The National

Zoo Music Girl

13 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Alt J can only do Saturday due to German festivals. BBK just been announced for Sunday. Not sure, but I think Major Lazer self confirmed Friday a couple of days ago, but if not that's all that's left now. 

Cheers! Now that wasn't so hard was it? :P

I know, I know, "that's what she said"

4 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

My thought today is that they will get a 75 minute other stage sub slot.

I cant see Biffy, Katy Perry & The XX not being the pyramid subs.

I doubt The National have seemingly avoided playing Glastonbury for seven years (despite being in the area) only to sub one of Major Lazer, Alt-J or Boy Better Know. If they ain't headlining Other outright then they're on the Pyramid for sure, and more than likely subbing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I doubt The National have seemingly avoided playing Glastonbury for seven years (despite being in the area) only to sub one of Major Lazer, Alt-J or Boy Better Know. If they ain't headlining Other outright then they're on the Pyramid for sure, and more than likely subbing.

See I find it hard myself to believe they will only get an other sub slot particularly as like you says they've seemed so elusive. 

However if we think we have the other headliners in BBK, Alt J & Major Lazer then I think The XX, Biffy & Katy Perry are very likely to be the pyramid subs.. can we really see any of them not being pyramid subs? 

Which for me puts The National 3rd down pyramid (which they seem way to high on the poster for) or Other stage sub but with a longer set that the actual headliner like Pixies and others have received in previous years. 

Just now, Anderson19 said:

See I find it hard myself to believe they will only get an other sub slot particularly as like you says they've seemed so elusive. 

However if we think we have the other headliners in BBK, Alt J & Major Lazer then I think The XX, Biffy & Katy Perry are very likely to be the pyramid subs.. can we really see any of them not being pyramid subs? 

Which for me puts The National 3rd down pyramid (which they seem way to high on the poster for) or Other stage sub but with a longer set that the actual headliner like Pixies and others have received in previous years. 

Although I know they're not nearly on the same level as her we've had the likes of Ellie Goulding, Lana Del Rey, Paloma Faith, Shakira etc all take third/fourth down Pyramid slots the past few years, so although she may seem way too big for it after having looked over the lineup poster I honestly think she'll receive similar treatment. Like has been said, she's probably too big to even sub, so what difference does down one more place make, especially when it removes any major clashes and pretty much guarantees her one of the biggest crowds of the weekend? Her music is perfect for the daytime anyway and they've talked about squeezing more big acts in - I think this is a prime example of what they were talking about.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although I know they're not nearly on the same level as her we've had the likes of Ellie Goulding, Lana Del Rey, Paloma Faith, Shakira etc all take third/fourth down Pyramid slots the past few years, so although she may seem way too big for it after having looked over the lineup poster I honestly think she'll receive similar treatment. Like has been said, she's probably too big to even sub, so what difference does down one more place make, especially when it removes any major clashes and pretty much guarantees her one of the biggest crowds of the weekend? Her music is perfect for the daytime anyway and they've talked about squeezing more big acts in - I think this is a prime example of what they were talking about.

Throwing my hat in with this theory. 100%. I don't really think Katy Perry is a sub, not because of size but just seems like a daytime booking to me. Arguably better exposure/crowd for her too.

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If the poster's in order they're the Saturday sub before Foos. Which makes more churn sense than Biffy before Foos. But Biffy could be a foos request??? 

The poster's never in order, though, is it?

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The poster's never in order, though, is it?

The headliners and subs have seemingly been in the right order for at least the last two years so not impossible that this years is the same, even if it does seem weird. No way are The National gonna sub Ed though - they wouldn't stand a chance and it'll be bad enough having them before Foos.

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The headliners and subs have seemingly been in the right order for at least the last two years so not impossible that this years is the same, even if it does seem weird. No way are The National gonna sub Ed though - they wouldn't stand a chance and it'll be bad enough having them before Foos.

Tame Impala was before Adele. That was difficult enough to enjoy with all them mainstreamers around.

I have a theory that the sunset slot on the Pyramid isn't quite what it was? Changing demogpraphic and too many people chatting waiting for big act.

I'm probably wrong and just getting old, but I used to love a decent band on that slot, these days I'd rather they were on elsewhere.

Just now, Yokel Again said:

I have a theory that the sunset slot on the Pyramid isn't quite what it was? Changing demogpraphic and too many people chatting waiting for big act.

I'm probably wrong and just getting old, but I used to love a decent band on that slot, these days I'd rather they were on elsewhere.

Aye I feel the same - sub slots seem to be very hard to nail these days. Like was mentioned earlier, even stuff like Foals playing before Muse, which they should've nailed, manage to flounder due in part to an uninterested crowd. People just seem to be happy to waste a few hours at an act they don't like/know just to get a good spot for the headliner. Seems baffling to me considering how much other stuff they'd have on at that time on the other stages.

6 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Definitely not, infact I'd say it's the worst slot to go and watch especially when it's a band you really want to see. Crowd at the pyramid is just awful at that time of day especially on the Sunday. 

19 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

It's also worth mentioning that it's not really the same slot that it was a few years ago.. The curfew on the Pyramid is earlier than it used to be, and they now usually have an hour changeover before the headliner, so the combination of those means that the act playing 2nd from top plays about an hour earlier than they would have 10+ years ago.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

The National have a much more rabid fan base than Foals tbf so I think they'd be alright as a sub headliner.

Nah I'd have thought Foals would definitely have a more rabid fanbase at a UK festival like Glastonbury (especially on before Muse). The National on before Radiohead would be alright but them on before Foos seems unlikely to be a success story.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nah I'd have thought Foals would definitely have a more rabid fanbase at a UK festival like Glastonbury (especially on before Muse). The National on before Radiohead would be alright but them on before Foos seems unlikely to be a success story.

I know a lot of Foals fans, but none of them are massively in to them to the same extent as fans of The National. Foals are a band that people get excited about when they're touring a new record. I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule, mind.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I know a lot of Foals fans, but none of them are massively in to them to the same extent as fans of The National. Foals are a band that people get excited about when they're touring a new record. I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule, mind.

But there are a lot more of them.

edit: I thought this added something to the discussion but it doesn't. My bad. :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, jparx said:

But do you really think there's that big of a crossover between Foos and National fans at a Glastonbury show? :P There may be a fair share of National fans there, but there'll be an even more rabid crowd of hardcore Foos fans looking to get up front.