So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

I'm not trying to be a c**t and for me headliners size doesn't usually matter, such as AF this year at Readng, but I just really don't think Elbow can step up their game to become a headliner. Sure, they can be placed there, but for me they'd not have the charisma KOL had to charm the entire crowd and SHOW people they can headline one of the biggest festivals in the world.

I don't have a vendetta against Elbow at all, this is merely an opinion.

Edited by Lynne Scratch Perry

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I've not got much room to comment on their live shows as I've never been interested enough to attend one, but it's just the impression I get.

For me I just think Elbow will remain where they've been for the last two years when they won the Mercury prize. They've not gotten any bigger since then and for me I just seem to think they'll just do nothing but fade out, this is also why I don't think they'd be a good scoop for headliner. With KoL, they've seemed to just grow with each album release, and I think that's one of the things which Michael saw in them.

Also to whoever posted about KoL's performance at Glastonbury paved the way for other festivals to get them, I disagree whole heartedly. Are you not forgetting that 2 months after they played Glastonbury, they released Only By The Night? An album which absolutely annihilated the charts and as a result pushed KoL to become one of the biggest bands in the world? Their performance at Glastonbury had no influence what so ever on their popularity as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by teenageriot

I'm not trying to be a c**t and for me headliners size doesn't usually matter, such as AF this year at Readng, but I just really don't think Elbow can step up their game to become a headliner. Sure, they can be placed there, but for me they'd not have the charisma KOL had to charm the entire crowd and SHOW people they can headline one of the biggest festivals in the world.

I suppose I've not got much room to comment on their live shows as I've never been interested enough to attend one, but it's just the impression I get.

For me I just think Elbow will remain where they've been for the last two years when they won the Mercury prize. They've not gotten any bigger since then and for me I just seem to think they'll just do nothing but fade out, this is also why I don't think they'd be a good scoop for headliner.

To be fair, I'd say they've gotten quite a bit bigger since...when SSK was released they had far less of a following than they do now. Their set at the other stage was fairly epic and they haven't released anything new since....next album is due out early next year, so that will let u know hoe much bigger they've become...hard to judge yet as they didn't flog the last album to death and tour it for too long (they could easily have played it again in '09 and '10). Smart move I think.

For me I just think Elbow will remain where they've been for the last two years when they won the Mercury prize. They've not gotten any bigger since then and for me I just seem to think they'll just do nothing but fade out, this is also why I don't think they'd be a good scoop for headliner. With KoL, they've seemed to just grow with each album release, and I think that's one of the things which Michael saw in them.

Also to whoever posted about KoL's performance at Glastonbury paved the way for other festivals to get them, I disagree whole heartedly. Are you not forgetting that 2 months after they played Glastonbury, they released Only By The Night? An album which absolutely annihilated the charts and as a result pushed KoL to become one of the biggest bands in the world? Their performance at Glastonbury had no influence what so ever on their popularity as far as I'm concerned.

i'm amazed people on this thread think prince isn't that interesting to people in this country, considering he recently sold out a record 21 nights in the 20,000-capacity o2 dome. he's an amazing performer with a whopping string of hits, lots of talent, he sings well live and shreds on the guitar, switches his style up and dances well too, so i think he'd be perfect for saturday on the main stage.

as for kylie's massive cheer during scissor sisters, i assumed that had a lot to do with how dreary the band were in comparison... (not that i've anything against her really)

one year there was a special guest for headliner on the saturday night and rumour was that it was prince . elvis costello was 2nd from top doing an acoustic set when the finished the screen went up behind him and the attractions were there . so that was the headliner alot of people were disappointed

I've watched videos of them before, as I say it was the impression I got, I'm not running about with it as it's fact. And where did I mention the charts? I've basically just said they don't seem to have got any bigger in terms of fan base as far as I can tell, there was no indication there that I was talking about charts.

And yes. Yes they have, but it was obviously a rookie error as the tickets hardly seem to be shifting and they're therefore punching way above their weight. It's a sad thing when Paramore are shifting more tickets than you on an identical tour (well, with two more dates), but hey ho.

You f**king douchebag. Offence intended.

I've watched videos of them before, as I say it was the impression I got, I'm not running about with it as it's fact. And where did I mention the charts? I've basically just said they don't seem to have got any bigger in terms of fan base as far as I can tell, there was no indication there that I was talking about charts.

And yes. Yes they have, but it was obviously a rookie error as the tickets hardly seem to be shifting and they're therefore punching way above their weight. It's a sad thing when Paramore are shifting more tickets than you on an identical tour (well, with two more dates), but hey ho.

You f**king douchebag. Offence intended.

KOL and Jay Z have both always been quite big though, Elbow have not. And are arguably stll not. I'm not denying that they probably have quite a large cult following but I just really don't think they're at all worthy of a headline slot at one of the biggest (arguably THE biggest) festival in the world. I'd say The Other Stage would be perfect for them.

And I know it's not V Festval, I wasn't born yesterday so stop being so f**king patronising, I hope it hurts when you fall off your high horse.

KOL were the same size when they were announced as headliners as Elbow are right now. :rolleyes:

KOL certainly weren't considered big enough when they were announced as headliners, as the response to the announcement clearly showed.

they'd not have the charisma KOL had to charm the entire crowd and SHOW people they can headline one of the biggest festivals in the world.

A laughable one, unfortunately for you. :P

KoL are about the most uncharismatic band on the planet, having seen them many times.

And their Glasto performance was generally thought of as dire, one of the worst headliners Glastonbury has had in recent times.

Also to whoever posted about KoL's performance at Glastonbury paved the way for other festivals to get them, I disagree whole heartedly.

yet the facts get to show that no one thought of them as headliners until after they'd been announced to headline Glastonbury. :rolleyes:

And the facts get to show at the point they were announced, people felt they weren't worthy to be headliners.

Funny thing about mentioning bands like Coldplay, Radiohead, Muse, KOL as now being big enough to headline is the identity if the festival that gave them their first headlining slot (see also Oasis, White Stripes). Glastonbury has a history of promoting bands to that stature and if someone's good enough, put them on. R/L beat them to the punch with Arcade Fire and that shouldn't happen again, plus how else can an act get to be regarded as a headliner?

i'm amazed people on this thread think prince isn't that interesting to people in this country, considering he recently sold out a record 21 nights in the 20,000-capacity o2 dome.

yet around half of those tickets went to overseas buyers, as I've already said.

So that makes him half as big in the UK as you were thinking when you posted those words.

Guests always get big cheers though dont they? because its an exciting moment when they walk on stage. I bet her cheer with the scissor sisters would be louder than the cheer she'd get when she first walked on stage for her own solo slot (if she had one). It's always the way.

Besides, I reckon the edge got a louder cheer when he came on with muse

(not that I saw either acts)

So he only sold out ten nights in the UK to UK punters?

Small fry.

I'm not saying it's small, but it does make him 50% smaller than the assumptions people are making from that run at the o2.

Plus, for an act of his cult status that hadn't played the UK in a long time (or anywhere else - hence the overseas demand), it's far easier to sell those shows.