So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

i think what people are missing out here is what we actually go to festivals for. Yeah its brilliant to go to a festival where you know all the bands and all the music, but it never happens. if prince is a good/crap headliner is opinion, he would have to perform for it to be an argument in my eyes.

i remember the first time i saw iron maiden at the first download. i only knew one song, but i went to see them and they blew me away. i couldnt believe the songs and the show. now years later i'm a massive fan.

discovering bands/artists at whatever level on the bill of a festival, and discovering new music it something everymusic fan loves.

Basically, if it is prince then i'm sure he will put on a great show and would definalty be worth a watch. I really wouldn;t be supirsed if Coldplay showed up though

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is his Roskilde setlist

That would do for me, and I think people would know "most" of that set, or at least know enough to keep their interest :)

normally i wouldnt haev been all that fussed over prince but i really enjoyed his superbowl show a few years back alot rockier/bluesier than i thought it would be,i kind of expeted disco plink plonky and as its a constant rumor for Glasto thought that he would be pretty good headliner off the back of what i just saw, bit cheesy but i like a bit o cheese. same kind of went for bruce, except i liked him anyway i just loved the cheesy power slide into the camera...

Let me see if i can find a video of princes halftime show. see what you think

Edited by Chazeboy

Glasto headliners need to be a grade above in my opinion. So much as I love the idea of Elbow, and will see them anywhere they play in Glasto above almost anyone else, I don't think they are headliners. Prince - yes. U2 - yes. Coldplay - yes. Radiohead - yes.

Wow, at risk of offending a mod in only my first week on this site, you are outting a hell of a lot of poor arguments out there to back up a point you are simply wrong on.

Westlife? Where do you get that from? Better known where? In the world? Amongst Glasto fans? I don't think so. It really seems to be that you must have grown up late 90s and had your only experience of Prince as being Glitter and Gold or whatever that cheesy-ass song was.

Prince = legend, and legendary shows. 30 nights sold out at 02. Headlined the Sunday at Roskilde. Easily big enough. No questions.

And that is not coming from a Prince fanboy. Likelihood is that I won't see him. But I probably wouldn't have gone to see Stevie last year had I got tickets either...

Yep, Westlife are far better known that Prince is in this country. A very sad fact of life, but a fact all the same.

I grew up in the late 70s actually :lol: .... so I lived thru Prince's 'big' time, so am well aware that his appeal was mostly to pop fans at that time.

Prince is of course more suitable to the Glasto crowd than Westlife from the angle of credibility, but it's still the case that the majority of people at Glasto are more 'pop' than 'credibile' - as demonstrated by Kylie last year, as demonstrated by the acts that get the biggest crowds.

The o2 shows were sold to a worldwide audience - and it took Prince fans from all around the world to fill those shows. Obsessive fans for any act are a very different beast to the Glastonbury audience.

From one angle I know that Prince is easily big enough to headline - but I still think it's the case that he's not an act that the Glasto audience are clammering for. He'd of course get a big crowd, but on the basis that he's the headliner - people would go to check him out because of that, not particularly because they're madly keen to see Prince (much as was the case with Neil Young and Bruce for a very large proportion of those crowds).

I reckon there's tens (if not hundreds) of bands that the majority of Glasto goers would see as better and more relevant headliners than Prince.

Yes I was at Roskilde. Indeed, I did not see him (long story why). No, your understanding is incorrect, he headlined the Sunday night at the festival as such.

Thursday: Them Crooked Vultures

Friday: Gorillaz

Saturday: Muse/Prodigy

Sunday: Prince

I've heard the Prince performance was great though.

Fair play, I remember looking into it and thought that there was something about him just playing the venue and actually not being part of the festival but obviously wrong. Actually looking at the dates, maybe it was another of the European festivals where he played a week afterwards, as I'm sure that's too close to Glasto for me to have been considering.

Glasto headliners need to be a grade above in my opinion. So much as I love the idea of Elbow, and will see them anywhere they play in Glasto above almost anyone else, I don't think they are headliners. Prince - yes. U2 - yes. Coldplay - yes. Radiohead - yes.

It's nothing to do with who I want to see. It's just a fact and one that shouldn't change - we need big names, respected worldside, for those Pyramid gigs. And we can go and see all our amazing favourites at OTher/Park etc.

Elbow could never headline Glastonbury, no one cares enough. At the very least when KoL headlined they'd already had a massive following and BOTT did extremely well when it was released, which is where most of their fanbase probably latched on.

Elbow headlined Bestival last year for God's sake, that's probably the equivalent of an Other Stage headliner at the very most (see: Prodigy, Flaming Lips, Massive Attack)

Edited by teenageriot

Completely disagree with this. The good thing about glasto is that they do give the "smaller" bands a shot at the headline slot. Eg kings of leon, pulp etc.

It would be very very very boring if only bands of the type you mention were deemed worthy of headline status.

Elbow would be a fantastic headliner. They have songs that are much more epic than anything coldplay has got. Tower Crane Driver for example is more soaring than any of chris martins efforts. I just dotn get why people dont think elbow would be suited to the pryamid. I saw them at wembley arena and they nailed it. They are playing o2 next year and will nail that too. They have the back catalogue for it now, and will have another album by next june.

Elbow could never headline Glastonbury, no one cares enough. At the very least when KoL headlined they'd already had a massive following and BOTT did extremely well when it was released, which is where most of their fanbase probably latched on.

Elbow headlined Bestival last year for God's sake, that's probably the equivalent of an Other Stage headliner at the very most (see: Prodigy, Flaming Lips, Massive Attack)

No one cares enough? They are doing arena tours now, and selling out venues. Thats 20,000+ capacities.

Arcade Fire would be another band absolutely suited to headlining glastonbury, which dont fit into that clique listed above.

Or does noone care enough about them either?

Open your mind, your world is very bland and blinkered.

Someone has to give bands the chance to make the step up to being major headliners. If your attitude was fixed into bookiungs then no new band would ever get to that stage.

When Glastonbury announced KoL as headliner, the response was mainly "wtf? They're not headliner standard". Yet it was Glastonbury giving them that opportunity which made them headliners for all the festivals they've headlined since.