Primavera 2018

Runnerups

19 hours ago, Nesser said:

Guys, he especifically mentions they're having a lil issues with "the smallest bands" so this delay is not for Jack White or Morrissey, at least at this point. My two cents: Brockhampton, tho obviously is almost impossible to guess which band is going to be the last one to be added to the line-up.

And btw, the headliners I was told a few weeks ago didn't include Jack White. I don't know if I will be right but that's what I know.

Without mentioning names, are there any surprises? Seems like it could be the most predictable PS line up at the top end in years to me.

9 hours ago, D-Low said:

Anyone able to give me some pointers to accommodation? Ticket and flight bought but struggling with where to stay. Stuck between airbnb and hotels but both coming up quite expensive for the week, and also best locations. Thanks.

I've stayed in the Poble Nou area the last 2 years at the Holiday in Express 22 - it's within walking distance of Parc Del Forum - booked with a ticket at hotel through Primavera and was surprisingly cheap.  That offer doesn't seem to be on this year so we are at Hotel 4 Barcelona. works out at £50 a night for the room.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years now to get all the inside info, so thought it's about time to get involved, and to be honest, I'm racking my brains to think who'll play this year. I've got a list of of obvious/ likely acts, but for me apart from Bjork there aren't any "headliner" worthy names that have been bounced around. Not that I'm particularly on the look out for big names, but The National don't whet the appetite too much...

Also, in regards to Mad Cool, do they and PS share acts? At The Drive in, BRMC, QOTSA and potentially NIN all seem like a good fit to me, but maybe too big to do the double (Future Islands and Real Estate have got to be a dead cert to do both for example)... I guess Primavera are getting a series of bespoke headliners this year, which would make sense about the Arctic Monkeys?

My only concern regarding what I've been told is that I have no way to check my info. I don't mind saying that Nick Cave and The National are headlining two of the days because it's pretty clear they're playing but the last one is a bit of a strecht cause they're touring Europe in 2018 and seems like a long shot but kind of makes sense too so the best thing we can do is to sit down and wait.

Besides the three names, I found quite interesting that Björk wasn't mentioned. I thought she would end up headlining Sonar since she did a dj set/one-off performance last year but I can't see her now that Gorillaz and LCD are playing. Therefore, she may play Primavera as #2, not as a headliner.

33 minutes ago, boaboaboa said:

I've been lurking on this forum for a few years now to get all the inside info, so thought it's about time to get involved, and to be honest, I'm racking my brains to think who'll play this year. I've got a list of of obvious/ likely acts, but for me apart from Bjork there aren't any "headliner" worthy names that have been bounced around. Not that I'm particularly on the look out for big names, but The National don't whet the appetite too much...

Also, in regards to Mad Cool, do they and PS share acts? At The Drive in, BRMC, QOTSA and potentially NIN all seem like a good fit to me, but maybe too big to do the double (Future Islands and Real Estate have got to be a dead cert to do both for example)... I guess Primavera are getting a series of bespoke headliners this year, which would make sense about the Arctic Monkeys?

According to the last livestream, Artic Monkeys are ruled out.

In some kind of ways, the headliners seems to be predictable... Björk, Beck, The National and Nick Cave seem very likely.

Lorde could be set to attract the younger crowd, as Kendrick Lamar seem unlikely too?

On a personal note, i wish Fever Ray, Bicep, At The Drive-In, Justice and Brand New woul be added.

I still have hopes for a big surprising act like, Vampire Weekend, Tool or Daft Punk.

23 minutes ago, Nesser said:

My only concern regarding what I've been told is that I have no way to check my info. I don't mind saying that Nick Cave and The National are headlining two of the days because it's pretty clear they're playing but the last one is a bit of a strecht cause they're touring Europe in 2018 and seems like a long shot but kind of makes sense too so the best thing we can do is to sit down and wait.

Besides the three names, I found quite interesting that Björk wasn't mentioned. I thought she would end up headlining Sonar since she did a dj set/one-off performance last year but I can't see her now that Gorillaz and LCD are playing. Therefore, she may play Primavera as #2, not as a headliner.

Struggling to think of anyone who's touring Europe in 2018 but isn't already headlining elsewhere other than Kendrick. I could see Bjork playing after a headliner, don't think they'd have The National or Nick Cave closing a night so Bjork after one of them could work well.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

I think its very unlikely she'd play without top billing on the poster- she's headlining every other festival she's at this year 

1 hour ago, Ecco said:

On a personal note, i wish Fever Ray, Bicep, At The Drive-In, Justice and Brand New woul be added.

I still have hopes for a big surprising act like, Vampire Weekend, Tool or Daft Punk.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a Brand New comeback, probably ever. 

1 hour ago, Ecco said:

According to the last livestream, Artic Monkeys are ruled out.

In some kind of ways, the headliners seems to be predictable... Björk, Beck, The National and Nick Cave seem very likely.

Lorde could be set to attract the younger crowd, as Kendrick Lamar seem unlikely too?

I just don't feel Bjork, Beck, The National and Nick Cave have the mass appeal/ wow factor of previous years and feel more like undercard acts, albeit really good ones (maybe with the exception of Bjork). I agree they maybe keeping something up their sleeves like Daft Punk or an early announcement of a big tour like Radiohead few years ago.

2 hours ago, Nesser said:

Maiden?

Both a long shot and touring Europe - no Spanish date either.

Edit - Madrid  in July. Makes 'em even more of a longer shot

Edit, edit - tour dates don't really work.

Ignore me. It's Monday.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

1 hour ago, slowdive said:

Haha, how did you guys manage to find my bandpool list? I mean, I only shared it in a small german festival forum. Impressive! :lol:

Next time some credits would be nice, when copying it.

Sorry, my friend sent me the link and I didn't know who to credit, couldn't track down the source and just put it on Google Translate last week so me and my friends will be able to read it. Now I do know who to credit, so I added it :)

Awesome stuff, by the way! Thanks a lot. I also updated the German doc with all the stuff I'm familiar with (using Google Translate).

6 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Gabi retwitted tonight two albums of the year lists - both have Lorde at first place and Kendrick at second.

Trying to tell us something?

Don't read too much into his retweets, he can definitely talk if he wants to.

Edited by Orens
  • Downvote 1

It makes perfect sense that Gabi tweets end of year lists that are favourable to him i.e. that have a high proportion of bands that are playing Primavera. 

He has also tweeted a rap album list. Didn't know who Vic Mensa is but he's number 1. Looked it up and he was part of the Joey Purp set up last year. Maybe he'll return...