the festival Hat

shuttlep

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, mandolin said:

Got this little beauty based on others recommendations from here.  I am definitely a middle aged woman and I definitely have short hair - if the hat looks ridiculous I'll blame my face/hair and not the hat (though I have to admit I like it on me - but I've long since gotten used to my face!) 

Given your user name it would be a shame for you not to use similar accessories at least :)

image.jpeg

I like it!  What did you use to drill the bottle caps with?  It is a good excuse to have to drink some bottled beer (I usually stick with draught down the pub!)

Oh - and where did you get it?  

Edited by Beerqueen

25 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I like it!  What did you use to drill the bottle caps with?  It is a good excuse to have to drink some bottled beer (I usually stick with draught down the pub!)

Oh - and where did you get it?  

I googled "tarp hat" and found (without difficulty, strangely enough) Tarphat.co.uk.  Have to admit that I got the beer bottle top ribbony thing from there too thinking it would be too difficult to make myself (I am not in the slightest bit creative) - but in honesty I think I could have done it with an awl, some cord and some patience (thinking about it now, a shoe lace might make it easier and mean that patience would not be required).  I think the hat was about £21 and the beer bottle thingy was around £7.  Given that I don't drink bottled beer normally it probably would have cost me more to make it than to buy it (though I might have got nicely pissed on the way) but I'm sure there are other things you could instead.

51 minutes ago, mandolin said:

I googled "tarp hat" and found (without difficulty, strangely enough) Tarphat.co.uk.  Have to admit that I got the beer bottle top ribbony thing from there too thinking it would be too difficult to make myself (I am not in the slightest bit creative) - but in honesty I think I could have done it with an awl, some cord and some patience (thinking about it now, a shoe lace might make it easier and mean that patience would not be required).  I think the hat was about £21 and the beer bottle thingy was around £7.  Given that I don't drink bottled beer normally it probably would have cost me more to make it than to buy it (though I might have got nicely pissed on the way) but I'm sure there are other things you could instead.

I wouldn't have known it was called a tarp hat!  Me and fashion do NOT go together  All sounds brill!  I hadn't even thought that you could buy something like the beer bottle decs - I just thought you had been creative!  I think I may have to join you - as long as you wouldn't mind the possibility of us being seen in the same hat (because of course it's going to happen in among 100,000 people.)

Assuming I get a ticket..........

Edited by Beerqueen

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I wouldn't have known it was called a tarp hat!  Me and fashion do NOT go together  All sounds brill!  I hadn't even thought that you could buy something like the beer bottle decs - I just thought you had been creative!  I think I may have to join you - as long as you wouldn't mind the possibility of us being seen in the same hat (because of course it's going to happen in among 100,000 people.)

Assuming I get a ticket..........

Really sorry, I wasn't clear.  I searched for "tarp hat" because people on here had recommended them - may have been earlier in this thread, may have been in another one.  Feel free to buy whatever hat takes your fancy (mine is a "floppy tarp" because I wanted one that would fold up) - if we do meet while wearing them we can greet each other like long lost friends.  Imagine the scene.  Walking through the market place (or wherever), both of us minding our own business, chatting away to whoever we are with.  We each spot the other's hat, we smile shyly, then remember we're at Glastonbury and race towards each other shouting "Beerqueen!" "Mandolin!"  We run towards each other and hug like we've known each other forever, everyone else looks at us like we're slightly crazy and then then remember that they are at Glastonbury too.   It already feels like a special moment and I like hugs.  Go for it!!!!!!!  (Unless all that has frightened you slightly in which case, sorry.  I'm not entirely sober,  But I'll do a lot for a hug :))

21 hours ago, mandolin said:

Really sorry, I wasn't clear.  I searched for "tarp hat" because people on here had recommended them - may have been earlier in this thread, may have been in another one.  Feel free to buy whatever hat takes your fancy (mine is a "floppy tarp" because I wanted one that would fold up) - if we do meet while wearing them we can greet each other like long lost friends.  Imagine the scene.  Walking through the market place (or wherever), both of us minding our own business, chatting away to whoever we are with.  We each spot the other's hat, we smile shyly, then remember we're at Glastonbury and race towards each other shouting "Beerqueen!" "Mandolin!"  We run towards each other and hug like we've known each other forever, everyone else looks at us like we're slightly crazy and then then remember that they are at Glastonbury too.   It already feels like a special moment and I like hugs.  Go for it!!!!!!!  (Unless all that has frightened you slightly in which case, sorry.  I'm not entirely sober,  But I'll do a lot for a hug :))

I think we have to do more than that and arrange a hat rendezvous (if I get a ticket).  Two middle aged women, with short hair and the same hat - it has to happen!  Of course your scenario would be far, far better!  So maybe a compromise - if your scenario hasn't happened by Sunday afternoon, we meet up!

23 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

thanks have done a new one for daytime wear , say hello if you see me flashing somewhere on site , there is a matching suit and wellies but they are to be revealed at the festival

IMG_1871.jpg

Is it just me, or is this a little bit like the artwork revealed earlier? Granted yours is more patterned but still!

53 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

I got my special hat at Cambridge Folk Festival. A teenage girl started dancing with my Dad, gave him it and we never saw her again.

He bestowed it upon me, as I shall do my son when the special day comes.

"Son, I've been dad-dancing age-inappropriately with that teenage girl for fucking ages now. I'm therefore passing on to you the hat. One day, when you are much older, you too shall dad-dance age-inappropriately in front of your own son with a teenage girl and shall pass on the hat in accordance with this fine inter-generational tradition"

10 minutes ago, Woffy said:

"Son, I've been dad-dancing age-inappropriately with that teenage girl for fucking ages now. I'm therefore passing on to you the hat. One day, when you are much older, you too shall dad-dance age-inappropriately in front of your own son with a teenage girl and shall pass on the hat in accordance with this fine inter-generational tradition"

Absolute poetry - it's like you were there!

*disclaimer: my Dad is not a pervy old man. Just jolly.

One of the first tasks of any Glastonbury is the purchase of some chairs... and see if you can negotiate a hat into the deal! Can't let the top of my head burn too much!!!

IMG_9534.JPG

26032013834.jpg

28062008079.jpg

20062007342.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg