So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

U2 are nailed on- (was it just me that went to their main site on Sunday morning to check if there was a naughty preferenced link and saw a little article basically saying that U2 fans will now get the chance to see them at Glasto??? they are playing-no debate)

I am STONGLY of the belief that its the little purple one Eavo has been alluding to (and I will NOT be disuaded otherwise)

So who would complete the dream for you... ???

I aint got a clue but hope its someone i dont wanna see coz I hate evey night on the pyramid... :rolleyes:

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did the Prince idea come from? HAs there been any solid evidence for him next year?

aside from the guesses that are going around, I have been given a tip by someone who is in the position to know who is playing that prince is one of the acts.

However, that source has given me wrong info previously, plus I know that his own source is one that is known to spread false info (not sure if he does so deliberately, or he's giving his own guesses cos he's not properly in the info loop).

I'm personally a very long way from being convinced that it's Prince - in fact I believe that it's not (tho realise I might be wrong). But it would be unwise for me to completely ignore what I was told.

I think there's a really good chance of Prince playing. He puts on one HELL of a show too.

If he did end up playing, I'd like Winehouse to sub to him. I think she's gonna definitely play next year. New album, Eavis loves her, she loves Glastonbury and she'd be perfect subbing to Prince because he also adores her and I'd imagine they'd have the same kind of audience.

Edited by teenageriot

I think the other thing that someone mentioned the other day was that Prince had a £2million debt/lawsuit due to cancelled gig, so there was issue with any European gigs, but he played a gig at Rokslide last year and paid it off with that, so he's free to do what he wants again.

(Please note that summarising what I can remember from someone's "proper info" so feel free to correct me :lol: )

He's now got quite a few gigs in Europe at the end of this year, so I suppose in that sense he's a relatively realistic on wishlists.

I really hope it is Prince, but just waiting for ticket day to find out. I've got a feeling I'm not going to be that hyped for any headliners, but will see what happens.

Someone who has been relavent in the past ten years would be good. Having three has-beens would be a little overkill.

This is precisely why I don't think it'll Prince - he's simply not relevant as headliner material nowadays for a festival like Glastonbury IMO.

Yes, he can sell out endless gigs to his own fans, but that's something entirely different. Bon Jovi can do that too, but few would say they'd be in the running to headline.

My take is that next year's headliners are very probably acts that were around the festival this year - which doesn't include Price of course.

The one thing that I reckon might put Prince in the running is that Glasto might have approached him again about the Sunday slot for this year, which Stevie Wonder took in the end. But if they had done that, I'd have thought he'd have played this year rather than turn round and say "no, but I'll do it next year".

Glasto have asked him countless times in the past and always been turned down (I presume because of the small money on offer), and I believe that just like with U2, they'd given up. But unlike U2, Prince wasn't saying "we will do it one day, promise".

Normally hate the unsubstantiated "I heard from a friend of a friend" type posts, however ........ A very good friend of mine has lots of relatives that live around Glastonbury/Shepton area. His aunt lives extremely close to Michael and he told her last week that Prince is headlining Sunday night.

Normally hate the unsubstantiated "I heard from a friend of a friend" type posts, however ........ A very good friend of mine has lots of relatives that live around Glastonbury/Shepton area. His aunt lives extremely close to Michael and he told her last week that Prince is headlining Sunday night.

Thanks, but.... I hear these sorts of stories every year, and in 90%+ cases they prove themselves as not true.

It's certainly the case that the quality of rumours that float around Pilton (which is more likely to know than a wider Glasto/Shepton area) is generally poor - and wrong.

Then again, because those rumours are generally of acts that can be considered as being in the running at some level, sometimes those rumours are going to be right. The guesses and the reality are going to match sometimes.

I don't think that Stevie can be put in the same category as Prince though to be honest. The back catalogue alone being a case in point. I've been around since Prince started out and I'd still struggle to name 10 songs which to me would say he wouldn't really cut it as a headliner.

Now I know that this is just my personal opinion but would it be a fair assumption?

Good one for his fans though.

I don't think that Stevie can be put in the same category as Prince though to be honest. The back catalogue alone being a case in point. I've been around since Prince started out and I'd still struggle to name 10 songs which to me would say he wouldn't really cut it as a headliner.

Now I know that this is just my personal opinion but would it be a fair assumption?

I'd agree - Stevie (and other older headliners there's been) have a much higher regarded back-catalogue than Prince. Prince has a bunch of hits (big ones, I admit) and a couple of big selling albums, but not really a lot else aside for those who are mega-fans. Acts like Stevie encompass a lot more of the popular music scene than Prince has managed.

That's not saying that Prince isn't a great headline act from some angles, but I just don't see him as having the same relevance.

aside from the guesses that are going around, I have been given a tip by someone who is in the position to know who is playing that prince is one of the acts.

However, that source has given me wrong info previously, plus I know that his own source is one that is known to spread false info (not sure if he does so deliberately, or he's giving his own guesses cos he's not properly in the info loop).

I'm personally a very long way from being convinced that it's Prince - in fact I believe that it's not (tho realise I might be wrong). But it would be unwise for me to completely ignore what I was told.