Pyramid Headliners That Nailed It

st dan

After the mixed reactions of all three acts this year, who are the acts that the vast majority agree got it spot on in years gone by? The only ones that spring to mind for me are:

David Bowie '00

Radiohead '03

Blur '09

Stevie Wonder '10 (?)

Obviously there'll always be mixed reactions from playing to so many people, but it's surprising how few are critically acclaimed!

i'd say the Stones nailed it. we were all expecting a bit of a train wreck on here if i remember correctly but it was as far away from that as could be. a real 'fucking hell i can't believe i'm here seeing this right now' set

Ahhhh yeah The Stones of course, can't believe I forgot them!! Don't think that will ever, ever be beaten to be honest.

In the minority here probably but the Stones did not nail it for me

Despite my near violent dislike for the Who I wandered up as I'd not caught a Pyramid headliner and wanted to enjoy the big spectacle.  The Stones went down a million times better.  30 minutes into The Who and 1/4 of the crowd just upped and left, by halfway through the set I reckon 1/3 to 1/2 the crowd had gone.

So in comparison, I reckon the stones nailed it.  

Most surprisingly, Coldplay in 2011 seemed to get very widely well received.

They just got it right that night.  The running order, the lasers and projections, the fireworks....everything a pyramid show needs at the end of the night, done as well as anyone could do it.  Considering it was Coldplay that was still one of the best nights I have had in that field.

Not sure Kanye can't be put into the universally acclaimed 'nailed it' category because of the sheer split in opinion (in fact he'd win the most 'divisive' headliner in recent times I reckon in terms of performance and reaction) both on site and here. Didn't see it myself, but rarely have I seen such a lack of indifference for a headliner. It was either 'shit' or 'incredible'. 

Huge difference between the Stones and the Who last night, which I sort of expected. The Who were kind of going through the motions, which was still a good show, but it lacked the spectacle. The Stones were excellent that night, both in musicianship and performance, and it felt like an event too. 

Since I've been going, only two have 'nailed it' for me - Stones and Stevie Wonder. Arcade Fire came close, but I think it was just lacking something, still not sure what yet though... Gutted I've missed some, Blur '09 especially. 

Edited by GlastoSimon

Not sure Kanye can't be put into the 'nailed it' category because of the sheer split in opinion (in fact he'd win the most 'divisive' headliner in recent times I reckon in terms of performance and reaction) both on site and here. Didn't see it myself, but rarely have I seen such a lack of indifference for a headliner. It was either 'shit' or 'incredible'.

I was going off my opinion really. I had nothing more to add to the universally acclaimed acts.

I was going off my opinion really. I had nothing more to add to the universally acclaimed acts.

Nah I saw the 'based on what I've seen bit' and realised - was really interested in how it would go down with people though and I wasn't disappointed, will have to watch on iPlayer!

I think Kanye can't be considered a big success imo.

I think basically everyone has said...

'Start was brilliant, middle was awful, and the end was good, but was pretty boring overall', to be considered a success, yet alone 'nailing it', they've got to be 100% spot on throughout, which he wasn't. I saw 6-7 songs, and bailed, feels like the right move (I was enjoying it, but i prefered the Mothership!).

Kanye had a huge opportunity to showcase that he is actually the biggest rockstar in the world he claimed on Saturday, but his ego got in the way, a few special guests would have made it memorable, but then again, why would Kanye share a stage? Why would he talk to the crowd and get them involved? He's still a Multi-Millionaire, and he's headlined Glastonbury, he can leave knowing that regardless of it being good or bad, he's still a millionaire, and still will get rave reviews from the media kiss arsed like NME.

Stones, REM, Radiohead, Blur and Pulp seem the obvious ones here!

From what I've seen I'd say REM and Radiohead in 2003, Blur 2009, Stevie 2010, Coldplay 2011, Stones 13. Which only leaves The Who this year, U2 and Beyonce who didn't (and the latter just gets marked down for Tricky and a couple of shonky covers). Out of 9 I've seen 6 were spot on