Why don’t they sell wood anymore?

Franky

Just now, Franky said:

I’m getting old and dragging a trolley with half a tonne of wood in it isn’t getting any easier. 

Why did they stop selling wood? 

Because there's no demand as it's available free?

There's at least two points on site (Railway track near Greenpeace, and about a quarter of the way up Muddy Lane) that piles of free firewood are placed by the festival. Possibly more than two.

It used to be that those piles were depleted by about 11am Wednesday, but the last couple years they've lasted until well into the weekend and so with that available I'm not sure why anyone would bother paying.

3 minutes ago, Franky said:

I’m getting old and dragging a trolley with half a tonne of wood in it isn’t getting any easier. 

Tents have got bigger likely they need that space for camping 

1 hour ago, Franky said:

i don't remember them ever selling wood, but a few shady geezers used to horde some of the old pallets the festival always had delivered and sold wood to punters.

1 minute ago, Nuthugger said:

theres less wood because we are running out because of deforestation. so sad

It's definitely not that because the wood was scrap wood. 

The real reason is because the wood smoke got trapped by conditions in the valley and caused bad air quality. And I think the festival felt that bad air and burning fires wasn't a great thing for a festival with a green ethos.

2 hours ago, Franky said:

I have not seen ANY free wood at Glastonbury since 2005! 

You must have walked past it on the railway line by Greenfields! 
IMG_0460.thumb.jpeg.bf476a04aba50aac7b986c2095e924a2.jpegIMG_0459.thumb.jpeg.41a16b39cc879b8d1adc1db7bdb6ec2a.jpeg

Just now, Neil said:

It's definitely not that because the wood was scrap wood. 

The real reason is because the wood smoke got trapped by conditions in the valley and caused bad air quality. And I think the festival felt that bad air and burning fires wasn't a great thing for a festival with a green ethos.

and you know where scrap wood comes from? trees. be in denial all you want but can anyone here actually see a tree right now? i rest my case

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

If that was the real reason then I doubt they’d leave massive piles of fire wood?!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stuie said:

If that was the real reason then I doubt they’d leave massive piles of fire wood?!

Haven't they stopped the piles of firewood?

19 minutes ago, Nuthugger said:

and you know where scrap wood comes from? trees. be in denial all you want but can anyone here actually see a tree right now? i rest my case

That scrap wood had had a whole new life beyond being a tree. No extra trees were felled by the burning of that scap wood, can't say the same about green party election leaflets.

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

you are sitting round a digital campfire here my friend.....

I didn't sit down, looked in and went elsewhere, just got back, glad to see someone kept the fire going 

8 hours ago, Neil said:

That scrap wood had had a whole new life beyond being a tree. No extra trees were felled by the burning of that scap wood, can't say the same about green party election leaflets.

well yes green party election leaflets are pretty wasteful when you think of how many green party members actually get elected......

Sitting round the campfire post headliners tailed off for our group around 2008/09 once the late night stuff really got going and people preferred to gurn away at dance stage all night rather than stare into a fire at the tents.

11 hours ago, stuie said:

You must have walked past it on the railway line by Greenfields! 
IMG_0460.thumb.jpeg.bf476a04aba50aac7b986c2095e924a2.jpegIMG_0459.thumb.jpeg.41a16b39cc879b8d1adc1db7bdb6ec2a.jpeg

You know, I've often walked past these big piles of free wood days into the festival and thought that it was a miracle that some cheeky little scamp with a head full of persians hadn't simply set fire to it all for a laugh and a big impromptu bonfire on the pathway... 

6 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Not much space between tents for fires these days is there?

You can head to Stone Circle for fires, they seem a fun bunch - they have balloons too 🤪

Frightens me death to thinking of a fire in some of those campsites - its so tightly packed.