Nick Cave

Midnight Man

Those O'Malley's Bar things are mostly tiny snippets of a few seconds or so. Some of them are quite funny.

Anyway, Disc 3 is where it's at. These songs are all incredible:

• Little Empty Boat
  • Come Into My Sleep
  • Babe, I Got You Bad
  • Sheep May Safely Graze
  • Opium Tea
  • Grief Came Riding
  • Good Good Day
  • Shoot Me Down
  • Swing Low
  • Little Ghost Song
  • Everything Must Converge
  • Nocturama
  • Under This Moon

Then I love Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum, the acoustic versions of Deanna, City of Refuge, Jack the Ripper and Mercy Seat, Tower Of Song, The Girl At The Bottom Of My Glass, Train Song, God’s Hotel, (I’ll Love You) Till The End Of The World... I could go on.

This album has a really special place in my heart, listened to nothing else for weeks.

It's flipping ace isnt it. Plus it's got a much better version of where the wild roses grow than the crappy kylie version..

I also love the running scared cover (I know it's on the kicking against the pricks album, but I never play that. though I do love by the time I get to phoenix on there)

Ranking band members is a bit much even for me! I'll admit I'm not too hot on which personnel was around when so I'd need to do some research first. Warren Ellis is my favourite, though, followed by Blixa and then probably Mick? Or Conway? Hmmm.... Then I get a bit lost.

Yeah, Running Scared is well good.

Also, page 100 motherfuckers.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Bloody lightweight part timers.

Is this like 'infinite monkeys on keyboards will write Hamlet' and your phone is making sense?

My lightweight contribution is the Beard. Ellis' hirsute contribution takes my focus away from any band member's musical contribution.

And what is it with the general meh over Babe, I'm on fire in the lists? Cracking 15 minutes of mania. I built up stamina with Bob Dylan songs though.

hehehehe, I fucking love this thread. Been in Moscow for the weekend, come back and find it's descended to new levels of lunacy, ranking the band members. You fucking people.

BTW Barry Adamason is great, some of his solo stuff is top fucking notch.

And yeah, I put Babe I'm on Fire in my list back there.

You're just jealous cos I was a latecomer to cave's genius but now I've overtaken you in my madness. you wish you'd thought of it first.

By the way, remember that uncut special on cave from a few months ago? Well the Tom waits equivalent went on sale last week if anyone's interested.

mmHgscop that

ohh nice, ta for that!

oh yeah, and Dylan's Down in The Groove? Not as bad as I'd feared. Not painful to listen to. Ramshackle, choatic and pretty ordinary in many ways, but not actually as awful as popular opinion would have you believe.

I also read that when he started touring that album, Neil Young, who was going through a rough patch, went on the road as a guitarist in Dylan's band. Can't imagine that happening now

A lot of his 80s stuff is like that. Not amazing, but not as bad as you remember.

Neil young, however was pretty terrible around then. Just started getting good again probably after that Dylan tour so it worked.

suOut

Yeah think I'm going to dig out some more of my 80s Dylan. Think I've got street legal, infidels etc somewhere. Time to revisit them

Edited by Mardy

stop polluting this thread with all this dylan nonsense!

Bob dylan can only dream of the consistency of nick cave. Sure he wrote some nice ditties decades ago but that's it. His recent stuff, and performances, are fucking dreadful

What he said.

Also, this thread will outlive Nick Cave even if he does live forever. I know that's not possible but imagine the tributes!

Was talking to the fella in the secondhand record shop about Nick Cave vinyl this morning. He properly did that sceptical whislting through his mouth noise that people do when you ask 'em how much it'll cost to fix your car/ roof/ boiler/ botched penis extension operation.

Anyway, came away with a pile of other stuff, but the ZMG/RC police won't let me mention them, probly.

How worth is it getting kicking against the pricks? Found it on vinyl fifteen quid. Is it better than your average covers album?

tinytiny. X

I'm probably not the best person to answer as I dislike cover songs at the best of times, but it's ok, though it always feels to me like it should be better than it is. Songs like hey joe and all tomorrows parties should be ace, but they arent particularly special I dont think. Meh I dunno, £15 is quite a lot. It's definitely not a bad album though, and there are some crackers on there.

Anyway, came away with a pile of other stuff, but the ZMG/RC police won't let me mention them, probly.

You can mention them, so long as you end the post with "but none of it is as good as nick cave" or something equally sappy.

Edited by russycarps

Russy I agree. I don't mind a cover song but don't like cover albums as a rule hence my question. Anyway our lass was texting me saying she'd seen it and did I have it when I asked the question. She then text me asking what is the grinderman. You know russy like enter the sandman?

Anyway she ordered me grinderman instead. I love her to bits sometimes.

Makes.xjars

bless her. By way of thanks play no pussy blues for her when it arrives, dancing wearing only your underpants.

She'll be putty in your hands

Edited by russycarps