This years special guests?

theciderviking

On 4/25/2024 at 8:57 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plus, although there are obvious exceptions, lots of acts don't actually do it - Arctic Monkeys, Guns'n'Roses, Billie Eilish, Kendrick, The Cure - and going back further Kanye, the Stones, Bowie, Radiohead, Adele, Foo Fighters etc all performed without them.

Guns n roses brought out Dave ghrol for paradise city 

My biggest prediction on the Special guests front is that people will invent a couple that they want to believe, this will be favourable to more people that will choose to champion  the rumour over time facts will be invented (hotel bookings etc)  eventually it will be repeated like a fact and then ultimately people will be disappointed and even angry that something that was never on the cards did not happen. .

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 1:16 PM, lendan said:

Coldplay had the likes of Ed Sheeran and Stromzy on their recent tour, on the night we went it was Alan Partridge - i've never been so dissappointed, although some here will say AP is better than ES!!!

All I would hope. 😉

On 4/25/2024 at 9:00 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

Maybe I’m naive but I’d believed many do for free, or maybe just travel costs? I’d have thought if McCartney rings you up requesting you to do a song with him you wouldn’t be saying how much is it worth? 

my view too is that its "a favour for a mate" sort-of thing, which is usually good promotion  for both cos it get them talked about.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:15 AM, wro_lap said:

I've heard Brian Fallon from Gaslight tell this story multiple times on podcasts. He had never met Bruce before, but Bruce is his favourite artist of all time. The band rocked up to go on stage, and Bruce was just stood there, and said hello. Brian freaked out, and Bruce asked "can I play on that song The 59 Sound?" and Brian was like uhhh yes please. Or so the story goes.

I'm not sure if he's omitted a section of the story where Bruce asks for 10 grand to play with them - but what I do know if Brian talks about it as maybe the best moment of his life, as he had no indication Bruce had heard of the band. Of course he went on to appear with Bruce to sing No Surrender that night, and it's safe to say there's a lot more in it for Gaslight than Bruce when it comes to exposure!

Maybe he said this for a podcast, but given that they did the same thing the next night at Hyde Park for a gig that was always intended to be a live dvd release, i'm sure there had to be some advance planning/contact and the Glastonbury/pryamid 'No Surrender' was a bit of a rehearsal for the next night/dvd show. 

This stuff about Bruce getting paid a fee for his Macca pyramid appearance is nonsense. fly him over for sure, but no fee, just an agreement...they did Glory Days about 2 weeks prior at Macca's Meadowlands stadium show in NJ... 

Never really thought much of the special guests thing as a whole.  I didn't think it added anything.  That was until Dave Grohl came on with Macca for Band on The Run.  I f**king love that song anyway, so was delighted, but seeing Diamond Dave looking completely starstruck stood next to Macca was incredible scenes.  I'm no huge Springsteen fan TBH, so couldn't have cared either way when he came on, but the field - already super hyped - went next level.  Just being in that crowd was an amazing feeling.

I now get it.  If it's done properly.

I fully expect both Dua Lipa and Coldplay to have guests.  Kylie would be my guess for Coldplay.  Dua Lipa couldn't possibly get Rag back on el Pointo, could she?

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not after she didn't come out for his gig.

not necessarily - they aren't going to do it two years in a row, sure. But I think it's entirely in the realm of possibility that she knew she was headling 2024 before he took the stage in 23. They could have easily decided together, "let's do it in 24" 

Just now, Justcalledtosay said:

Agreed. Sounded a little bit sour. I'm not sure he even mentioned her by name did he?

"The person who I did this song couldn't be here tonight so I need you to sing her bits" - or words to that effect.

Didnt clock it at the time but watching it back it was salty AF.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"The person who I did this song couldn't be here tonight so I need you to sing her bits" - or words to that effect.

Didnt clock it at the time but watching it back it was salty AF.

Yeah, but she rocked up for the Dodgers Stadium gig, so fair play.