So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

well I'll put my hand up to Prince being one of my guilty pleasures, so I'd be well happy to see him there on the sunday. I went to one of the O2 gigs and they were the canines plums. And if he does play the oldies, I will defy anyone listening not to get serious chills when the opening riff of Purple rain starts up....I can already see it in my head and I reckon odds-on it would be a glasto classic. Even some of the more obscure stuff from the b-sides album is worth a listen or two!!

(OT, did anyone catch the empire of the sun gig up at the park this year and agree that they had a definite NPG quality to some of their songs?)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it wasn't like that round my way...

maybe you know some odd serious music fans

lots of people I knew then were totally into his albums. Sign O The Times, Lovesexy, Purple Rain, Lovesexy, Parade... and more... all drop dead great albums, then as well as now

Parade: #4

Around the World in a Day: #5

Purple Rain; #7

Sign of the Time: #4

Lovesexy: #1

They're his biggest selling UK albums, and the fact that most were a fair way off #1 for that time shows them as not great sellers to the sorts who considered themselves 'serious about music' who bought nearly all of the albums sold at around that time.

Prince is f**king ace. seriously good. and I can't believe people don't think he's big enough. Ask around, chat to the men/women you work with or whatever, find out who more people have heard of, Prince or Kasabian. f**king hell.

Prince is one of the biggest names, most recognisable names in music, really, regardless of whether you like him.

After being to countless gigs and festivals and being fortunate enough to see prince twice I can confirm that he is the greatest live act on the planet whether you know all the songs or not. It is like going to see a mixture of James brown, stevie wonder and Jimi Hendrix all in one very tiny man.

Regarding him headlining I have no info for next year but as I mentioned in the summer he was in the running to replace u2 after his people made contact with Glastonbury. He was turned down due to the similarities between him and stevie. My source is an employee who would have no reason to tell a porky and no they were not a litter picker.

Kiss, Let's Go Crazy, Creem, Get Off, Nothing Compares To You, Purple Rain, 1999, Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Parade, Diamonds and Pearls, Alphabet Street...

just off the top of my head

I don't think he's as good as Stevie (he hasn't got the heart and soul... for me).. but he has to be headliner status

:huh:

Prince is one of the biggest names, most recognisable names in music, really, regardless of whether you like him.

And Westlife are better known than Prince. Being known isn't the headliner criteria. Relevance is.

And while I'm not saying he's irrelevant, I just don't don't see him as getting close to the relevance of other older headliners that Glastonbury has had in recent years.

Prince is f**king ace. seriously good. and I can't believe people don't think he's big enough. Ask around, chat to the men/women you work with or whatever, find out who more people have heard of, Prince or Kasabian. f**king hell.

And Westlife are better known than Prince. Being known isn't the headliner criteria. Relevance is.

And while I'm not saying he's irrelevant, I just don't don't see him as getting close to the relevance of other older headliners that Glastonbury has had in recent years.

What I was saying is that I don't think he would appeal to the broad masses in the same way that Stevie did because outside of his own fanbase there doesn't seem to be a great knowledge of many of his hits.

I'd disagree with that, and say that his hits are well known to most people.

But there's far fewer of them - not enough for a whole show - compared to Stevie (tho of course Stevie has an extreme amount), and along with that Prince's non-singles stuff would be unfamiliar to most.

I think that for most of today's Glasto audience Prince is not really any better known than plenty of other mostly forgotten 80s acts that had a string of hits.

Let's get this right...

"Prince is one of the biggest names, most recognisable names in music"

And you'd be mad keen to see Prince.

Yet you didn't have any of his music on your iPod?

But there's far fewer of them - not enough for a whole show - compared to Stevie (tho of course Stevie has an extreme amount), and along with that Prince's non-singles stuff would be unfamiliar to most.

I think that for most of today's Glasto audience Prince is not really any better known than plenty of other mostly forgotten 80s acts that had a string of hits.

Edited by Lynne Scratch Perry

Being serious for a minute. I see this as similar to the issue with Bruce Springsteen.

His music is adored by his droves of fans (same as Prince). Like the wee purple one, he is a megastar back in the States.

They are also similar in the fact that there are great swathes of apathy to them over here. Mingled in amongst that apathy, as we've seen, are huge fans.

Also like the Boss, if Prince is announced, there will be much grumbling and counter-whooping.

What is certain is (again, similar to the Boss' appearance) a lot of Prince's songs will have fallen under the radar of all but the most sincere of fans.

Yep, I agree with all of that except .....

Prince doesn't get anywhere close to the stature of Bruce. He's big, but nowhere near that big.

(PS: am loving your username :D ... tune into the efests reggae/ska show on Fridays from 3pm :)).

Yeah I think I worded that wrong and should have typed 'songs' instead of 'hits'

I was actually trying to make that exact point in my first post in that for most 'non fans' there simply isn't enough 'hits' to keep them going for the whole set.

However you could probably say the same about 'non fans' of any act that was on the stage.

The thing with Stevie is that his back catalogue is that big even people who aren't fans will still know just about every song that he played. That's what made him a perfect headliner.

bloomin' ekkkers... i started summit here... i just popped off to a bit of work after posting this and have come back to a torrent...

i have had a quick read thru and cant even begin to believe there is part of glasto society thinking PRINCE (yes PRINCE ROGERS NELSON!!!!) is not suitable headliner material or status.!!!!

Dontcha know your moooosical history efesters..!!!

If he plays, it will be one of the best sets ever on the pyramid.. those saying they cant recall 10 songs will be dancing their tiny minds and butts off to songs they forgot they loved... the ONLY doubt in my mind is if he does a set of fan pleasers rather than the hits.. which he wouldn't cos he's a star and got their by knowing what people want...

in that way, it's very similar to Stevie Wonder this year. Lots of people not being too sure about him headlining, but understanding why afterwards...

Prince won't leave you with such a warm glow (that lasted for days for me) as Stevie did

not sure if anyone could ;)

Here is his Roskilde setlist

That would do for me, and I think people would know "most" of that set, or at least know enough to keep their interest :)

1. Let's Go Crazy

2. Delirious

3. 1999

4. Little Red Corvette

5. I Like Funky Music

6. Controversy

7. Sexy Dancer

8. Le Freak (Chic cover)

9. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

10. Take Me With U

11. Guitar

12. Angel (Sarah McLachlan cover)

13. Lean On Me (Bill Withers cover)

14. Nothing Compares 2 U

15. Purple Rain

16. Mountains

17. Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) (Jackson 5 cover)

18. Everyday People (Sly & The Family Stone cover)

19. I Want To Take You Higher (Sly & The Family Stone cover)

20. Kiss

21. Dance (Disco Heat) (Sylvester cover)