NFR NFC 2017 - The friendly thread for lovely people

Quark

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello lovely people, glad some have had sunshine to enjoy today.  All very grey and meh here.  @Yoghurt on a Stick hope you get windscreen/Transit/extra 1cm sorted and Mrs Yog comes around to the idea of being on the farm in June. @H.M.V top work with the dress shopping.  @trevethin I'll see your field mice and house mice, and raise by a few bank voles, which are cute but just as fond of my Christmas chocolate as the house mice are.  Little buggers insisted on nibbling a bit of each choc as well, rather than eating a whole one. @lucyginger glad you're recovered and back in normal clothes! Sending everyone warm hugs.

Despite various cock-ups youngest managed to get grade 5 in his English mock, which is little short of miraculous.  Together with great marks in subjects he wants to study at A level, and confirmation that a late application will be accepted,  he has a good chance of being offered a place in 6th form.  Actually getting him to school for the interview is another matter though.  He's settling in at the Outreach learning centre, I'm managing to round up some people to help with driving him there and back,  and it's a huge relief that I don't have to keep pushing him to do his work as he gets it done while he's at the learning centre (which has about 1600 fewer students than the school).  Unfortunately Outreach don't do A levels, so it has to  be college or 6th Form for those.

I have a bizarre mix of social activities this week - seeing La La Land tomorrow night,  pottery workshop on Friday, and Burns Night supper on Saturday.  Why we celebrate Burns Night here at the arse-end of the Cotswolds in a village with around 2 Scottish inhabitants is beyond me.  I'm also shit at Scottish dancing... though quite good at consuming a decent malt.

Hi all , sorry for being MIA , I'm feeling slightly odd that it could be the end of an era for Glastonbury  as I've known , time to downsize or whatever ... And make the most of every moment of this year

in other news in an effort to make the most of it, and get fitter and with my vanity hat on, looks nicer I am on day 12 of the Whole30 diet, deary me it's tough (for me ). No alcohol, dairy, sugars of any type expect fresh fruit (so no honey etc ), no grains, no beans, no legumes, nothing processed........ Basically meat , fish, eggs,. Vegetables and fruit. And sweet potatoes are allowed ....... i have malted milk rage yesterday when someone left a plate of them in a meeting room ! 

Actaully writing it down I am wondering why I am putting myself through it ... Oh yes to make the hill of doom easier :-)

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Hi all , sorry for being MIA , I'm feeling slightly odd that it could be the end of an era for Glastonbury  as I've known , time to downsize or whatever ... And make the most of every moment of this year

in other news in an effort to make the most of it, and get fitter and with my vanity hat on, looks nicer I am on day 12 of the Whole30 diet, deary me it's tough (for me ). No alcohol, dairy, sugars of any type expect fresh fruit (so no honey etc ), no grains, no beans, no legumes, nothing processed........ Basically meat , fish, eggs,. Vegetables and fruit. And sweet potatoes are allowed ....... i have malted milk rage yesterday when someone left a plate of them in a meeting room ! 

Actaully writing it down I am wondering why I am putting myself through it ... Oh yes to make the hill of doom easier :-)

Poor you FF!  Why no legumes?  The least you could hope for with a diet like that is to be able to clear a room with a single fart. :)

5 hours ago, H.M.V said:

That diet like all diets is fucking mental. Eat less move more. Unless you have a properly diagnosed allergy. 

I'm beginning to think so too, although the 'idea' of it is to clear yourself of allergens and in my case to start to address total sugar cravings and reintroduce gradually. Doing it through the gym, and it's only 30 days so not the end of the world. 

7 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Poor you FF!  Why no legumes?  The least you could hope for with a diet like that is to be able to clear a room with a single fart. :)

Not poor me lol - I want to see how my body reacts when I cut all out and reintroduce gradually after 30 days.  (I got some ideas and it ain't gonna be pleasant )  From what I've read legumes contain lectin (?), that can create inflammation and the idea is cut out and reintroduce at the end the period.  It's all far too scientific for me , so I'll just follow it and see how I feel. It's defo not a long term approach. 

What I can say is that cutting out the crap has given me headaches , I've been irritable but now feeling much more alert all day (no mid afternoon slump ) and I'm sleeping so much better which can only be a good thing 

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Not poor me lol - I want to see how my body reacts when I cut all out and reintroduce gradually after 30 days.  (I got some ideas and it ain't gonna be pleasant )  From what I've read legumes contain lectin (?), that can create inflammation and the idea is cut out and reintroduce at the end the period.  It's all far too scientific for me , so I'll just follow it and see how I feel. It's defo not a long term approach. 

What I can say is that cutting out the crap has given me headaches , I've been irritable but now feeling much more alert all day (no mid afternoon slump ) and I'm sleeping so much better which can only be a good thing 

Wow, that is severe (makes me shudder thinking all the sugar I consume). Do you avoid caffeine too?

That diet sounds pretty extreme. I have started taking a diet seriously, the aim is to just cut out fizzy drinks, chocolate, cake, fatty foods. Opt for healthier choices, I intend on joining the gym but that will likely be at the end of Feb, so I'll just walk more and go to fitness classes. Every year I get a little bit fatter with each Glastonbury, enough is enough. I want to lose over a stone before the festival, which allows for some weeks not to have any losses. I've only been doing it for over a week though and I can feel the extreme tiredness, headaches creeping in. I'm not intending on cutting out chocolate and cake forever, the aim at the moment is to get to the end of the month without any 'treats'. 

8 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I don;t drink coffee anyway, but no its not to be avoided (no idea why) !

I can't see how the caffeine would affect the joints themselves, more the blood and brain cells. I remember reading about Sally Gunnell's detox from coffee which gave her migraines; I'm avoiding that pain.

I'm working from home today (I can see the irony of typing that whilst on this forum) and the exercise bike is gathering dust behind me whilst the word 'Sugar' goes round in my mind.  I think I need to get a brain/body reconnect and make me do some exercise in general, nevermind for June for greater speed and mobility.

*sigh*

Voles !! @dizzymoo have never heard of those inside before.  We have today given up on the mouse catching.  We caught 3 which I think is an odd number, but there were no more in the trap yesterday or this morning so we've removed it now.  If we hear them again we'll just have to put it back.

I agree about the various diets / eating plan woes.  They are a pain. I'm doing that 5:2 thing, I eat very little on Monday and Wednesday and then as normal the rest of the week.  It works for me, but it's slow.

I am sat here dithering about whether to buy a particular fireplace surround off eBay, or not. It ends in an hour so I've got to make my mind up real soon !!  We're having the stove made legal which involves various boring and expensive things, one being having to remove the existing wooden fireplace surround and replace it with a non combustible one.

2 hours ago, trevethin said:

Voles !! @dizzymoo have never heard of those inside before.  We have today given up on the mouse catching.  We caught 3 which I think is an odd number, but there were no more in the trap yesterday or this morning so we've removed it now.  If we hear them again we'll just have to put it back.

Stating the obvious level: Master.

;)

Mmm diets...

I just need to cut out the gin and wine or better still and much more fun is to cut out the food totally and replace with said gin and wine. 

I've enrolled on a HIIT course at my gym next week but it's on aThursday night which is the new Friday night which is a wine night so all I'll be thinking about is my first glass of wine. 

Eat less and healthy and move more... or just drink more and don't care :D

Good news on the youngest Dizzy, sounds like he's going great guns :)

Cycled in to work this morning.  Not saying it was cold, but by the time I got here there was ice in my water bottle! Trying to hit it once a week, 20 miles each way so not a bad workout!  Combined with the gym, walking and the rugby this should get my fitness back up.  

Realised in the lead up to Christmas that I've slacked off massively over the past couple of  years since I semi-retired from playing, so given myself a bit of a kick up the backside!

As far as the diet goes I'm generally wary of anything that isn't sustainable, just because I've seen so many people stack weight back on as soon as they go back to normal. Mrs Q has to avoid certain things due to IBS, as a lot of things contain certain natural sugars that cause some real digestive problems, so know the joys of cutting food out! But by and large I'm with HMV; stick to whole foods, avoid too much processed stuff, and control portion sizes!

Anyway, sun is shining.  Happy feckin' Friday everyone!