Hip Hop and Rap Glastonbury 2024

MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

So, I'm curious. There's already a looooooooong dance thread, a "guitarry" thread on rock and indie, but not seen one for hip hop and rap for 2024. 

Danny Brown on West Holts would be an almost must-see for me. Lil Simz on Pyramid is an obvious one. Bobby Vylan is amazing and on Shangri La.

Anyone got any tips for artists already playing across the released line-up drops or hopefuls to be released at a later date?

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Bobby Vylan is amazing and on Shangri La.

They played Shangri La at about 3am in 2022, which will again be insane.

I’m hoping they’ll get a slot on one of the main stages too.

I've been disappointed by quite a few hip-hop acts at Glastonbury, including Wu Tang, as it often doesn't translate well to a big field.  Two performances stand out though: Public Enemy, who were well worth walking away from the Rolling Stones for, and Deltron 3030, which was the best performance I've ever seen at Glastonbury.  So in the spirit of starting poorly-evidence special guest rumours on here...  'Hieroglyphics' are playing in Falmouth on June 2nd, so that puts Del the Funky Homosapien (as well as the rest of Souls of MIschief) in the Westcountry at roughly the right time...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

'Hieroglyphics' are playing in Falmouth on June 2n

They’re playing quite a few gigs around Europe and then back in the Uk until mid June. It’d be great if they were playing Glasto as I can’t make the Bristol date but can’t really see it. Where would they play? Probably only really relevant to the over 40s hip hop heads!

Always seems to be a lack of hip hop at Glasto, even when decent acts are touring and playing festivals. A real shame Danger Mouse and Black Thought didn’t get asked to play when Cheat Codes was out. And looks like no chance of Killer Mike this year, despite his album being decent and picking up awards.

The Saloon Carousel had quite a few less mainstream UK hip hop acts in previous years though.

• Like 1

Massive moment for Simz and so well deserved but I still think it’s a tough Pyramid audience slot to bring her brand of hip hop to. 
I tend to think exuberance sells live hip hop so Danny Brown likely to pop. Noname super worth seeing - I’m expecting more hip hop on lonely hearts, I thought Kevin Abstract might be quite likely?

1 minute ago, t0paz said:

They’re playing quite a few gigs around Europe and then back in the Uk until mid June. It’d be great if they were playing Glasto as I can’t make the Bristol date but can’t really see it. Where would they play? Probably only really relevant to the over 40s hip hop heads!

Always seems to be a lack of hip hop at Glasto, even when decent acts are touring and playing festivals. A real shame Danger Mouse and Black Thought didn’t get asked to play when Cheat Codes was out. And looks like no chance of Killer Mike this year, despite his album being decent and picking up awards.

The Saloon Carousel had quite a few less mainstream UK hip hop acts in previous years though.

Would LOVE me some killer Mike - but I think we’re past the moment - would surely sub or headline West Holts…

6 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Earl Sweatshirt played Lonely Hearts in Silver Hayes last year, so maybe there..? Would love to see Del and company, No need for alarm was played constantly in my teens.

8 minutes ago, t0paz said:

When they last played, it was on West Holts, on a ridiculously early slot.  A bit of a shame for all that stagecraft to be going off in broad daylight to a smallish crowd, but good for selfish reasons - i.e. easy to get the perfect spot to watch them.

But no - I don't believe my own rumour that any of them will be finding their way to Glastonbury.  Would be a great little surprise, but I've got a ticket to one of their UK gigs anyway.

17 hours ago, hpops said:

Massive moment for Simz and so well deserved but I still think it’s a tough Pyramid audience slot to bring her brand of hip hop to. 
I tend to think exuberance sells live hip hop so Danny Brown likely to pop. Noname super worth seeing - I’m expecting more hip hop on lonely hearts, I thought Kevin Abstract might be quite likely?

Agreed about the Pyramid crowd. I remember watching RTJ on that stage and good as they were, it wasn't a patch on their West Holts set. I can't see Janelle Monáe bettering her phenomenal West Holts set either, although she does have the energy to rise to the moment and isn't purely a hip hop act, whereas I felt Simz only just met the occasion on West Holts, personally. I hope to be proven very wrong, and can't wait to find out.

The only rapper I think nailed it on Pyramid was Stormzy, delivering a set for the ages.

18 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Would be class if they got a chance somewhere else. Not sure they're big enough though just yet?

I’d definitely say big enough for a Park or Woodsies slot lower down. Maybe a slot on the Leftfield if not.

I saw them at a headline show at SWX in Bristol end of last year which I believe was sold out.

Could be one of the sets of the weekend. Fingers crossed 🤞

Edited by JackP1994

Really hoping for Armand Hammer to show up. They're playing a few festivals around Europe this summer, hoping they pop up in the Silver Hayes announcement like Earl Sweatshirt last year, or maybe have an early Park/Woodsies slot.

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 5:17 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

I've been disappointed by quite a few hip-hop acts at Glastonbury, including Wu Tang, as it often doesn't translate well to a big field.  Two performances stand out though: Public Enemy, who were well worth walking away from the Rolling Stones for, and Deltron 3030, which was the best performance I've ever seen at Glastonbury.  So in the spirit of starting poorly-evidence special guest rumours on here...  'Hieroglyphics' are playing in Falmouth on June 2nd, so that puts Del the Funky Homosapien (as well as the rest of Souls of MIschief) in the Westcountry at roughly the right time...

I dunno, I've enjoyed a fair few sets on the Pyramid and West Holts and other large outdoor performances. Wu Tang were prob the weakest of the bunch but I still enjoyed them a lot. De La Soul were brilliant in 2014 in the middle of the day. I thought RTJ on Pyramid were also great, prob my fave gig of the whole weekend although I counted them as my favourite artist at the time and I was on the barrier which prob added to it all. Snoop was also fantastic in 2010 on the Pyramid. They all had the crowd in the palm of their hands. J5, Q-Tip, Big Boi, Brother Ali were all class on WH. Dizzee Rascal in 2017 were our Friday night headliner and his show was insane, well worth ditching Radiohead for. 

EDIT: Actually the only time I've been disappointed - to the point of walking away, was Earl Sweatshirt last year in Silver Hayes. He acted like he wanted to get away as quickly as possible. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

I'm not the biggest fan of the genre but there seems noticeably less on then previous years (although it used to be centred around Silver Hayes tbf).

Is it just a coincidence, or has there been a shift in listening styles in the UK, or has the Stormzy effect worn off? 

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I dunno, I've enjoyed a fair few sets on the Pyramid and West Holts and other large outdoor performances. Wu Tang were prob the weakest of the bunch but I still enjoyed them a lot. De La Soul were brilliant in 2014 in the middle of the day. I thought RTJ on Pyramid were also great, prob my fave gig of the whole weekend although I counted them as my favourite artist at the time and I was on the barrier which prob added to it all. Snoop was also fantastic in 2010 on the Pyramid. They all had the crowd in the palm of their hands. J5, Q-Tip, Big Boi, Brother Ali were all class on WH. Dizzee Rascal in 2017 were our Friday night headliner and his show was insane, well worth ditching Radiohead for. 

EDIT: Actually the only time I've been disappointed - to the point of walking away, was Earl Sweatshirt last year in Silver Hayes. He acted like he wanted to get away as quickly as possible. 

Not the first time I've read this but I thought he was fantastic. Really funny and personable between songs and has a confidence that doesn't rely on his audience to feed. Helps for me that every album he brings out is wall to wall just brilliant. 

13 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Not the first time I've read this but I thought he was fantastic. Really funny and personable between songs and has a confidence that doesn't rely on his audience to feed. Helps for me that every album he brings out is wall to wall just brilliant. 

I thought he seemed distracted and seemed to be banging on about the Fugees half of the time. Admittedly I was only passing by on the way to Central Cee but it didn't really work on a stage where you could just walk past if you weren't really getting the vibe. Was there for about 10-15 mins but it was all over the place.

57 minutes ago, 1986 said:

I was there anyway because I'd just seen Joesef who had been awesome, but ES just came out moaning about this and that, it didn't really capture me. But it's all personal opinion, of course. Perhaps if I'd stayed longer he would've warmed up a bit. 

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I was there anyway because I'd just seen Joesef who had been awesome, but ES just came out moaning about this and that, it didn't really capture me. But it's all personal opinion, of course. Perhaps if I'd stayed longer he would've warmed up a bit. 

I remember he came out moaning about the heat and told people to stop dancing cus its too hot for it. I just thought it was hilarious 🙂 We agree on Joesef though he was brilliant as well. Lonely Hearts Club is building up to be one of my fave stages as time goes on.

Really curious about the Little Simz show. She does have the skill and energy to smash it though. 

A couple of years back people were saying that in a fair world Little Simz should be headlining the pyramid and that felt like a really crazy fever dream idea. But now she's subbing that stage, I do hope one day she'll get the shot. 

1 minute ago, matrainertje said:

Really curious about the Little Simz show. She does have the skill and energy to smash it though. 

A couple of years back people were saying that in a fair world Little Simz should be headlining the pyramid and that felt like a really crazy fever dream idea. But now she's subbing that stage, I do hope one day she'll get the shot. 

She was superb headlining the West Holts stage in 2022

• Like 1