Why don’t they sell wood anymore?

Franky

12 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Frightens me death to thinking of a fire in some of those campsites - its so tightly packed. 

i've seen a few tents go up - decades ago, was probably in the 1980s, but it didn't spread to other tents, luckily.

Late 90s and early 2000s it was ALWAYS a thing to have a campfire in the camping areas and go sit by one and have a chat with your neighbours. Last yr some lads near us tried to light one and the tent next to us flipped out and made them put it out. Seems to not be a thing these days 

13 hours ago, Neil said:

Haven't they stopped the piles of firewood?

Don’t think so… my photos above from 2022 anyway. Not sure about last year! 

2 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

You know, I've often walked past these big piles of free wood days into the festival and thought that it was a miracle that some cheeky little scamp with a head full of persians hadn't simply set fire to it all for a laugh and a big impromptu bonfire on the pathway... 

If it was at Reading it would have been lit but we don’t behave like that at Glasto! 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Don’t think so… my photos above from 2022 anyway. Not sure about last year! 

Definitely seemed to be less of it last few times I was camping up where they dump it

58 minutes ago, Masterluke3 said:

Late 90s and early 2000s it was ALWAYS a thing to have a campfire in the camping areas and go sit by one and have a chat with your neighbours. Last yr some lads near us tried to light one and the tent next to us flipped out and made them put it out. Seems to not be a thing these days 

What a bunch of dicks!

1 hour ago, Neville Street said:

2009 was our last fire. After Blur. We had such a great spot that year, top of Kidney Mead, view of the Pyramid.

2009 for us too. Not because we weren’t allowed or there was a lack of wood but because there’s so much to do during those hours that no one wants to sit at the tents anymore! 

It’s a shame as it could be fun. Random people stopping off as they walked by, some for a minute others for the whole night 😂 neighbours joining etc.

A funny memory - one of my mates bought a whole tub of chuppa chup lollies with him and people kept stopping and asking for a lolly while we were all sitting round the fire.  It turned into a competition with a group of lads seeing how many lollies they could fit in their mouth at once! Can’t remember the results but the winner was impressive and about double the amount of the others 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuie said:

2009 for us too. Not because we weren’t allowed or there was a lack of wood but because there’s so much to do during those hours that no one wants to sit at the tents anymore! 

Very true, it was a, great thing to do when you were making your own entertainment, but there's so much great stuff to do now. 

We’ve always had a camp fire. 

Some of our group bring kids now and we are cracking on a bit so a nice campfire after a long day works for us. 

I can honestly say we always bring our own wood. I don’t know what time those pics were taken but as I say I haven’t seen free wood at Glasto since 2005 😂

Maybe because we started brining our own. 

Love a camp fire me, I might even turn the flames blue 😉

1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Sitting around a clutch of those huge wax candles up at the stone circle is something that doesn't happen anymore.  They could sometimes turn into a bonfire when someone random turns up with some wood.

Those things (the big candles) were so beautiful, really made the atmosphere up there. I miss them. 

18 hours ago, Masterluke3 said:

Yeah they were worried about safety. Really highlighted to me that the demographic has changed quite a bit 

Well yeah, there's loads more people about I wouldn't trust to be able to safely look after a fire these days.

17 hours ago, Franky said:

We’ve always had a camp fire. 

Some of our group bring kids now and we are cracking on a bit so a nice campfire after a long day works for us. 

I can honestly say we always bring our own wood. I don’t know what time those pics were taken but as I say I haven’t seen free wood at Glasto since 2005 😂

Maybe because we started brining our own. 

Love a camp fire me, I might even turn the flames blue 😉

Defo still there chief.

We picked up some wood last year, it's on the railway line just after the long drops, at the junction between Greenpeace & Green Futures/Croissant Neuf

• Thanks 1