ticket price confirmed - £228

5co77ie

Not a hope I would either but the point is escalation of prices. U2 get away with crazy prices this tour, Muse try their luck at £75, Madonna etc charging similar. Glasto are only charging the going market rate really when you consider the amount of bands you could see.

Its up to people who care about this sort of thing (a lot of people don't) to at the very least refuse to buy a ticket. Best case scenario is what the Italians did for Barbra Streisand and protest the scandalous prices for exactly the reasons stated above and get the gig cancelled. "Fuck you, your greed isn't going to make our future more expensive" sort of thing.

And they did. Hence Muse tickets are £75 for the London dates and £39 (54 euro) for the Milan shows. Same for most shows in Italy. They're nearly always a lot cheaper. Exact same show, same musicians, same road crew, same setlist, same production, half the price?! Hmmm....

Yeah, and I must admit even my beloved Nick cave charges obscene prices (fifty quid plus), and I do pay it so I suppose I am part of the problem. It's hard to boycott things you love.

The only time I've paid top dollar is for Leonard cohen, and I justified it because all the musicians in the band are world leading artists in their own right. I don't think you can say the same about the drummer or the bass player in muse!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this not say more about the venues in this country overpricing the bands to play rather than the bands overpricing the fans though?

They're all interlinked. The bands, touring companies, Livenation, T-Bastard etc. I don't think the O2 are setting the £181.50 prices for U2 for example. Bands need to stand up for their fans. And if they don't, fans need to stand up for themselves to protect the market and ultimately their future enjoyment.

Using U2 as an example I find it insulting and counter-productive. Insulting that they're happy to charge people that amount (even though Bono is a billionaire) and counter-productive because the yoof can't afford to see the band live. They're 100% a heritage act with no relevance to todays music scene or culture. Willingly pricing themselves out of the younger/poorer gig going market in favour of a load of big event whores and sad old 1-gig-a-decade gits.

Was really awful hearing about all the kids who were gutted they couldn't afford tickets for U2. Or even worse, the people who got through to the purchasing page but only had had the option of the expensive tickets and had to refuse them. U2 are utterly irrelevant. Muse going that way too.

Investing in a band, buying the music and merch and when they're finally coming to your town you're basically told to fuck off. How many 16 and 17 year olds can afford 185 quid concert tickets?! Does pricing them out of seeing the ban d live make them a bigger fan or turn them off?

But there will always be people like Madonna who say things like "work all year, save and buy a ticket to my show, I'm worth it."

I think thats an actual quote.

On the flipside, there are always well established great bands who stay relevant and have a scene around them, like Wilco. Tickets for their US tour starting at £19 and the most expensive is £30.

cant fault £228 really when I think how it was £80 at the Gibraltar music festival a 2day event, clearly MUCH smaller in comparison,

less stages, less bands - if anyone didn't know, Glastonbury itself is bigger than Gib, both in size and the number of people that go to glasto is well way more than live here, I understand as it's smaller they prob have to charge more for the few decent acts they get - but still, expensive in comparison :)

~30,000 live here !

But there will always be people like Madonna who say things like "work all year, save and buy a ticket to my show, I'm worth it."

Amazing how these "artists" can treat people the way they do and still pull crowds, you'd think any self respecting fan with a flicker of intelligence would tell them to f**k off not the other way around.

There was a case a few years of a popular local ska punk band [spunge] that when I asked the singer why they wern't playing in the town anymore he said the town hall started charging too much for them and other bands to play therefore pricing all of the local out of town.

II am little annoyed that it's only 50p extra to go from Leeds (comparing to Sheffield) It's 35 miles difference.. I really don't get the pricing of SEECoaches. It makes little sense to me how it's priced. I guess they make a healthy profit of it though!

Brighton/Southampton are the same price and they're like 60 miles apart! 

Have the coach ticket prices stayed the same? Am sure Bham return was £49.50 last year. same as this.

50p increase.

The full list of departure towns/cities and prices in 2015 for each route are:

Bristol (single £20 / return £33)

London (single £39 / return £52.50)

Bath (return £31)

Birmingham (return £49)

Brighton (return £52)

Cambridge (return £68.50)

Cardiff (return £39)

Edinburgh (return £105)

Glasgow (return £105)

Leeds (return £64)

Leicester (return £50.50)

Lincoln (return £63)

Liverpool (return £62)

Manchester (return £62)

Newcastle (£84.50)

Norwich (return £71.50)

Nottingham (return £61)

Oxford (return £47)

Plymouth (return £41)

Preston (return £67)

Reading (return £48)

Sheffield (return £65)

Southampton (return £52)

Stoke (return £55.50)

Swansea (return £40)

Swindon (return £46)

Taunton (return £37)

Truro (return £49)

York (return £76)

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140915b.shtml#4FhhTtXdzt2DuMK7.99

II am little annoyed that it's only 50p extra to go from Leeds (comparing to Sheffield) It's 35 miles difference.. I really don't get the pricing of SEECoaches. It makes little sense to me how it's priced. I guess they make a healthy profit of it though!

They sub-contract their coaches out to private coach hire companies, these companies then give their quote.

So even though the buses may be going from Sheffield & Leeds, they could be going from a company with a depot big enough to handle the demand which is based halfway between either city.

I'm not complaining, £1 extra to go from Swansea compared to Cardiff - that's 40 miles!

Its phenomenal value for what you get, if I add up what I saw there is would come to a lot more than the value of seeing those acts individually and that doesn't even take into account the other 98% there that I didn't get to see.

That said £228 is still a lot of money, If somebody offers you a brand new Ferrari for £20k then if you haven't got the money it doesn't matter how much of a bargain it is.

I don't think you can complain about an £8 increase though, you can tell from the price of carpark tickets that everybody around the festival is probably putting a massive squeeze on them so if the price didn't go up they would be going backwards.

They sub-contract their coaches out to private coach hire companies, these companies then give their quote.

So even though the buses may be going from Sheffield & Leeds, they could be going from a company with a depot big enough to handle the demand which is based halfway between either city.

I'm not complaining, £1 extra to go from Swansea compared to Cardiff - that's 40 miles!

Aye, having got the coach for the last couple of years I'm always a little shocked when a bus company from Bristol turns up in Sheffield... That's why I'm not sure how the coach is any greener then a car?

Aye, having got the coach for the last couple of years I'm always a little shocked when a bus company from Bristol turns up in Sheffield... That's why I'm not sure how the coach is any greener then a car?

Well because it's only one vehicle as opposed to 20 odd, admittedly likely churning out more emissions than a car but probably not equivalent to 20. I take your point though.