Weather thread 2010

Guest remote

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surf forecasting is easy. Magic Seaweed look at weather and swell data and then bump up the star rating if it's a bank holiday to keep the sponsors happy.

If you're from round my way then Eyeball Surfcheck take a look at the conditions and if it's really bad tell you you go to Putsborough for an even cleaner wave even though everyone knows it will be rubbish.

Simples.

this is my 4th glastonbury.. some sunny, some rainy...and after much reading this is my 1st posting

i therefore demand the magical properties of a first posting(what?) be bestowed open ensuring a dry and sunny glastonbury 2010

magical spell commenceth...BZZZZ PEOOOOOOOOOOWW*** %%$$$((**nnnn...phew..

that'll def work... ;)

this is my 4th glastonbury.. some sunny, some rainy...and after much reading this is my 1st posting

i therefore demand the magical properties of a first posting(what?) be bestowed open ensuring a dry and sunny glastonbury 2010

magical spell commenceth...BZZZZ PEOOOOOOOOOOWW*** %%$$$((**nnnn...phew..

that'll def work... ;)

I might be way off the mark here but if I was JACKONE, I'd appreciate it if people would link to my post rather than/as well as copying the text from it. I know it's possible to find the post if you know your way around the Netweather forums but it's much easier if you've got a direct link. I also expect that the link has been posted somewhere in this thread but it's getting kinda long now.

I guess I need to include the link in this post now: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62625-gla...ost__p__1826746

Edited by gizmoman

I'm off for a few hours. The GFS 12z run is coming through (currently predicting out to this Sunday). If anyone is bothered and wants to let people know then take a look here.

Click on Select Chart Type and pick Height 500hpa & SLP and you could also check UK Precipitation. Then click on the numbers. The festival is in the 300's and it will put the date and time at the top of the map.

As an aside and as it's been a weather-geeky day, 500hpa is the height of 500mb. In layman's terms (and I am a layman) it gives an idea of what's going on in the troposphere (where the lack of clouds will be). What we want is red or orange. For pressure we want to be at the top of a hill, not the bottom of a valley.

If someone could combine all this stuff and then tell us it won't rain, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Thanks to Devonhammer and everyone for the explanations and links to this for the laymen amongst us, very interesting indeed, I'm now an expert on all things metereological, and can now talk technically about it: B)

Using Devonhammer's link above and clicking the 300s to change the date, it all now hinges on that big green blob lurking over the UK over the festival period, if the green blob decides to go and sit somewhere else and the red swirly bit moves up from Europe instead of staying where the model saying it will, we should be ok. :)

Is this remotely near the truth, if it is it makes it quite exciting to check each update and see where the green and the reds are changing direction to?

Thanks to Devonhammer and everyone for the explanations and links to this for the laymen amongst us, very interesting indeed, I'm now an expert on all things metereological, and can now talk technically about it: B)

Using Devonhammer's link above and clicking the 300s to change the date, it all now hinges on that big green blob lurking over the UK over the festival period, if the green blob decides to go and sit somewhere else and the red swirly bit moves up from Europe instead of staying where the model saying it will, we should be ok. :)

Is this remotely near the truth, if it is it makes it quite exciting to check each update and see where the green and the reds are changing direction to?

Edited by jezzer