The Jackson 5

Fladog

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There won't be a better track performed all weekend than I Want You Back.

EVEN IF BRIAN WILSON IS THERE DOING PET SOUNDS, COME AT ME

The beach boys are one of my dad's heroes I grew up luisteing to them. in 2005 watching Brian Wilson witha tear in my eye and a belly full of beer. I called my dad and explained I was watching Brian Wilson (his idol) an dit was quite emotional. he just said "man up and get over it " then hung up

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't really know the answer specifically, but they all sing don't they?  They're as much a vocal group as a 'band'.

There are shit loads of harmonies on their records, but pretty much every song has a distinct "lead" vocal, more often than not sung by Michael. Be interesting to see who takes them, since even back in the day Jermaine used to sing lower than his little brother.

I was quite pissed and a bit disinterested when I saw them in Bestival but I vaguely remember them having a video of young Michael on the screen during his parts. They may well have played his voice over a backing track.

As I said on another thread, they were a bit underwhelming. If they're on at headline time there will definitely be better options elsewhere.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There won't be a better track performed all weekend than I Want You Back.

EVEN IF BRIAN WILSON IS THERE DOING PET SOUNDS, COME AT ME

I saw Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds at the Palladium last summer. I enjoyed it because the music is (obviously) amazing and Al Jardine and his son, Matt Jardine, were on great form. Brian Wilson, however, is a shell of a human being. He just sat still and stared vacantly into oblivion during parts where he had nothing to do. He seemed barely capable of walking or talking, let alone singing. It was a weird mixture of enjoyment and sadness! 

I'm not trying to put you off... You'll probably still love it. Just warning you that, unless I just saw him on a particularly tired/off day, you may also find it slightly heartbreaking.

I saw it in Edinburgh.........Brian's in less worrisome shape than Blondie Chaplin.

14 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

As I said on another thread, they were a bit underwhelming. If they're on at headline time there will definitely be better options elsewhere.

'Definitely'?  I've just read a few reviews and they're all positive.  Including from:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/bestival/2015/review-sunday.shtml

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I saw it in Edinburgh.........Brian's in less worrisome shape than Blondie Chaplin.

'Definitely'?  I've just read a few reviews and they're all positive.  Including from:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/bestival/2015/review-sunday.shtml

Hmm... Maybe I've just got high expectations for stage headliners. Just pre-warning people because I was disappointed after seeing them!

2 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Hmm... Maybe I've just got high expectations for stage headliners. Just pre-warning people because I was disappointed after seeing them!

For a band like that, late night after a day on the sauce, their back catalogue does about 75% of the work for them.  Technical precision is waaaaay down on my list of priorities.

I mean, I can barely remember EWF last year, but I know I had a great time.

28 minutes ago, DefLeppard said:

I saw Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds at the Palladium last summer. I enjoyed it because the music is (obviously) amazing and Al Jardine and his son, Matt Jardine, were on great form. Brian Wilson, however, is a shell of a human being. He just sat still and stared vacantly into oblivion during parts where he had nothing to do. He seemed barely capable of walking or talking, let alone singing. It was a weird mixture of enjoyment and sadness! 

I'm not trying to put you off... You'll probably still love it. Just warning you that, unless I just saw him on a particularly tired/off day, you may also find it slightly heartbreaking.

Sadly, that's often how Brian is.   When I saw him in 2004, he was the same - except starting grinning his head off and waving during California Girls.

I Want You Back is an amazing song. Better than anything the Beach Boys did. But i,ve never really got the Brian wilson thing.

the only problem with the Jackson 5 opening with 'Can you feel it' is all the people hypnotised by Derren Brown will go on the rob, especially if the weather is alright and there's lots of green grass around.