Lineup 2018

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do you really now know who Zach de la Rocha is? Or do you mean 'cos I wrote 'Zach' when I should've put 'Zack'. :P He's yer man from the once-great Rage Against the Machine. New solo stuff is being worked on (and is so far good) but it'd be something of a surprise if it wasn't a long drawn out process so 2018 is more suitable.

I think Babymetal are about to cross that bridge between novelty opening act and taken-somewhat-seriously rock act. You may be right that 3rd is a stretch but somewhere around there.

I agree about Babymetal. They're going to BOOM really soon. I think that they will sub headline Download the next time they play. They're incredible to see live, a real spectacle. 

Zach's stuff so far is awesome, too. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I agree about Babymetal. They're going to BOOM really soon. I think that they will sub headline Download the next time they play. They're incredible to see live, a real spectacle. 

Zach's stuff so far is awesome, too. 

Subbing is a bit of a jump considering they were the 3rd band on the main stage this year, i don't really see them getting any bigger than they are, anyone who would get into them will have heard of them by now.

Although they are interesting to see live i don't see them ever playing that high at Download, feel like the gimmick will have worn off long before then.

5 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Subbing is a bit of a jump considering they were the 3rd band on the main stage this year, i don't really see them getting any bigger than they are, anyone who would get into them will have heard of them by now.

Although they are interesting to see live i don't see them ever playing that high at Download, feel like the gimmick will have worn off long before then.

They're more than your average third-on act though, let's be real. They get special guest tags and - you'll like this one - their text is larger in comparison on the poster!

I think that them getting their foot in the door with those low main stage slots and their upcoming support slots for Chilis and GNR sorta indicate their management (or promoters... whatever) are pretty set on them being bigger than they already are and reaching new ears so I think you're wrong about the gimmick wearing off and everyone having heard them.

I would expect that they're going to become massive for a brief period of time - tho not headline massive - and then something else will come along. A robot band or something.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, dylangraham said:

think there needs to be a more mainstream act. swap paramore for The 1975 or Kendrick

Kendrick I could possibly see but it's only a matter of time before Paramore come back to outright headline and tbh, every Foo Fighters album comes out, goes to number 1 etc and does well as far as I'm aware so you can't discount them as mainstream. 

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Florence + The Machine
Foo Fighters
Bring Me The Horizon

Download should book Paramore. Can see V Festival snapping up The 1975's first headline slot. 

Florescent is within a shout but I doubt the other two will be anything different.

The 1975 would bomb at V massively.

Edited by thewayiam

37 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I feel like the two or three times Matt Healy has said they'll be headlining Reading in a couple of years might be because it's actually pencilled in to happen and he's disguising it as hubris. They do arrange this shit a while in advance - imaginably with some get-out clause but still.

Agreed. I'd expect there are at least talks going on. Same with BMTH.

The 1975 + Tame Impala or Kendrick

Foo Fighters

Bring Me The Horizon 

50 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Agreed. I'd expect there are at least talks going on. Same with BMTH.

The 1975 + Tame Impala or Kendrick

Foo Fighters

Bring Me The Horizon 

I don't think Tame Impala will feature. I think they could do Bestival first (if it's still going in 2018) as they've got a good relationship with the festival and it's still a bit of a possible risk for R+L as a headliner, whereas it's a blockbuster for Bestival.

49 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The 1975 being pencilled in for 2018 already on the basis of a new album also being pencilled in for that year wouldn't surprise me at all. 

R&L to get BMTH, The 1975 & Foos. 

My man, you're changing your mind about this at a serious rate. You'll make yourself ill. :lol:

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Florescent

57 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The 1975 being pencilled in for 2018 already on the basis of a new album also being pencilled in for that year wouldn't surprise me at all. 

R&L to get BMTH, The 1975 & Foos. 

Download to get Paramore, Metallica & Tool. 

So an hour ago you agree, no you change your mind! Bloody hell Andre lol!

Download won't get Tool. LP and Metallica will be two of them. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think Tame Impala will feature. I think they could do Bestival first (if it's still going in 2018) as they've got a good relationship with the festival and it's still a bit of a possible risk for R+L as a headliner, whereas it's a blockbuster for Bestival.

My man, you're changing your mind about this at a serious rate. You'll make yourself ill. :lol:

I have a short attention span, clearly :lol: 

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't be surprised if FR have noticed how quickly The Killers shifted their BST tickets. I've cooled on Foos playing too, if they're still around next summer surely it's about time Download threw a load of cash their way. Florence + The Machine, The Killers and Bring Me The Horizon would sell okay I guess.

20 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if FR have noticed how quickly The Killers shifted their BST tickets. I've cooled on Foos playing too, if they're still around next summer surely it's about time Download threw a load of cash their way. Florence + The Machine, The Killers and Bring Me The Horizon would sell okay I guess.

Reading is Grohl's favourite festival I think so I imagine they'll play it.

Yeah and Foos probably just don't wanna play Download. Besides, its the same company as R+L so they could offer similar amounts surely? Foos might dip out for stadiums but if there's any fest next year it'll be R+L I reckz. They'll definitely be 'still' around as it'll be the first summer promoting the new album. :P

Agree The Killers are a possibility. So many possibilities at this point; I think next summer could be a strange one regarding headliners for large/medium-sized fests given there'll be no Glasto and some other large events are in turmoil.

Think BMTH could quite easily do Download instead as that place needs new headliners - tho I think QOTSA will play it too.

46 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I think FF and BMTH are nailed on. What you say about The Killers is true but that's one day that doesn't have the shit that Reading does. This being said, FR wouldn't book Elbow or TFF I doubt again either. At £60 now I think it'd sell well.

Can't decide on a 3rd mind.