Nick Cave

Midnight Man

I totally agree that it's madness, but so is the majority of this thread. Jim's madness may be less finely-tuned than that of the other list compilers but no less or more insane.

We've got people who writhe around on the floor speaking in tongues round here. What's a controversial song pick compared to that.

Thatchervia

This thread is actually an island of complete sanity, amid an ocean of madness and lunacy.

It's the only place on the internet I feel safe and at peace. The nearest thing I can compare it to is my mother's teat.

Edited by russycarps

Well obviously when the bullies are right it's different. And you were definitely wrong. :-)

Been trying to decide which album to put on in the car this aft. You've persuaded me!

orttopwinning

I didn't have it that low! Just lower than I should. I think when I first listened to all of Nick Cave's albums I listened to Henry's Dream maybe 5th or 6th, so at the time it just sounded like more of the (admittedly brilliant) same.

I would replace Mercy or As I Sat Sadly By Her Side with Papa Won't Leave You, Henry in my list, but once you start there's no stopping. We don't want that sort of thread-based anarchy here.

Edited by Winslow Leach

first time I listened to Henry's dream I didn't rate it as high as some of his other albums as there were a few songs which I didn't care as much for and didn't think the album flowed as well but since then the album has grown on me.

I think Cave has said once that he didn't like Henry's dream that much after he did it.

Revisited nocturama today to check if I'd been overly harsh.

It is a very very good aalbum. Would make a lot of artists' top ten I suppose.

But it is nowhere near as good as any of his Other albums - and rock of Gibraltar is truly horrendous.

Disagree. I love Rock of Gibraltar. And so does Cave for that matter :P

Still in love and right out of your hand are mine. On the latter, Conway's backing vocals are beautiful.

Think I must be developing some sort of man crush here. Noticed he added some moments of beauty to wide lovely eyes the other day.

When I first came to town is still his crowning glory but there's loads of other, more subtle, contributions since he joined that add a certain poignancy.

hat'sthat. u

mind

he's truly ace, he's got the perfect look for the band too.

you're gonna like little ghost song on the b sides album I suspect...

Edited by russycarps

Little Ghost Song ... Swoooooooon.

You need that B-sides album in your life, Scruff. I didn't just put it in my top five to be a pretentious w*nker, you know. It does actually contain a lot of my favourite Cave songs.

Yep it's easily up there with his best stuff. And it's fucking massive! what is it, 50 songs or so? My only complaint is the endless amounts of o'malleys shitting bar....

scruffy is going to wet his panties over the willow garden though.

Those O'Malley's Bar things are mostly tiny snippets of a few seconds or so. Some of them are quite funny.

Anyway, Disc 3 is where it's at. These songs are all incredible:

• Little Empty Boat
  • Come Into My Sleep
  • Babe, I Got You Bad
  • Sheep May Safely Graze
  • Opium Tea
  • Grief Came Riding
  • Good Good Day
  • Shoot Me Down
  • Swing Low
  • Little Ghost Song
  • Everything Must Converge
  • Nocturama
  • Under This Moon

Then I love Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum, the acoustic versions of Deanna, City of Refuge, Jack the Ripper and Mercy Seat, Tower Of Song, The Girl At The Bottom Of My Glass, Train Song, God’s Hotel, (I’ll Love You) Till The End Of The World... I could go on.

This album has a really special place in my heart, listened to nothing else for weeks.