasn't even nominated for best film last night. Infact it didn't even win a single award, whilst Captain Phillips (7/10 at most imo) walked away with 2 awards. Gravity won a shit ton, going to give it a watch later tonight. Also I still have to see 12 years a slave and Nebraska!

Captain Phillips was absolutely outstanding. Naw as good as The Wolf of Wall Street mind. And Tom Hanks not getting a nomination ahead of every single one of the Best Actor nominees is probably the biggest travesty of the lot.

Not the biggest Tom Hanks fan, but he deserved a nomination just for those last few minutes

Watched Lone Survivor last night. Really enjoyed it. The "Bro" levels were quite high in it, but overall I thought it was really well done. For once I disagreed with kermode's analysis of a movie. I thought it succeeded in its telling of the story. I dont know how accurate it was with the actual events on that hill, but they were some tough motherlovers to go through what they did in the movie.

7.5/10 for me.

I saw The Lego Movie with my baby brothers over the weekend and it's pretty good, it's not dumbed down for kids and it's a lot of fun.

Yeah I saw that with my 19 year old son. I quite enjoyed the satire, especially working in corporatedom which they were taking a pop at, it could have been written by a colleague! My husband hated it though, he tried his best to sleep through it.

Only God Forgives ( 2013 )

What is it with directors ripping off a complete style of an older director? This time, it's David Lynch that gets pretty much cloned for this one. Can think of worse directors to emulate though, and this is a pretty decent job. But like many Lynch movies, Refn opts more for style rather than substance for so much of the movie, which makes the movie very watchable, but also makes it pretty dull a lot of the time. I can lean the thumbs up for this because it's very watchable, but it's not without major flaws.

6/10

To be fair, I think the marketing really made it no secret what OGF was to be like so I was a bit annoyed at the 'what was that?' reaction it garnered upon release. It would have benefitted if the original actor (I forget who) hadn't dropped out and been replaced by Gosling. I don't think it even comes close to as mindbending as Lynch (I wish it did) but I can understand comparisons, and it's probably why I loved the film.

To be fair, I think the marketing really made it no secret what OGF was to be like so I was a bit annoyed at the 'what was that?' reaction it garnered upon release. It would have benefitted if the original actor (I forget who) hadn't dropped out and been replaced by Gosling. I don't think it even comes close to as mindbending as Lynch (I wish it did) but I can understand comparisons, and it's probably why I loved the film.

Rubbish, I was in the cinema and the pre-movie trailer for Only God Forgives made it seem like a completely different movie to what it actually was.

As for the film, looks great but the pacing was terrible.

Only God Forgives trailer made me think it would be a completely different from what it was

Also with it being the next film after drive and Gosling playing lead again I think a lot of people thought it was for the same target audience and hoped it would be similar to Drive. I thought it was a good film but not for everyone.

Edit: Original post made no sense as was typing quickly on my phone.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

I dont get all the gushing on twitter about Ramis tbh. Yeah Ghostbusters was great, and so was Groundhog Day, but I doubt many people (myself included) could name much else he was involved in. Its sad when anyone dies, but its not affecting anyone outside of his immediate family and friends.