I can't go to Glastonbury anymore

Crazycatlady1969

Hi everyone, 

it would have been my first Glasto this year with my boyfriend, but we've split up over the Weekend, just after the cut off date for the refund...really gutted..I have a ticket, but I do not want to go on my own (he is still going). Does anyone know if & how I could get a refund? I didn't get ticket protection either...I'm pretty messed up & I need the cash.

cheers

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say fuck him and go. As said join camp solo and I'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms. Without protection I don't think you can get a refund now.

Funnily enough there was a girl who just posted a thread wanting to buy a female ticket, so if you don't want to go it alone, sell it to her.

Go. Have the time of your life. Have you done much research into the festival given this is your first time? If you're worried about bumping into your boyfriend then don't, Glastonbury is a city and the chances of doing so are next to nothing. As others have said, there is no better way to let go of everything and have more fun than you could imagine.

You're never truly alone at Glastonbury either, you'll be walking amongst the best people in the world. It's a life changing experience, I understand break ups are difficult but this is a hell of an opportunity for you to experience and explore the greatest place on earth with absolute freedom.

19 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

Hi everyone, 

it would have been my first Glasto this year with my boyfriend, but we've split up over the Weekend, just after the cut off date for the refund...really gutted..I have a ticket, but I do not want to go on my own (he is still going). Does anyone know if & how I could get a refund? I didn't get ticket protection either...I'm pretty messed up & I need the cash.

cheers

I think unfortunately as you haven't got ticket protection you can't get a refund on the ticket. I'd say go, join camp solo and have the best weekend of your life (there's a thread for it on the chat boards I'd recommend introducing yourself there) As your first year don't let a breakup spoil your experience. It's the most incredible place on earth and I can assure you you will have the best time. Loads of people go on their own and enjoy every second of it. You'll meet so many people and make friends for life. 

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Go. Have the time of your life. Have you done much research into the festival given this is your first time? If you're worried about bumping into your boyfriend then don't, Glastonbury is a city and the chances of doing so are next to nothing. As others have said, there is no better way to let go of everything and have more fun than you could imagine.

You're never truly alone at Glastonbury either, you'll be walking amongst the best people in the world. It's a life changing experience, I understand break ups are difficult but this is a hell of an opportunity for you to experience and explore the greatest place on earth with absolute freedom.

I've bumped into so many people at Glastonbury. I'd say its definitely possible. Especially if you've been a couple listening to the same music for a while.

Edited by OffshoreToon

1 minute ago, OffshoreToon said:

I've bumped into so many people at Glastonbury. I'd say its definitely possible. Especially if you've been a couple listening to the same music for a while.

I wouldn't say so, I find it hard enough to find my friends when they're 10 feet away ha! 

Ms Cat lady I'd say go! It is the most amazing place on this earth! As others have said, join camp solo. It'll be the best break up cure. If you wanna meet up/feeling lonely or low, pm me and I'll send my number. You can hang out with my gang. 

5 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

Ms Cat lady I'd say go! It is the most amazing place on this earth! As others have said, join camp solo. It'll be the best break up cure. If you wanna meet up/feeling lonely or low, pm me and I'll send my number. You can hang out with my gang. 

I can vouch for this nutter. She will kidnap you and you'll end up in her gang for the weekend. 

I went my first time solo. Made lifelong friends, met future husband and have memories that will last forever. Go. Lots of options for you to consider to get you there. Best decision you will ever make. Trust me. And i never say trust me. 

Just now, H.M.V said:

I can vouch for this nutter. She will kidnap you and you'll end up in her gang for the weekend. 

I went my first time solo. Made lifelong friends, met future husband and have memories that will last forever. Go. Lots of options for you to consider to get you there. Best decision you will ever make. Trust me. And i never say trust me. 

You make it sound really romantic, not like you totally blanked him!

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You make it sound really romantic, not like you totally blanked him!

She's not a c**t!! Actually she thought he was one of my mates which is why she blanked him... twice. Says what she thinks about my mates haha. 

14 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I can also vouch for her, we got trapped on a coach together for 12 hours and she pretty much supplied the majority of the coach with tasty booze and was generally just a pile of friendly 

We've  had a thread like this every year for the last 2 years I've been around and I'm pretty sure both times the person returned and said they were really glad that went and had an amazing time 

I can't think of a better distraction from a breakup than to immerse yourself in the chaos and never ending distraction that is Glastonbury 

Edited by sloseph

While I echo the thoughts of everyone here.

Just take a week or so to yourself before worrying and dealing with this, others here might disagree, but Glastonbury is probably less important than sorting your head out if you're a bit of a mess at the moment. As mentioned you'll likely not get a refund, so whether you try and find a grey market solution to the ticket sale this week or next it won't make much difference. 

Hopefully next week it's not so fresh and you'll be more capable of considering trying the festival out alone. Especially as you wouldn't truly be alone with all these guys and camp solo etc. 

21 minutes ago, sloseph said:

I can also vouch for her, we got trapped on a coach together for 12 hours and she pretty much supplied the majority of the coach with tasty booze and was generally just a pile of friendly 

We've  had a thread like this every year for the last 2 years I've been around and I'm pretty sure both times the person returned and said they were really glad that went and had an amazing time 

I can't think of a better distraction from a breakup than to immerse yourself in the chaos and never ending distraction that is Glastonbury 

Only the first 12 rows but awe shucks Sloseph, you're making me blush ;) thanx dude!! Extremely looking forward to seeing you again!! (Ps the nfr crew barely had any cherry bakewell cos of you lot of thirsty bastards haha) 

Thanks everyone for replying...I'm incredibly shy & not good at meeting new people, so the thought of going it alone scares the crap out of me!! I hate that I can't sell my ticket to someone who really wants to go...my ex still wants us to be friends & still wants to go with me, but I'm really not sure what to do..I always thought if I ever went to Glasto that it would be with someone special to share the amazing time with them :(

we are as one once through those gates, this aint some town centre where your going to get some knobhead tell you to sod off if your try to be friendly and chat to them, in fact im willing to bet some of the best friendships on these boards and beyond have been formed by bumping into some `random` and chatting the shit putting the world to rights etc.

..............your only alone till you get to glastonbury.........

21 minutes ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

Thanks everyone for replying...I'm incredibly shy & not good at meeting new people, so the thought of going it alone scares the crap out of me!! I hate that I can't sell my ticket to someone who really wants to go...my ex still wants us to be friends & still wants to go with me, but I'm really not sure what to do..I always thought if I ever went to Glasto that it would be with someone special to share the amazing time with them :(

Sorry to hear about your situation. But I would kill to go to Glastonbury on my own.
I reckon I speak to more people I have never met before than my actual friends I go with!

Life is waaay too short to worry about little things like that.

Although it probably sucks right now, it will suck a way lot more in a few years when you regret that you never went. 

It's hard going solo to a festival, but once you get there you don't have to worry anymore. Even if you are shy, other people aren't. Even if you worry about holding a conversation with a stranger, other people don't. Even if you judge yourself with a metric ton of anxiety, other people won't. You have a ticket you can't refund to a place that is insane and magical. Take a deep breath, tell yourself you can do this, and walk through those gates solo with your mind as open as possible. Leave the rest to us. :)

I've been a member of this forum for years. I very rarely post and I've never been to the efestivals meetup (not because I'm anti-social but because I don't get there until Thursday afternoon). But every year without fail there are people who post here having separated from their partner saying they're probably not going to go. Sometimes they post wanting support ("I don't think I can face it", "what if I bump into him/her", "should I go/shall I stay".  Sometimes they post wanting advice ("how do I get my money back", "the deposit is in his name").  And every year I'm so impressed with how this forum rallies round and supports these people. And every year they open their arms and help make someone's special week even more special. Every year I hear of people who are obviously on an emotional rollercoaster take a plunge into the abyss and go off with a bunch of complete strangers. And, with one exception (about 4/5 years ago, a young guy who couldn't cope and left on the Saturday morning, but if I remember rightly the sun played a part too), every year it seemed to have worked.  It always seems that those people who went expecting to survive Glastonbury ended up having a better time than they probably would have had otherwise.  

This forum is amazing and should be mandatory reading for anyone who ever has doubts about the natural good that is in people.

34 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I've been a member of this forum for years. I very rarely post and I've never been to the efestivals meetup (not because I'm anti-social but because I don't get there until Thursday afternoon). But every year without fail there are people who post here having separated from their partner saying they're probably not going to go. Sometimes they post wanting support ("I don't think I can face it", "what if I bump into him/her", "should I go/shall I stay".  Sometimes they post wanting advice ("how do I get my money back", "the deposit is in his name").  And every year I'm so impressed with how this forum rallies round and supports these people. And every year they open their arms and help make someone's special week even more special. Every year I hear of people who are obviously on an emotional rollercoaster take a plunge into the abyss and go off with a bunch of complete strangers. And, with one exception (about 4/5 years ago, a young guy who couldn't cope and left on the Saturday morning, but if I remember rightly the sun played a part too), every year it seemed to have worked.  It always seems that those people who went expecting to survive Glastonbury ended up having a better time than they probably would have had otherwise.  

This forum is amazing and should be mandatory reading for anyone who ever has doubts about the natural good that is in people.

I second this :)

8 hours ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

Hi everyone, 

cheers

Hi Crazycatlady...

Sorry to read about your break up. Have been going through the same thing myself recently and had planned on going to Glastonbury with my wife. Embrace everything and everyone on this forum (probably not literally) as it/ they have been a massive help to me over the past few months!

You have gone past the refund date now, so you have two options. Don't go, lose a couple of hundred quid and miss out on potentially one of the best weeks of your life. Or go, see lots of brilliant bands and acts, bask in the fantastic British countryside in glorious sunshine, eat some amazing food, drink great beers and ciders and make loads of new friends. I joined Camp Solo in the aftermath of the break-up and it's good to know that there are friendly people and a welcoming environment ready made for you when you arrive! I am shy too and not a good mixer initially, but a few weeks down the line I am really looking forward to going solo. Even if you wanted to amble around on your own, at least you'll have a welcoming camp site to come back to and a support network should you be struggling.

It does get easier as time goes by. I won't lie, you'll have a few wobbles on the way. But you are definitely going! Could you imagine sitting and watching on TV, knowing you could be there?! You are privileged to have a got a ticket, and you may never get one again! Treat everyone as your last and have a ball.

I'll buy you a cider/ beer/ Yeo Valley yogurt/ drink of your choice when you're there! PM me if you need any more terrible advice :D

8 hours ago, Crazycatlady1969 said:

You wouldn't be alone when you're inside the gates :) I know how terrifying it can be to take the plunge and do something that scares you but I promise you this isn't something that you will regret. I know if it was me I'd be miserable being at home thinking of an ex being there and enjoying themselves. Sometimes the best adventures are the ones you don't expect. I hope you take some of the kind offers for beers/company/camp solo on here and embrace the weekend :)