Nick Cave

Midnight Man

in fact, if I dig out my Nick Cave ones and anyone wants them, you're welcome to them

Obviously the obsessives on here will have everything already, but for anyone who's new and just dipping a toe into the water of Nick Cave, I'll happily send them out

Edited by Mardy

in fact, if I dig out my Nick Cave ones and anyone wants them, you're welcome to them

Obviously the obsessives on here will have everything already, but for anyone who's new and just dipping a toe into the water of Nick Cave, I'll happily send them out

At the risk of disappointing the forum and this thread, I will confess to not owning any Birthday Party CDs beyond "Hits", although I would dearly love to. Don't suppose you've got any of those looking for a home?

At the risk of disappointing the forum and this thread, I will confess to not owning any Birthday Party CDs beyond "Hits", although I would dearly love to. Don't suppose you've got any of those looking for a home?

The CDs are in a load of boxes under the bed in the spare room, I'll have a look this afternoon

The CDs are in a load of boxes under the bed in the spare room, I'll have a look this afternoon

Cool! Would be happy to pay postage and that.

Also, I think there are websites when you can sell a load of CDs in one batch, aren't there? Might be worth investigating.

Personally, I can't bear to part with them even though I have zero space.

Cool! Would be happy to pay postage and that.

Also, I think there are websites when you can sell a load of CDs in one batch, aren't there? Might be worth investigating.

Personally, I can't bear to part with them even though I have zero space.

I really ought to get my arse into gear to sort them out, probably got 1500-2000 CDs in there, and a load of DVDs too. Just feels wrong flogging them for 20p a pop. Would rather give them away to people who want them. Dunno. I guess I'll end up keeping them under the bed, out of sight, out of mind

Indeed :D

What are you taking in with you? I think I'm just going to get a blanket from primark. Or maybe a couple of cheap cushions.

Sunny so far in the shitty-City......

I am taking a blanket, a poncho and a couple of cans of gin :D

Bit of rain forecast for later, hopefully in error... But it will be awesome either way, I'm sure.

meh a bit of rain will probably suit this film.

What time are you planning on getting there?

Somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30, I reckon. Like you said, though, the screen is big so there's no real worry about getting a great spot. I work nearby so I may get bored and head down there earlier than expected.

And if you get rid, what happens in 30 years when the revival hots. Look at all the vinyl people discarded in the 80s and what it'd be worth now.

(I know I know it won't happen (or will it)).

But seriously how the fuck did everyone (myself included) buy the whole CDs sound better speel when all you have to do is listen to them to realise they don't. WTF was I hearing in my 20s?

I imagine the fact that they're little, low maintenance and durable was the reason why they took over, people who aren't vinyl nerds (aka most people) don't really five a shit, or even hear the difference between vinyl and CD. And there's the fact record companies told people to buy CDs, so they did.

This is the DJ, Jack Savidge:

https://soundcloud.com/jacksavidge

I'm not sure it's for me.

I really hope I don't sit next to any w*nkers who talk all the way through it.

nice one, looks like a load of complete and utter shit so I'll swerve that.

I'm hopeful that having paid £25 everyone there will just want to studiously watch the damn film! Hopefully there arent too many pissheads drinking cans of gin......................

It had better be LOUD.

nice one, looks like a load of complete and utter shit so I'll swerve that.

I'm hopeful that having paid £25 everyone there will just want to studiously watch the damn film! Hopefully there arent too many pissheads drinking cans of gin......................

It had better be LOUD.

:D

And I can handle my gin, thank you very much.

Yes, nice and loud please. And good point on the £25! I was pretty noisy and annoying during Mistaken For Strangers the second time, because it was free and I'd seen it the week before. The week before, when I'd paid for it, I watched in utter silence.

Okay, so I bloody loved 20,000 Days On Earth. It was sort of how I expected and sort of totally not in some ways and I'd say it isn't exactly an easy watch in that you have to kind of concentrate quite hard and there's a lot of pretty deep shit going down. I would say too that it's not really one for the casual Cave fan. Unlike the way Mistaken for Strangers had sort of universal appeal beyond The National fans, this was a pretty intense exploration of the inner workings of Mr Cave with just enough light humour thrown in now and again.

Looked beautiful too, cinematographically and some genuinely moving and sweet moments. The bit with Blixa I found particularly touching; it felt quite an intimate conversation to be witness to. The Nina Simone stories were ace!

Also great to see the Koko gig footage if not as much as I'd hoped. Hopefully they'll release it in full at some point, maybe as a DVD extra? It was lovely to see anyway and that made me quite emotional, knowing how hard I'd tried to get into the gig and how significant it felt. Totally saw me and my mate too! Her more than me, annoyingly.

All in all, bloody good film and very satisfying watch for the obsessives. The last sequence with Jubilee Street intercut with all the old footage was a thing of beauty.

Wish I'd brought a cushion though! Fucking hell was it uncomfortable - and cold - by the end! I look forward to watching it from a proper seat next time.

Okay, so I bloody loved 20,000 Days On Earth. It was sort of how I expected and sort of totally not in some ways and I'd say it isn't exactly an easy watch in that you have to kind of concentrate quite hard and there's a lot of pretty deep shit going down. I would say too that it's not really one for the casual Cave fan. Unlike the way Mistaken for Strangers had sort of universal appeal beyond The National fans, this was a pretty intense exploration of the inner workings of Mr Cave with just enough light humour thrown in now and again.

Looked beautiful too, cinematographically and some genuinely moving and sweet moments. The bit with Blixa I found particularly touching; it felt quite an intimate conversation to be witness to. The Nina Simone stories were ace!

Also great to see the Koko gig footage if not as much as I'd hoped. Hopefully they'll release it in full at some point, maybe as a DVD extra? It was lovely to see anyway and that made me quite emotional, knowing how hard I'd tried to get into the gig and how significant it felt. Totally saw me and my mate too! Her more than me, annoyingly.

All in all, bloody good film and very satisfying watch for the obsessives. The last sequence with Jubilee Street intercut with all the old footage was a thing of beauty.

Wish I'd brought a cushion though! Fucking hell was it uncomfortable - and cold - by the end! I look forward to watching it from a proper seat next time.

Ah glad you enjoyed it.

I didnt think it was as good as I hoped to be honest. I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity. I came away not really feeling like I knew him any better than I did before I went in.

It was very interesting to see the blixa bit (WAY too short though...) and the reason he gave for leaving the band was comforting.

And nick + warren are a great double act. Wish there had been more of them just chatting!

As you say, nowhere near enough music/concert footage.

My favourite part was how he described his feelings when he first met his wife.

I will never ever watch a film there though, horrendously uncomfortable.

Ah glad you enjoyed it.

I didnt think it was as good as I hoped to be honest. I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity. I came away not really feeling like I knew him any better than I did before I went in.

It was very interesting to see the blixa bit (WAY too short though...) and the reason he gave for leaving the band was comforting.

And nick + warren are a great double act. Wish there had been more of them just chatting!

As you say, nowhere near enough music/concert footage.

My favourite part was how he described his feelings when he first met his wife.

I will never ever watch a film there though, horrendously uncomfortable.

Nick and Warren chatting together over lunch was ace :D

I really enjoyed all the car passenger bits actually.

I felt like it showed him talking a lot about things he doesn't too often, like his dad and that, and it surprised me he let them do some of the things they did. He must really trust the directors, who I think are bloody lovely.

It's an odd little thing alright, though. Not sure I've seen a film like it I could compare it to. The odd mixture of real-life footage and contrived stuff (the therapy, the archive, the car passengers) made it feel a bit dream-like, which is perhaps what they were going for.

I loved the recording stuff too. Do you have that NMSWP DVD with all the recording footage? Love that.

Do you think that was really Warren's house?

I think it was the bit with the "psychologist" that I was most disappointed with. I dont think the stuff about his dad/childhood was particularly illuminating really. I enjoyed it when when they were looking through the old photos, but they should have actually put in some clips from back then I reckon, rather than just stills (they obviously had the footage as evidenced by the jubilee street bit at the end).

What bits were you surprised he let them do? I cant recall anything that put him in a bad light.

I was left wondering what the vision of the directors actually was. I'm glad I've seen it, but it's not something I'll watch again I suspect.

I assumed they'd show the kylie bit from the koko gig too, dunno why. Was funny to see that girl all flushed after he sung to her. Was that you???

I dont recall that dvd. I'm sure I must have it though, I'll have a look tonight.

Do you think that was really Warren's house?

I think it was the bit with the "psychologist" that I was most disappointed with. I dont think the stuff about his dad/childhood was particularly illuminating really. I enjoyed it when when they were looking through the old photos, but they should have actually put in some clips from back then I reckon, rather than just stills (they obviously had the footage as evidenced by the jubilee street bit at the end).

What bits were you surprised he let them do? I cant recall anything that put him in a bad light.

I was left wondering what the vision of the directors actually was. I'm glad I've seen it, but it's not something I'll watch again I suspect.

I assumed they'd show the kylie bit from the koko gig too, dunno why. Was funny to see that girl all flushed after he sung to her. Was that you???

I dont recall that dvd. I'm sure I must have it though, I'll have a look tonight.

Yeah, I think that was Warren's house. No idea where he lived, though.

I'm not sure of any particular bits that surprised me, just that the whole thing felt quite intimate and even self-indulgent in a way, which I tend not to think of as a way that he presents himself. I don't know, he seemed to talk quite a lot about his vulnerabilities and shortcomings as a performer and I'm not used to seeing him open up to people. He's usually a fucking prickly pear.

I agree it could have done with more old footage and I too was surprised about the Kylie omission. I sort of thought that was the point of that gig.

This is the DVD I'm on about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Is-The-House-DVD/dp/B0000A08NM

It's much more straightforward recording and concert footage and well beautiful, but then it's one of my favourite albums so...