So it's U2- Fri, Prince- Sunday...

Guest cheekycheeky

don't people go to Glastonbury from outside the uk??

of course they do, but a tiny proportion compared to the numbers from overseas that Prince got to the UK.

I was amazed he sold out so many shows, especially as he hasn't been for for a while, or had any hits of much significance. For most artists in that position, they'd struggle to sell half as many shows...

yep - but that's the power of cult status to those in the cult.

anyway, this is all a bit pointless. You don't think he's up to much, not much more than being an ex 80's 2 album wonder, which I think is quite odd

I said nothing like that at all. :rolleyes:

I said he's little more relevant to today's Glastonbury audience than other 80s pop hits acts.

f**k me you really love re-inventing everything I say, don't you? Perhaps I should feel flattered at the attention. ;)

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can believe it. By all accounts they had a small crowd at reading too didnt they and lots of people left halfway? (this is just what I have heard, I wasnt there). People are idiots.

But now they have headlined a major uk festival, I cant see them ever going back to the other stage of glastonbury.

edit: what is the capacity at madison just out of curiosity? Is it bigger than the o2 I wonder?

Someone has to give bands the chance to make the step up to being major headliners. If your attitude was fixed into bookiungs then no new band would ever get to that stage.

When Glastonbury announced KoL as headliner, the response was mainly "wtf? They're not headliner standard". Yet it was Glastonbury giving them that opportunity which made them headliners for all the festivals they've headlined since.

I'm not sure how to feel about what Coyne said. I saw an interview with AF about it and they seemed genuinely perplexed and surprised about it. It certainly took some of the gloss of my love for Arcade Fire for a while but it could easily be a falling out/personality clash rather than what Coyne said being true.

Kings of Leon have been a major force over here since Aha Shake came out in 2005, they played arenas and the like in 2007 and BOTT was number one in the album chart for two weeks.

Elbow have worked very slowly through the ranks and were finally given a bit of a break with the Mercury, and yes, they are a pretty big band, but you cannot compare bands simply through how many tickets they can sell. Kings of Leon have a lot of very popular songs on every single one of their records, whereas Elbow's fanbase is far more cult. SSK has a few 'big' songs but they don't really have a song they would get scalped for not playing. That was true to some extent with KOL in 2008 but the likes of Charmer, The Bucket, Taper Jean Girl and On Call got a big amount of radio play.

Elbow also will not continue to grow; they'll probably stay as a 'safe' subheadliner for most festivals for a couple of years before the public completely forgets about them and they return to pre-SSK stature.

Arcade Fire are completely world renound now, more so than ever. They would have to headline. They fully justified their credentials at Leeds this year, but unfortunately the Leeds and Reading crowd is tragic these days.

Elbow simply will not headline, whether they deserve to or not is irrelevant.

Teenager? I'm 20 x

Also I'm definitely not sure KoL were the same size as Elbow AT ALL, they subbed at Reading and played high up at T/Oxegen previous to headlining Glastonbury.. KoL have and will always be a much bigger band than Elbow, not necessarily better, but bigger for sure. There's no point in you all crying about it because it makes it no less true.

And there's too much contradiction in here for me to even get my head around, one minute people are saying KoL weren't charismatic and completely had the crowd feeding from the palm of their hand, and the next minute they're saying they showed other festivals that they could headline a huge festival.. therefore other festivals wanted them to play.. so which one is it?

Jesus christ I've never came across a bigger bunch of buffoons in my entire life.