Paul Simon?

Guest Roonwilldo

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article says:-

"eFestivals understands that .... Paul Simon will be making a rare appearance at this year's Glastonbury Festival."

It says that because it's not a guess or an assumption. We've had what should be solid information that he's playing.

The article also says:-

"We do not know yet which day or slot he will appear on"

It says that because we've been led to understand that, as yet, he's not been assigned a day or slot. I personally think that the oldie slot is quite likely, but it's not the only possibility.

Edited by jimmyt

As I've admitted offline to Ollan I was a little cranky this morning. I stand over certain aspects of what I said but I wouldnt be averse to checking Paul out when he plays. I'll be dragged along by the other stiffs I'm with who are all pretty keen.But focussing on Abba for a second. There is a catholic mastery of the pop single in their discog that is only matched by The Beatles. I neednt go through the list here but theirs is an enviable list of hit after hit. All paper thin pop but whats wrong with that?

Abba at Glasto would have been historic simply due to the paucity of live appearances theyve made. Paul Simon has played at the opening of a box of tictacs.

50 Ways

Robinson

Boxer

Silence

Graceland (Yuck)

Al

Diamonds

Still Crazy

Troubled Water

Theyre the ones I'm v familiar with. The S&G stuff when performed together is compelling and dramatic. Without it is like Van Halen without Lee Roth. Just not exciting.

Thanks dude. Youre a treat to read on here aswell. Wish I had your guts / experience with live shows. Thinking of SXSW next March in the fallow year. ;)

Very very good booking..Surely the legends slot Sunday afternoon...

Jesus - the idea of standing in the afternoon sun, my arm around my best friends and family, a fresh, cold pint in my hand, whilst the line 'losing love is like a window in your heart, when everybody sees your blown apart', floating over the Pyramid field with a cool breeze..

Hairs are standing on my arms as I write this..

I feel I have to post on this topic for the simple reason that I fear some people (ok young(er) people) may not fully appreciate what PS on the main stage means. I grew up, like may of a certain age on this forum, listening to PS, Art and particulalry S and G. They are the soundtrack to my life. Now I'm sure many young people (and older) will claim the same about Muse, or Blur, or the other mediocre bands I can't even bring myself to type (U... and O...). They would be wrong. I consider myself very lucky to have seen not only PS and AG solo shows, but S and G together. I was also lucky enough to be in New York to catch The Capeman on stage! It ran for a very short time and was much derided. How was it? Well, it had some of PS's best songs (and I don't say that lightly) and it starred Ruben Blades. What do you think! Anyway, the upshot of this is quite simply, PS is without a doubt the most consistant composer alive and the only person who could even challenge his catalouge is Macca. His musicianship is stunning - try and find a clip of the solo acoustic version of Father and Daughter he did on his last tour. If you only know Graceland then you are scraping the surface. This is not going to be a N Diamond show. (BTW - I have seen ND before the GB show and even as a fan I admit at GB the sound and atmosphere was poor - that was not a real ND show. The same goes for CSN on main stage - give them another chance if you didn't enjoy it.)

Rant over.

Very very good booking..Surely the legends slot Sunday afternoon...

Jesus - the idea of standing in the afternoon sun, my arm around my best friends and family, a fresh, cold pint in my hand, whilst the line 'losing love is like a window in your heart, when everybody sees your blown apart', floating over the Pyramid field with a cool breeze..

Hairs are standing on my arms as I write this..