Best acts you have seen at the festival

grumpyhack

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh yeah, singalongs in Acoustic. Whatever I said for 2005 was wrong. Chas'n'Dave won that year.

I'd have loved to have seen Chas and Dave in the acoustic. Bet it was brilliant.

No mention of Björk in 2007? You heathens. What a show. Almost worth suffering the awful mud and weather for.

Honourable mention to the English National Ballet in 2014. The last thing anyone needed emotionally on a Sunday morning really, but it was incredible.

12 minutes ago, Untz said:

No mention of Björk in 2007? You heathens. What a show. Almost worth suffering the awful mud and weather for.

Honourable mention to the English National Ballet in 2014. The last thing anyone needed emotionally on a Sunday morning really, but it was incredible.

Hyperballad was the best song I heard that year, for sure.

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bono in his jammies, a bowl of uneaten cornflakes going soggy beside him, frantically refreshing this thread with tears rolling down his face.

"That's it, I'm staying in and watching Diners Drives Ins & Dives all day. Fuckin' efests."

1 hour ago, Untz said:

I arsed up and missed her set to be fair but did manage to catch Hyperballad which was definitely a standout moment. 

portishead 2013 - let us take a moment to bow our heads and say a prayer for those poor saps who chose chic or arctic monkeys that night. You have my deepest sympathies.

Leonard Cohen 2008 - it just doesnt get better than this.

Bowie 2000 - I think. I cant really remember much of it. Though I've listened to the bootleg 10000000000 times.

Flaming lips 2010 - same again this year please!

Nick cave 2013 - showed the mumford cretins what live music is all about.

everything pre-2000 may as well not have happened.

honourable mentions: macca 2004, radiohead 2003, blur 2009, doves 2009, killers 2004 (yep), roger waters 2002 (cant really remember it though, but surely it was ace..)

In the 80's there were the Black Uhuru Sets (there's a pizza living down the road), and Aswad

The Cure in 86 with the thunderstorm and Robyn Hitchcock

Trouble Funk in one of the years

Ian Dury on one of the years, although he had a to leave the stage with everyone throwing mud at him

and of course Archaos  Motorbikes on the Pyramid

1993 - The orb - there really was motorcycles flying around the sky

1994 - Orbital. Just WOW

1995 Pulp and some act in the dance tent I just can't remember the name

1997 Daft Punk (Mrs Q hated them) and Radiohead

1999 - REM

2000 - . fing great year but Moby into Chemical Brothers was special. Leftfield and the bass driving my ribs to breaking point

2002 - Manu Chao

2004 Paul McCartney and Johnny Cash (changed my mind on him that set)

2010 - Stevie and Faithless

at some point during 000's hallucinogen in dub.

Loads of other great stuff like spearhead one afternoon but can't remember them all now

Oh and The XX in 2013

Edited by fred quimby

Some that stand out for me:

Pulp 1994 and 1995

Daft Punk 1997

Portishead 1998 

Adele 2016

Edit : Oh and Lionel. I enjoyed him a lot more than I should have done.

Yep that's a big gap between 98 and 2016 but I didnt go between 2001 and 2011.

Edited by rseamer

Jay Z in 2008 put on one hell of a show, especially after all the hype in the months building up to it, also The Verve on the Sunday night. Doves headlining the John Peel in 2009 were quality although thats a bit of a biased opinion from me as i was rather wired up to the eyeballs shall we say! Snoop Dog in 2010 was a classic, the Pyramid Field baked in mid afternoon sunshine and packed to the rafters ready to party made it special. The Hives early doors on The Other Stage in 2013 had infectious energy putting Beady Eye to shame who had been on as the secret opener. Super Furrys headlining The Park in 2015 was a fantastic set, it was the first time i had seen them after spending the previous two months exploring their work beyond the known singles, and i absolutely loved it!

With the line up so far, and plenty more to come, im fairly confident that there will be a few more names added to that lot by the end of June this year! (Justice if their current shows so far on this tour are anything to go by)

Edited by Familiar2billions

25 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

In the 80's there were the Black Uhuru Sets (there's a pizza living down the road), and Aswad

The Cure in 86 with the thunderstorm and Robyn Hitchcock

Trouble Funk in one of the years

Ian Dury on one of the years, although he had a to leave the stage with everyone throwing mud at him

and of course Archaos  Motorbikes on the Pyramid

1993 - The orb - there really was motorcycles flying around the sky

1994 - Orbital. Just WOW

1995 Pulp and some act in the dance tent I just can't remember the name

1997 Daft Punk (Mrs Q hated them) and Radiohead

1999 - REM

2000 - . fing great year but Moby into Chemical Brothers was special. Leftfield and the bass driving my ribs to breaking point

2002 - Manu Chao

2004 Paul McCartney and Johnny Cash (changed my mind on him that set)

2010 - Stevie and Faithless

at some point during 000's hallucinogen in dub.

Loads of other great stuff like spearhead one afternoon but can't remember them all now

Oh and The XX in 2013

You cant beat a gig from beyond the grave!

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

You cant beat a gig from beyond the grave!

:)

knew it had a 4 in it. so 1994. was told to go and see him (sure that was my Brother in law but didn't get together with Mrs Q until 95) so I now have no idea who told me to go and see him. Wasn't going to, as was no fan and didn't really get why people liked him,  in the end decided to go, missed the first 2 songs. That gig changed my mind completely.

Now I wish I knew who did recommend him to me, might have been the brother of the girl I was seeing at the time maybe.

The other thing I remember that year was me and someone I went with convinced ourselves we were not walking on the ground but actually above it, had to stop people to tell them of our impressive feat (or should that be feet). Candy Flipping was so much fun back then

7 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

knew it had a 4 in it. so 1994. was told to go and see him (sure that was my Brother in law but didn't get together with Mrs Q until 95) so I now have no idea who told me to go and see him. Wasn't going to, as was no fan and didn't really get why people liked him,  in the end decided to go, missed the first 2 songs. That gig changed my mind completely.

Now I wish I knew who did recommend him to me, might have been the brother of the girl I was seeing at the time maybe.

The other thing I remember that year was me and someone I went with convinced ourselves we were not walking on the ground but actually above it, had to stop people to tell them of our impressive feat (or should that be feet). Candy Flipping was so much fun back then

I wish I'd met whoever it was who told you to go. I was there but I dont think I'd even heard of johnny cash in 1994 so was completely oblivious to it all. Only a few years later when I grew up and realised how ace he was did the regret kick in :( 

38 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

Jay Z in 2008 put on one hell of a show, especially after all the hype in the months building up to it

I'm not sure about the entire set, but the beginning of the set was amazing. The energy in the field was so high - he could have dropped the mic after 99 Problems and walked off and it would have been enough.

I did get a bit bored throughout the set, but I'm not a fan of Jay Z or rap in general.

6 minutes ago, Untz said:

I'm not sure about the entire set, but the beginning of the set was amazing. The energy in the field was so high - he could have dropped the mic after 99 Problems and walked off and it would have been enough.

I did get a bit bored throughout the set, but I'm not a fan of Jay Z or rap in general.

I agree with this totally. The gig itself was absolute dung, but the lead up and beginning of the gig was extraordinary. Utterly electric. I've never ever experienced anything like it at glastonbury before or since. Great memories.

So many!

1997 Prodigy power cut after about 10 minutes, weirdly Denis Penis comes on stage and signs some song in hebrew before the band come back on
2002 Faithless sunset slot with We Come 1
2005 Royksopp followed by Fatboy Slim
2007 Arcade Fire
2010 Hotchip, Orbital with Matt Smith - Doctor Who theme
2013 Rolling Stones 
2014 Arcade Fire , Metallica 
2015 Motorhead , Hotchip 
2016 Underworld

10 hours ago, shuttlep said:

they were truly fucking awesome

Yeah can imagine, bet the sing along was ace.

Did you see when they played sonisphere a few years back, had a mosh going, so funny. 

3 hours ago, Waapster said:

Oh, I thought you were taking the piss. Mustn't reply to stuff too early in the morning...

I thought it must have been something like that.  No, you reminded me of one of the greatest gigs I've ever been to.  Chas'n'Dave acoustic tent singalong, absolute magic in the tent that day.