James?

EIaine

Just had an email from See asking if, for the bargain price of £35, I want to upgrade my ticket to the special VIP package. "What does this package entail?" I hear you ask. Well...

- A unique opportunity to attend the band's 3 song soundcheck session
- 15 minute Q & A session (questions taken from audience after soundcheck)
- VIP exclusive gift
- VIP souvenir laminate to take home
- Priority early entry to the venue and access to the merch stall for an uncrowded shopping experience. 

I'd expect this shit from One Direction but fucking James?!? Jesus wept...

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just had an email from See asking if, for the bargain price of £35, I want to upgrade my ticket to the special VIP package. "What does this package entail?" I hear you ask. Well...

- A unique opportunity to attend the band's 3 song soundcheck session
- 15 minute Q & A session (questions taken from audience after soundcheck)
- VIP exclusive gift
- VIP souvenir laminate to take home
- Priority early entry to the venue and access to the merch stall for an uncrowded shopping experience. 

I'd expect this shit from One Direction but fucking James?!? Jesus wept...

That's actually mental.

I wouldn't mind the extra £35 if I hadn't already paid £50 per ticket.

I did it once some years ago (they're my favourite band) and the soundcheck was fun and the notepad was nice. But yeah not really worth it. Everyone is at it now though. Got a similar offer through for the Ben Folds tour. But then in many ways this is price we pay now: tickets, merch and ticket add-ons get pushed hugely because acts don't make money off record sales any more.

At least it's not paying for a "meet and greet" - bloody hate that - give us fifty quid to talk to us.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I bitterly regret not going to that. Amazing set list and no sit down!

No Sit Down or Laid (although I strongly suspect at least one will turn up on the Other). Not got round to getting the new album yet but the new material, which the set was heavy on, sounded great.

Sometimes was the highlight though, I haven't seen a crowd go that mad for a song since Tender in 09. Complete with several minutes of the crowd singing the chorus well after the band has stopped playing.

Did make me realise what a waste that 45 minute first thing on Friday morning set will be. Can they not do what the Kaiser Chiefs did and open the Other in the morning (playing all the hits) then headline the JP later with a longer, better set?

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

No Sit Down or Laid (although I strongly suspect at least one will turn up on the Other). Not got round to getting the new album yet but the new material, which the set was heavy on, sounded great.

Sometimes was the highlight though, I haven't seen a crowd go that mad for a song since Tender in 09. Complete with several minutes of the crowd singing the chorus well after the band has stopped playing.

Did make me realise what a waste that 45 minute first thing on Friday morning set will be. Can they not do what the Kaiser Chiefs did and open the Other in the morning (playing all the hits) then headline the JP later with a longer, better set?

I would deffo be up for them playing later on as well. Sometimes is utterly magical live. How were the acoustic numbers??

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can they not do what the Kaiser Chiefs did and open the Other in the morning (playing all the hits) then headline the JP later with a longer, better set?

I suppose given that they've got plenty of new material it's not out-with the realms of possibility. 

I would be all for a later James set, but not if it was gonna fall on the Friday. Would have been perfect for Sunday in the John Peel to finish off the weekend. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

@eastynh I'm not familiar with James outside of Sit Down and Laid. Looking at recent setlists on their own tour they're not playing either. Should I expect the same at Glastonbury or reckon they'll play a greatest hits sort of affair? Either way got any predictions for a setlist so I could make a playlist? 

Thanks

They are well on the mark in regards to festivals mate and will alter their set accordingly. 

They will play a crowd friendly selection with one or two off the new album. Would probably expect Movin On from the last one as well. Imo they will play both Laid and Sit Down at Glasto.

Have a listen to the singles (Fresh As A Daisy) or the greatest hits. 

Edited by eastynh

I'd have a look at some of the festival setlists from last summer:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james/2015/seaclose-park-newport-england-5bc93be0.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/james/2015/lowther-deer-park-penrith-england-23f64cc7.html

Something like those with one or two off the new album and without the tracks from the last album.

If you're making a playlist on Spotify just look up The Best of or Fresh as a Daisy for the greatest hits.

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

They are well on the mark in regards to festivals mate and will alter their set accordingly. 

They will play a crowd friendly selection with one or two off the new album. Would probably expect Movin On from the last one as well. Imo they will play both Laid and Sit Down at Glasto.

Have a listen to the singles (Fresh As A Daisy) or the greatest hits. 

I'm with you on this, I think a greatest hits set is not just in the interest of the crowd but also them as a band, high exposure to an absolute banging set could easily see a huge spike in album sales a la Lionel

Having seen these at the City Hall the other week, I still fail to see what the fuss is about.

Hats off to them for not pandering to the casuals mind, not that there was many of them... I've not seen a more obsessed set of die-hards at a gig in a long time, they're like a cult. Played pretty much the whole new album. 

Not for me though. 

14 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Having seen these at the City Hall the other week, I still fail to see what the fuss is about.

Hats off to them for not pandering to the casuals mind, not that there was many of them... I've not seen a more obsessed set of die-hards at a gig in a long time, they're like a cult. Played pretty much the whole new album. 

Not for me though. 

Just to say you're not alone as I've seen them a number of times during previous glasty performances.  There was a period where it seemed either they or hothouse flowers were a bit of a fixture.

Enjoyed them enough at the time, but not fussed enough about their new stuff to seek them out. 

Each to their own though and if plenty go and see them it means I can enjoy something else :) 

Bit disappointed that their recent setlists don't usually include Born of Frustration, bloody love that song. Guessing with a shorter set they definitely won't play it. New album is decent, Surfers Song the highlight thus far. 

Edited by PiratePete

1 hour ago, PiratePete said:

Bit disappointed that their recent setlists don't usually include Born of Frustration, bloody love that song. Guessing with a shorter set they definitely won't play it. New album is decent, Surfers Song the highlight thus far. 

They played BOF at Manchester Academy a few months ago and Delamere Forest last year. They are an extremely hard band to predict in regards to set lists.

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I reckon the only songs off the new album they'll play are girl at the end of the world and nothing but love. I dont mind either of them so I'll be content with that.

I think Nothing But Love is terrible, yet the band seem to love it more than the fans do.