James?

EIaine

27 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They played BOF at Manchester Academy a few months ago and Delamere Forest last year. They are an extremely hard band to predict in regards to set lists.

I shall live in hope... 

BOF and Hymn from a Village - too much to ask maybe? 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think Nothing But Love is terrible, yet the band seem to love it more than the fans do. 

didnt he say he thinks it's the best thing they've ever written, or something similar?

It sounds to me like they were trying a bit too hard to recreate the sound of their glory years. That being said, I think it's one of the better tracks on the album. 

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Having seen these at the City Hall the other week, I still fail to see what the fuss is about.

Hats off to them for not pandering to the casuals mind, not that there was many of them... I've not seen a more obsessed set of die-hards at a gig in a long time, they're like a cult. Played pretty much the whole new album. 

Not for me though. 

They do "Best Of" generic tours every 3 years or so. The last tour was the Girl At The End Of The World tour in which they played most of that album, which seems reasonable.

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Just to say you're not alone as I've seen them a number of times during previous glasty performances.  There was a period where it seemed either they or hothouse flowers were a bit of a fixture.

They played three times in the 90s but not been back for quite a while now

1 hour ago, PiratePete said:

Bit disappointed that their recent setlists don't usually include Born of Frustration, bloody love that song.

They played it at the third night in London this year.

13 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think Nothing But Love is terrible, yet the band seem to love it more than the fans do. 

I do like it but yeah, the band liking it so much puts me off somehow... it's not as good as they think it is...

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I have to admit I have a real soft spot for Nothing but Love. The new album is good, it actually gets better as it goes on. Catapult and Move Down South are great tunes too.

Expecting a very crowd friendly set, especially for that time of day. Laid, Sit Down, BOF will all get outings.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

sure I saw a setlist where they played it twice in one gig. Madness.

I was at that gig. To be fair, it was the first live outing for the new album, first 'proper' time with Adrian back replacing Larry and they hadn't rehearsed anything else. So when it came to a second encore they just played it again.

Just now, DeanoL said:

I was at that gig. To be fair, it was the first live outing for the new album, first 'proper' time with Adrian back replacing Larry and they hadn't rehearsed anything else. So when it came to a second encore they just played it again.

Ah fair enough, that makes sense. 

Anyway, I reckon they are confident enough about that song to open or close their set with it. I really hope they open with Laid though, and follow it with 2 more classics. The crowd at that time of day need to be grabbed from the start or it could fizzle out.

16 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Ah fair enough, that makes sense. 

Anyway, I reckon they are confident enough about that song to open or close their set with it. I really hope they open with Laid though, and follow it with 2 more classics. The crowd at that time of day need to be grabbed from the start or it could fizzle out.

They'll do the business. From what I've heard they generally tend to spend a good hour putting together and arguing over the setlist before a gig. As long as they get how tricky a slot it's going to be then they'll make the right call.

36 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I was there as well mate.

Nothing But Love reminds me as Restless by New Order. They seem to love that while the fans are generally not too bothered with it.

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I was gonna say Nothing but love and either Bitch or "born an asshole" (can't remember the title) as those two are quite upbeat. 

They've got an hour. Plenty of time for 2 new ones, one of Petite Mort and 8 or 9 from the 90s. Job done. (hopefully).

I think they'll do 2 and possibly even 3 from La Petite Mort, myself.  Curse, Curse is a given and likely Moving On but could easily play Frozen Britain or Gone Baby Gone too.

The only thing against that reasoning is they may not want to do more tracks off LPM than Girl, given it's their 'current' album, but I think they will.

I doubt they'll do Sit Down either but reckon they willl do Laid, Come Home (as opener), BoF and finish on Sometimes.

3 minutes ago, kaanypooch said:

Ive somehow never seen these so this is a definite band bucket list ticker for me. 

is this morning man/dchester slot going to be a regular then?  we've had beady eye, charlatans, now james. Mondays next year?

More of a 'Northern Monkey' slot as the Kaisers did 2014, so could well be Ride or Northside next year!

10 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

More of a 'Northern Monkey' slot as the Kaisers did 2014, so could well be Ride or Northside next year!

Think Northside have split again now, they don't have enough tunes for it anyway. Hopefully never the Mondays as their music is made for a tent/rave/later evening or night slot. Black Grape would be perfect for it though and with a new album due later this year, there could be a chance

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/d7t5nx/glastonbury-2016--James at Glastonbury 2016

BBC4 broadcasting half of the James set on Friday night. That is a first for the Other opener isn't it? Hopefully they will have the full set on iPlayer later on as well then. 

7 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/d7t5nx/glastonbury-2016--James at Glastonbury 2016

BBC4 broadcasting half of the James set on Friday night. That is a first for the Other opener isn't it? Hopefully they will have the full set on iPlayer later on as well then. 

God knows, but thank you for breaking me free from the weather thread.

Am really looking forward to this.... although setlist will be key.

The new album starts well, but limps to its end in my opinion. A couple of upbeat tracks then the hits would be great. Looking at recent setlists they are gonna have to cut a fair bit of the more recent material. 

Could be great!

were apparently on Jo Wiley saying they aren't gonna play Sit Down and are looking to showcase some of the new material as well as other older material. thought they were gonna open with Sit Down myself so that's a bit of a surprise (not that i'll be there, mind). got a feeling this could fall flat on it's arse if they're looking at it as a way to promote new stuff rather than play a greatest hits kind of set. leave out Laid and/or She's A Star as well and they've fucked it

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

were apparently on Jo Wiley saying they aren't gonna play Sit Down and are looking to showcase some of the new material as well as other older material. thought they were gonna open with Sit Down myself so that's a bit of a surprise (not that i'll be there, mind). got a feeling this could fall flat on it's arse if they're looking at it as a way to promote new stuff rather than play a greatest hits kind of set. leave out Laid and/or She's A Star as well and they've fucked it

Can't see this going down well, at IOW last year they started with sit down, surely an other stage opening set should be greatest hits heavy?

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah like James ever planned a setlist more than a day in advance...

• 1 month later...

Well then..,what did you all think? 

Despite everything - the delay, the mud, the weather, bloody Brexit, they pulled a blinder. 

It being Glasto my group knew how much it meant to me yet despite our nightmare getting in (turned away on Wednesday night and  having to kip in a hotel then the Thursday being a mission) they still got up early and stood by the fence with me on the Other Stage waiting for the late start. 

My missus can't stand James, particularly Tim Booth's intense style, but even she thought his efforts worthy of praise. Friends who knew only Laid and Sit Down loved the new stuff - 'Attention" was a big favourite and "Moving On" hit home with someone who'd had a recent loss. 

For me, the idiot in a vest (while everyone else had waterproofs) and dancing with a big smiley emoji someone had handed me (on the iplayer for all to see and sorry if I pissed off anyone nearby) it was a dream come true. "Sometimes" was great, they played "Tomorrow" not "Ring The Bells"  but given the bog I was dancing in that may have been better for me and they just about had enough classics without making me feel the new album was being pushed too much. 

Of all the classics, "Come Home" got people going and "Gettng Away With It" (after the albeit successful mis-start with Curse, Curse) was a Smiths style singalong a-love in, but it was "Out To Get You" (with a bit of a Saul's indie-fiddle solo - would have loved another minute of that) that hit home for me.

Ultimately it was the crowd-loving band that made it work. Recently Tim Booth has said he only does his walkabouts and crowd surfing when their's trust between him and the audience. It's testimant to Glastonbury that despite all that happened in the run-up to their opening set, the trust, love, respect and enthusiasm was there, in spades, on both sides of the stage. 

Nothing but love. 

Wouid love to hear your thoughts 

9 hours ago, PaulieV said:

Well then..,what did you all think? 

Despite everything - the delay, the mud, the weather, bloody Brexit, they pulled a blinder. 

It being Glasto my group knew how much it meant to me yet despite our nightmare getting in (turned away on Wednesday night and  having to kip in a hotel then the Thursday being a mission) they still got up early and stood by the fence with me on the Other Stage waiting for the late start. 

My missus can't stand James, particularly Tim Booth's intense style, but even she thought his efforts worthy of praise. Friends who knew only Laid and Sit Down loved the new stuff - 'Attention" was a big favourite and "Moving On" hit home with someone who'd had a recent loss. 

For me, the idiot in a vest (while everyone else had waterproofs) and dancing with a big smiley emoji someone had handed me (on the iplayer for all to see and sorry if I pissed off anyone nearby) it was a dream come true. "Sometimes" was great, they played "Tomorrow" not "Ring The Bells"  but given the bog I was dancing in that may have been better for me and they just about had enough classics without making me feel the new album was being pushed too much. 

Of all the classics, "Come Home" got people going and "Gettng Away With It" (after the albeit successful mis-start with Curse, Curse) was a Smiths style singalong a-love in, but it was "Out To Get You" (with a bit of a Saul's indie-fiddle solo - would have loved another minute of that) that hit home for me.

Ultimately it was the crowd-loving band that made it work. Recently Tim Booth has said he only does his walkabouts and crowd surfing when their's trust between him and the audience. It's testimant to Glastonbury that despite all that happened in the run-up to their opening set, the trust, love, respect and enthusiasm was there, in spades, on both sides of the stage. 

Nothing but love. 

Wouid love to hear your thoughts 

I could not be arsed waiting.