Nick Cave

Midnight Man

20 quid to see a film? Bloody hell. Mind you, reckon it'll be fun.

But up here for that money, you get a mug of tea, chips and gravy, and as much steak as your whippet can eat.

Just to clarify Carlos' post, the chips and gravy aren't in the mug with the tea. I know some of you London types would think we-d do that but we're posh and would put the chips and gravy on a plate or in a bowl. Or a takeaway carton if we were on a date.

If you pulled the chips from the tea that would be fine. In London everything's 'pulled' these days. Or drunk out of a jam jar.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

after months (scratch that - a year, since last years festival) of putting it off, i finally got round to properly delving into Nick Cave's back catalogue today. only listened to three albums (Henry's Dream, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus and Push The Sky Away) but intend to spend the rest of the foreseeable future listening to all of his albums until i get sick of him. can't believe it's taken me this long. just choosing which albums to listen to first was the biggest ordeal - these three seemed like some of the more accessible ones

Welcome to the greatest thread on the internet.

May I humbly recommend tender prey and let love in next?

Though it doesn't really matter where you go, he hasn't made a bad album

i searched for 'best Nick Cave album' but every single site i found had a totally different number one (or top ten, twenty etc). those were the two i planned on listening to next as they always seems to be near the top of the lists. always so daunting to me when an act has a huge back catalogue so i tend to avoid listening but i always had this nagging in my head that it'd be a big mistake to avoid Nick Cave. how right that nagging was

If I'm tackling the discography of any artist I always just listen to the artist's albums in chronological order. People always recommend the best album to start off with then anywhere from there, which is usually shite because you're then just filling in the gaps. Not with Nick Cave however; ridiculously strong back catalogue.

I love Nocturama. But not to start with. That run of albums from Henrys Dream via Let Love In through to Nocturama is just fucking amazing. Not a bad album there. Bit iffy before and since, but fuck me, what a purple patch that was

Welcome to the fold, FloorFiller. Another vote for Tender Prey here and Let Love In is cracking, but personally I'd go to No More Shall We Part after that.

Nocturama is fine too. Bit subtle for Scruffy's tastes.

No more shall we part is my personal favourite cave album

You think it's better than abattoir blues and push the sky? You're weird.

Hehehe, like that's news?

Nope, I just can't get on with either of them. In particular, Push the sky. Dunno why but it bores me witless. It's too, I dunno, mannered, I guess. Just doesn't grab me.

Sorry

I think Nick Cave has to be one of the most consistent artist having 15 great albums. The only two I don't really like are Nocturama and Kicking against the pricks (covers album). I'd say Let Love in is the staple Nick Cave album. From Her to Eternity is possibly a classic also. A lot say Boatman's Call is one of his best too but for me though a great album feels more like a solo album. Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of the Orpheus is the best of his more modern albums. Tender Prey/ The Good Son is maybe Cave at his peek.

I've tried putting my favourite Nick Cave and the Bad seeds albums in order

1.Let Love In

2.From Her To Eternity

3.Tender Prey

4.Abbotoir Blues/ The Lyre of the Orpheus

5.The Good Son

6.Murder Ballads

7.Boatman's Call

8.Henry's Dream

9.Your Funeral My Trail

10.Dig Lazarus Dig

11.No More Shall we Part

12.Push the Sky Away

13.The Firstborn Is Dead

14.Kick Against the Pricks

15.Nocturama

My favourites change every week though, those are just which mean more to me.

Interested to know which is every else's top 15 albums by the Cave, not including live albums, bet everyone has different ones. Maybe there should be a vote.

Edited by mgc07

Hehehe, like that's news?

Nope, I just can't get on with either of them. In particular, Push the sky. Dunno why but it bores me witless. It's too, I dunno, mannered, I guess. Just doesn't grab me.

Sorry

I agree really about push the sky, especially after seeing quite a few of the songs live, when they were so much better. I hardly ever play it now, and when I do I skip a fair few.

I have bootlegs that are much better so listen to them if I want to hear the songs, and the jubilee street from the Glastonbury rip is better than the album version by a mile

Edited by russycarps

I think Nick Cave has to be one of the most consistent artist having 15 great albums. The only two I don't really like are Nocturama and Kicking against the pricks (covers album). I'd say Let Love in is the staple Nick Cave album. From Her to Eternity is possibly a classic also. A lot say Boatman's Call is one of his best too but for me though a great album feels more like a solo album. Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of the Orpheus is the best of his more modern albums. Tender Prey/ The Good Son is maybe Cave at his peek.

I've tried putting my favourite Nick Cave and the Bad seeds albums in order

1.Let Love In

2.From Her To Eternity

3.Tender Prey

4.Abbotoir Blues/ The Lyre of the Orpheus

5.The Good Son

6.Murder Ballads

7.Boatman's Call

8.Henry's Dream

9.Your Funeral My Trail

10.Dig Lazarus Dig

11.No More Shall we Part

12.Push the Sky Away

13.The Firstborn Is Dead

14.Kick Against the Pricks

15.Nocturama

My favourites change every week though, those are just which mean more to me.

Interested to know which is every else's top 15 albums by the Cave, not including live albums, bet everyone has different ones. Maybe there should be a vote.

Agree with a lot of that, a disagree with a lot too!

This will be my task for tomorrow at work then, though I never really count kicking against the pricks as a proper album. The b side one should maybe considered though...

I agree entirely with this. Used to be mildly obsessed with that album.

I love Push The Sky Away though and would probably put it in my top five.

well we are all going to be doing our "top 15" lists so let's see if you are really able to place it that highly when it comes to the crunch....

Oh how I love "top album" lists, reminds me of the radiohead thread.

Edited by russycarps