The National

Zoo Music Girl

Why are we so sure Biffy are below Foos?  To me that's the most uninspired one two.  Even more so than The National subbing Radiohead.  They're just too similar.  I vote  Biffy for the Cave slot.  They could handle it and do have a couple of tunes the Radio1 kids will know.  The National below Foos and XX on Fri.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

Just now, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Why are we so sure Biffy are below Foos?  To me that's the most uninspired one two.  Even more so than The National subbing Radiohead.  They're just too similar.  I vote  Biffy for the Cave slot.  They could handle it and do have a couple of tunes the Radio1 kids will know.  The National below Foos and XX on Fri.

We're not, and if the poster running order is to be believed (which some are doing) then it'll pan out the way you say, and I agree on Biffy being able to handle that slot. Even if they've dropped off a little they're still by far the biggest sub the festival has had to my recollection and will pull a huge crowd of their own fans as well as all the Sheeran fans that show up to get down front.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Katie Perry clashes with Toots and the Maytals / Avalanches / Solange due to this shower of fusty, crypt-voice jakeys with their songs about dead goddamn grannies I'll blow a bloody fuse.

You say that but they used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders 

1. They're not touring - they won't coming over from America to play a one off 3rd slot on the bill.
2. They have it plastered all over their social media and website, they are not treating this as a run of the mill festival slot.
3. They're second line from top on the poster.

I know there's sources of other stage headliners already, but my guess is still firmly on them up against Ed.

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

1. They're not touring - they won't coming over from America to play a one off 3rd slot on the bill.
2. They have it plastered all over their social media and website, they are not treating this as a run of the mill festival slot.
3. They're second line from top on the poster.

I know there's sources of other stage headliners already, but my guess is still firmly on them up against Ed.

Or just, y'know, in the more prominent and prestigious Pyramid sub slot?

Just now, FrancisH said:

Yeah or that, but not 3rd down, amazed that's getting traction as a suggestion. Just my take on it.

Aye they ain't playing third down that's for sure. Even if they do get stuck beneath Foos and have a not so responsive crowd, I can't see them having agreed to do this unless they're getting a big slot with a lot of coverage.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Or just, y'know, in the more prominent and prestigious Pyramid sub slot?

The National Biffy and The XX in that order. The National agree to play and maybe they are only doing it due to Radiohead making an appearance again after so long. It'll look a bit lacking I think if Biffy don't split them up. I think it's been Lorde and RB to be 3rd and Other Stage sub buy they will need something heavier 3rd Friday but both RB and Katy in a different way can do that.

Doesn't all of that also apply to K-Pez though....?

If she was a headliner, I don't think anyone would be that confused. So regarding her, it seems to be a bit of anyone's guess. 

Doesn't all of that also apply to K-Pez though....?

I guess, but she hasn't been seemingly avoiding the festival for the past few years and isn't a traditional festival booking - think she'd be more willing to play the festival at all than to demand a higher position (just my take on it though - we'll see).

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Not really because she is already over here anyway has lost a bit of momentum the last few years.

Even with lost momentum she's a substantially bigger deal than Grandpa Munster and the lads.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

But her massive commercial hits are ideal for an afternoon pyramid crowd. Especially one who's just been dancing away to Nile or the gibster. Bazz KPizz Biffy Ed makes sense from a mainstream point of view. 

If that's how it pans out then happy days.  I've got the fear about the Saturday.

Right, so if The National end up as Pyramid sub where is the best place to stand to have a bit of atmosphere rather than be surrounded by people chatting/sitting on chairs + blankets/facing the wrong way/waiting for the main act?  

I've been stung too many times at the Pyramid by the unresponsive or disrespectful crowds (Vampire Weekend, Last Shadow Puppets, Jack White, Kanye West) and I've tried lots of different spots.

Any tips?

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

But her massive commercial hits are ideal for an afternoon pyramid crowd. Especially one who's just been dancing away to Nile or the gibster. Bazz KPizz Biffy Ed makes sense from a mainstream point of view. 

Matt mumbling about how all the wine is all for him less so. 

He would be like the awkward drunk uncle that nobody invited to the family reunion. 

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even with lost momentum she's a substantially bigger deal than Grandpa Munster and the lads.

Very much so which is why getting everyone that would want to see her clash free from the top two is ideal. She is also the best placed one to bang an hour set out in the sunshine whereas I'm less confident of The National for that and Biffy obviously are going to sub.

3 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Right, so if The National end up as Pyramid sub where is the best place to stand to have a bit of atmosphere rather than be surrounded by people chatting/sitting on chairs + blankets/facing the wrong way/waiting for the main act?  

I've been stung too many times at the Pyramid by the unresponsive or disrespectful crowds (Vampire Weekend, Last Shadow Puppets, Jack White, Kanye West) and I've tried lots of different spots.

Any tips?

Inside the barrier

9 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Any tips?

I was right down the front for nick cave in 2013 and it was absolutely tremendous. But looking back on telly everything from about 5 rows back looked dire! 

But I think the national will be a bit more popular than cave, so anywhere inside the barrier should be decent

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Loving the fact that, in essence, arguing/guessing where the National are going to play has now taken over at least three threads on here! 

All they have to is announce a warm up show and we can all sleep easier. 

Hmm my mate was at the front for Tame Impala last year and reckoned it was dead.

Also, on them playing the Cave slot, I reckon he gives less of a shit about where he plays than The National. Probably relishes the challenge of an uninterested crowd. Given that they've allegedly been fussy about where they play in the past, I can't see them subbing Ed. I'm going with subbing Foos.

Not sure if they get any say, but Radiohead seem to go for dancier/electronic support acts these days, so The xx fit that bill far better.