So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

No, Arcade Fire are one of my favourite bands, but cheers for making an assumption.

And your comment about them selling out arenas was a bit dramatic, they've managed to sell out one date of 9 so far. But still, that means nothing, Paramore have managed to completely sell out 3 days on their current tour of the same type venues. And the standing seems to have gone for all of them, so shall we put Paramore forward for the Pyramid headliners in 2011 then given your theory?

I'm simply saying that the last time Elbow played they played THIRD down on The Other Stage and have headlined a small-scale festival, they won't be headlining Glastonbury any time soon. Arcade Fire is a different kettle of fish. They headlined Reading and Leeds this year, one of the biggest festivals in this country, so they clearly stand more of a chance at headlining Glastonbury. Totally incomparable.

Edited by teenageriot

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Arcade Fire are one of my favourite bands, but cheers for making an assumption.

And your comment about them selling out arenas was a bit dramatic, they've managed to sell out one date of 9 so far. But still, that means nothing, Paramore have managed to completely sell out 3 days on their current tour of the same type venues. And the standing seems to have gone for all of them, so shall we put Paramore forward for the Pyramid headliners in 2011 then given your theory?

I'm simply saying that the last time Elbow played they played THIRD down on The Other Stage and have headlined a small-scale festival, they won't be headlining Glastonbury any time soon. Arcade Fire is a different kettle of fish. They headlined Reading and Leeds this year, one of the biggest festivals in this country, so they clearly stand more of a chance at headlining Glastonbury.

Talk of the devil, I normally couldn't give too sh1ts about any of the dirge that headlines Reading, but does anyone find it, I don't know, borderline offensive that a band as both popular and extraordinarily talented as the Arcade Fire have headlined that piece of shit but not Glastonbury? There's something not quite right about this and I don't like it - it feels wrong!

I do Homer. Seriously.

I saw them the last two times they played at Leeds (first being 07 when they subbed RHCP and totally blew them off the stage) and then this year when they headlined. The crowd was tiny but I didn't mind, at the very least I knew it was people who appreciated the band and all of the c**ts were watching Pendulum.

aside from the guesses that are going around, I have been given a tip by someone who is in the position to know who is playing that prince is one of the acts.

However, that source has given me wrong info previously, plus I know that his own source is one that is known to spread false info (not sure if he does so deliberately, or he's giving his own guesses cos he's not properly in the info loop).

I'm personally a very long way from being convinced that it's Prince - in fact I believe that it's not (tho realise I might be wrong). But it would be unwise for me to completely ignore what I was told.

I think you lack understanding in the history of bands that have previously headlined glastonbury. This is not V festival. Glastonbury have a history of giving bands that were not considered "headline material" by people like you a chance at the top slot. And this is part of the reason I love the festival.

No one cares enough? They are doing arena tours now, and selling out venues. Thats 20,000+ capacities.

Arcade Fire would be another band absolutely suited to headlining glastonbury, which dont fit into that clique listed above.

Or does noone care enough about them either?

Open your mind, your world is very bland and blinkered.

That hasn't been the case for many a year though, who, in the last 5 years would be considered one of those bands? Kings of Leon is the only one people seem to have mentioned and that is totally incorrect.

same thing happened with Muse - "they're not big enough to headline".

But just like with KoL it took them to another level - so much so that while not the V Fest headliner that year (it was Dido) they played after her, and have been solid headliners everywhere since Glasto gave them that opportunity.

KOL and Jay Z have both always been quite big though, Elbow have not. And are arguably stll not. I'm not denying that they probably have quite a large cult following but I just really don't think they're at all worthy of a headline slot at one of the biggest (arguably THE biggest) festival in the world. I'd say The Other Stage would be perfect for them.

And I know it's not V Festval, I wasn't born yesterday so stop being so f**king patronising, I hope it hurts when you fall off your high horse.

Both Elbow and Arcade Fire are two of my favourite bands...still don't think they are pyramid headliners though, and it has nothing to do with my own taste in music...I've wandered along to see pyramid headliners when they've had the stature of Bruce, or Stevie for example even though they don't often get a rotation on my mp3 player...whereas KOL, Killers, Arctic Monkeys etc weren't enough of a draw for me so I was off at the Jazzworld or somewhere else...I even gave Gorrillaz a miss this year as I was up at the park at Broken Bells and by the time they were finished I just wandered off to the Bootleg Beatles instead (my mates had gone to the start of Gorrillaz and given up). I think the thing about pyramid headliners with mass appeal is that that they drag in the casual punter a bit more. It doesn't really come down to whether they are worthy or not, or even whether they are class bands like Elbow or Arcade Fire, simply that bigger names are more appealing to those who aren't that pushed...my sisters for example have terrible taste in music (paid a fortune to see both Westlife and Michael bleedin' Buble over the last few months)....and even they have a Prince cd in the car.

Edited by russycarps

KOL and Jay Z have both always been quite big though, Elbow have not. And are arguably stll not. I'm not denying that they probably have quite a large cult following but I just really don't think they're at all worthy of a headline slot at one of the biggest (arguably THE biggest) festival in the world. I'd say The Other Stage would be perfect for them.

And I know it's not V Festval, I wasn't born yesterday so stop being so f**king patronising, I hope it hurts when you fall off your high horse.

this is glastonbury though. Sure we have been spoilt recenlty by having stellar names like bruce springsteen, stevie wonder, U2 etc but this is the exception, not the norm. The festival will more often than not promote "smaller" acts, purely due to budget constraints. And due to this, I can think of no better bands to step up than elbow or arcade fire (though the opportunity may have passed for them).

I think if people are expecting 3 mega star headliners every year, glastonbury isnt the right festival for them

this is glastonbury though. Sure we have been spoilt recenlty by having stellar names like bruce springsteen, stevie wonder, U2 etc but this is the exception, not the norm. The festival will more often than not promote "smaller" acts, purely due to budget constraints. And due to this, I can think of no better bands to step up than elbow or arcade fire (though the opportunity may have passed for them).

I think if people are expecting mega star headliners every year, glastonbury isnt the right festival for them

I think if people are expecting 3 mega star headliners every year, glastonbury isnt the right festival for them

I'm not trying to be a c**t and for me headliners size doesn't usually matter, such as AF this year at Readng, but I just really don't think Elbow can step up their game to become a headliner. Sure, they can be placed there, but for me they'd not have the charisma KOL had to charm the entire crowd and SHOW people they can headline one of the biggest festivals in the world.

I don't have a vendetta against Elbow at all, this is merely an opinion.

I think in 7 Glastonbury's I've seen one headliner and that was only cos a mate was adamant, so that's what? 1/21. They are utterly irrelevant to the f**king magic that is Glastonbury., whether it's Elbow, prince or Bruce Springsteen. They're a tiny tiny part of it.

Get Circus Archaos back for the night to headline, that'll really get people divided.